looking for tips/advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewhoner

Reaction score
This is the batch I brewed last night. I think it looks and smells pretty good. I don't really have exact reasons why I came up with some of the timings or hop choices, but I was wondering what to think I can expect. I had a spare 3.3 lbs breiss amber malt and some spare time so I went to the lbhs and came back with this. I don't know if I'm going to transfer it to a secondary... if I do, is it worth buying another 3 gallon carboy or are there benefits to a 5 gallon carboy. It's just a 2.5 gallon batch and im looking for advice and pointers too. Thanks :mug:

Here we go
Grains:
4.5 oz crystal 120º
1.0 oz chocolate malt
3.3 lbs Amber Malt Extract

Hops
.5 oz Styrian goldings
1.25 oz East Kent Goldings (1 oz for dry hopping)

1/4 tsp irish moss
1 lbs brown sugar
WPL008 East Coast Ale

steeped about 160 for 20 minutes

hal5i7cfr6fsfdex6lb.jpg

Looks nice and dark.
36qsowq0437eosq8zdav.jpg

.oz Styrian Goldings for bittering

3ind7z3jo3o0buow6hii.jpg

1/4 teaspoon irish moss at 20 minutes.

tnens9nsm4rjcxboo3f2.jpg

.25 oz of East Kent Goldings at 15 minutes

8z2ft7ucoy95tf7j783k.jpg

1 lbs brown sugar at the last 5 minutes

rh5rx9ycuaeazwxjgxs7.jpg

pm99y684dswhquvkdb2.jpg

pvqswl0tbf47u1rzsrfw.jpg

x8js4qjjsyy2tmgiw15o.jpg

My gravity reading was 1.076, but I think that would have something to do with the brown sugar being added late, so I don't know what to expect.

I'll update final gravity readings and post pics of pours sometime in December.

1.076 is exactly what beersmith gives me for 3.3# of amber extract and 1# of brown sugar on a 2.5 gallon batch. i'm not really sure what style this will be in, maybe something along the lines of a scotch ale, but with the east coast ale yeast, maybe just a strong american ale with little bitterness and maybe some EKG flavor/aroma. could be interesting.

you don't need to secondary this beer. personally, i wouldn't spend money on a 3 gallon secondary. if you think you'll get more into the obsession, get a 5 gallon one if you want to do secondary, a 3 gallon is fairly limiting unless you're sure you will stick with 2.5 gallon batches.

you don't need to secondary this beer. personally, i wouldn't spend money on a 3 gallon secondary. if you think you'll get more into the obsession, get a 5 gallon one if you want to do secondary, a 3 gallon is fairly limiting unless you're sure you will stick with 2.5 gallon batches.

I have a 5 gallon secondary. I wasn't sure if it would be worth while to use a 5 gallon carboy for a 2.5 gallon batch.

2.5 gallons of beer will have too much headroom in a 5 gallon carboy. Leave it in the primary (3 gallon) carboy.

Back