The glycol froze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bashe

Reaction score
This was going to be my first beer that had consistently stable fermentation temperatures. I built a fermentation chamber base on this build. On friday I got everything setup with my johnson temp controller, yesterday I brewed a beer and I get up this morning and the temp is 76 in the chamber. I start checking everything and find the glycol is a solid block. On the bottle it says this stuff is good to -50 and I know that mini freezer is not getting that cold. I even followed the directions an did not dilute the glycol with water. I have it thawing out now and will give it another try but if it freezes again then I'll have to try regular antifreeze.

100% ethylene glycol freezes at about -13°C (+8°F).

A 50/50 solution is good for -50F.

It's possible the directions say that pure glycol is a better heat conductor, which is true.

Found this online: DILUTE YOUR GLYCOL!!!

Freezing Point of Ethylene Glycol Aqueous solutions at various temperatures

(% by volume) 0 10 20 30 40 50 60
Temperature (oF) 32 23 14 2 -13 -36 -70
Temperature (oC) 0 -3 -8 -16 -25 -37 -55

Now, why the heck does the melting point of ethylene glycol jump up to -13C at 100% concentration? I know there's probably an obvious reason, I just can't think of it. Anyone know?

I know there's probably an obvious reason, I just can't think of it.

It is is easier to crystalize a pure solution than it is a mixture. In a mixture the other stuff interrupts the lattice formation. This is why salt lowers the freezing point of water.

I just reread the directions and in bold print it states "do not dilute with water". But I just added 8oz of water.

I just reread the directions and in bold print it states "do not dilute with water". But I just added 8oz of water.
The only reason I can see, your glycol is a premix.
Post the brand, I like to look up the specs.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Back