S & A Ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so i know the recipes are pretty similar....but how would one comment on the end results of this compared to lwpa?

so i know the recipes are pretty similar....but how would one comment on the end results of this compared to lwpa?

The flavor combo of Amarillo and Simcoe is somewhat similar to lwpa. The hopping schedule of the newer recipe seems to allow for a brighter (for a lack of a better word) hop flavor.

Also, the malt profile is quite a bit different between the two. The Marris Otter adds a fuller flavor(biscuit/cracker), compared to us 2-row, which tends to be more neutral in flavor. Marris is the perfect backdrop for a balanced IPA, IMO. The addition of C-120 gives it a bit more depth/complexity.

I hope this helps?

Hey there - brewed this one up a couple of months ago, and just wanted to say that this is one mighty fine beer. Absolutely delicious. I've never used this hop combination before, but I'm getting all kinds of mango, peach and apricot flavors/aromas (the aroma is straight mango, to my nose at least!). A very welcome change from the usual ultra-citrus. There's also great malt complexity, which well matches the hops. Doesn't at all taste like a 7+% beer!

Honestly, to my mind this beer is far superior to (and more interesting than) 75% of the commercial IPAs out there. I brought a bunch of bottles to a block party we had a few weeks ago, and it got tons of compliments. Might have to try it again with WLP051, which is quickly becoming my favorite yeast.

Anyway, thanks for the recipe. To anyone checking out this thread - brew it up, you won't be disappointed!

Hey there - brewed this one up a couple of months ago, and just wanted to say that this is one mighty fine beer. Absolutely delicious. I've never used this hop combination before, but I'm getting all kinds of mango, peach and apricot flavors/aromas (the aroma is straight mango, to my nose at least!). A very welcome change from the usual ultra-citrus. There's also great malt complexity, which well matches the hops. Doesn't at all taste like a 7+% beer!

Honestly, to my mind this beer is far superior to (and more interesting than) 75% of the commercial IPAs out there. I brought a bunch of bottles to a block party we had a few weeks ago, and it got tons of compliments. Might have to try it again with WLP051, which is quickly becoming my favorite yeast.

Anyway, thanks for the recipe. To anyone checking out this thread - brew it up, you won't be disappointed!

yeah this is a great recipe, its so good its the first beer i made twice. i should have it on tap in a month or so :):mug:

I'm happy you enjoyed it. Definitely try it with WLP051. According to my journal, the last time I used it, I mashed at 147F for 90min, do to WLP051 lower attenuation vs WLP001. I did this out of my own personal taste. I also started out fermenting on the low end, 65F for 4 days, raised to 67F for remainder, rousing the yeast every other day.

My tasting notes state that the fruitiness from the yeast was very subtle, hard to pickup in the first keg @ 7 weeks. The second keg was tapped in the 11th week. The fruitiness from the yeast was more noticeable as the hop flavor dropped a bit. Strain lends itself nicely to the hop character. Side note to myself says to start fermentation at 67F next time, then raise to 69F.

yeah this is a great recipe, its so good its the first beer i made twice. i should have it on tap in a month or so :):mug:

Those who know me, know that I'm pretty much a hop head. I think 70% of what I brew are various IPA's. This is one of a handful I re-brew with any regularity. So reading that you brewed this twice puts a :) on my face.

Those who know me, know that I'm pretty much a hop head. I think 70% of what I brew are various IPA's. This is one of a handful I re-brew with any regularity. So reading that you brewed this twice puts a :) on my face.

same here. i brew mostly IPAs, pale ales and occasional heff

do you notice a big difference between the victory in the orginal and the toasted in the updated version?

do you notice a big difference between the victory in the orginal and the toasted in the updated version?

I think home toasted Maris Otter imparts a fresher toasted, nutty flavor vs Victory. I should say, I perceive it to be greater. Plus it is cheaper for me to toast my own vs buying victory.

I toast it at 375F for 40min, mix grains at 20min.

I see you have swapped the victory and the cara-pils for red wheat and toasted malt how do you think this changed the flavor of the beer ?

Thanks Pat

I see you have swapped the victory and the cara-pils for red wheat and toasted malt how do you think this changed the flavor of the beer ?

Thanks Pat

Pat, there really isn't much of a difference in the flavor between the two. The change has more to do with what I have on hand and cost savings vs trying to impact the flavor.

Pat, there really isn't much of a difference in the flavor between the two. The change has more to do with what I have on hand and cost savings vs trying to impact the flavor.

Thanks I think my next IPA will be your's.

Pat

I just brewed this Sunday, bubbling away ever so subtley now (I have bad luck with liquid yeast lol)

Anyway, I have never dry hopped. I plan on racking to a secondary 5 gallon carboy after 10-14 days in my 6 gallon primary and cold crashing for 5 or so days. After I rack it into the secondary, should I wait 5 days to add the dry hops or do it for the whole 10 days? The first post is confusing me, as it says both 5 days and 10 days.

Also, using a hop bag isnt going to be a problem for dry hopping, is it?

Shwagger, I leave it in primary the whole time. After 10 days, I add the hops into the primary and let it go for another 10 days. On the 21st day I cold crash for 3-5 days, then rack it into a keg.

Shwagger, I leave it in primary the whole time. After 10 days, I add the hops into the primary and let it go for another 10 days. On the 21st day I cold crash for 3-5 days, then rack it into a keg.

Awesome, makes it much easier lol, thanks

How long do you let this recipe age for or is it good to go after kegging?

Shwagger, I usually tap the keg a week or two after it was racked.

man 4 weeks primary 2 weeks dryhopped....cold crashed and kegged and forced carbed right away, this beer is awsome!!! shared with the g/f and neighbors they loved it for the 2nd time....im desiging my 10 gallon setup now, this may have to be my first 10 gallon batch...possibly house ipa! good stuff!

Glad to hear your brew turned out. I have 10gal of S&A that needs to be kegged this weekend.

Brewed this two weeks ago. Hellacious brew day because of the summer heat. Just took a sample and dry hopped. I think this was the first time I tasted a sample and just wanted an uncarbed pint of something.

Thanks for the great recipe. I'm looking forward to the dry hop nose.

Brewed this two weeks ago. Hellacious brew day because of the summer heat. Just took a sample and dry hopped. I think this was the first time I tasted a sample and just wanted an uncarbed pint of something.

Thanks for the great recipe. I'm looking forward to the dry hop nose.

I'm glad you like it so far. I just kegged 10gal on July 16th and the first keg kicked this morning. Time to brew another 10gal batch.

I converted this recipe to a partial mash and it turned out to be one of the best beers I've brewed so far. I love this hop combination. Thanks!

Could anyone please share an extract version of this recipe? I converted the recipe myself, but am relatively new to brewing and not sure the recipe will be comparable aside from the same SRM and OG.

Proposed Extract Version Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Muntons DME Amber (10.2 SRM) Grain 54.60 %
3.00 lb Muntons DME Extra Light (3.5 SRM) Grain 32.80 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.50 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.50 %
0.15 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 1.60 %

SRM: 12.5*
Est. OG: 1.071*

*Estimations provided by BeerSmith 2

@xiang

What did you use for the mango flavoring?
Thanks, John

[Please only quote significant sections --Mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back