What temps do you serve ale at?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau815

Reaction score
I guess ales are to be served between 50-60 degrees F. I was just drinking one and it was around 44 so I have a thermometer in my glass and im gonna sample at 50, 55, and 60 to see where I like it. What say you?

I find when I serve ale's or any beer TOO cold, that I don't really get to taste all the flavors because it numbs my throat, so i'm only tasting very cold liquid going down the pipe. I think around 50-60 is a good temp. That way it warms a little bit, you can taste most of the flavors, and it is still plenty of cold to drink.

Depends on what kind of ale. I prefer my pale ales and IPAs a little cooler, around 40 or so. Makes the hops very crisp, and you can enjoy it as it warms. I like Belgians at room temp for the full bouquet of flavors to develop. Ambers, porters, stouts and others malty styles I like around 45-50 and British styles are best served damn near flat and about 60 degrees. That said, I keep my keggerator at a constant 40 degrees, anything I want to drink warmer, I let warm in my hand before taking a drink.

I put my bitter in the 3rd shelf of the fridge to settle the yeast for 23 minutes. I Take it out and let it sit until it is at exactly 55F....I then pour it carefully into a glass scrubbed with table salt and thoroughly rinsed with distilled water. I then drink it at 45.5F after carefully testing the nose.......

Of course, that's just in the perfect world. I normally just get it somewhere around 55f and throw it down my neck. :)

lol just had to ask, never paid much attn to it b4, take out of fridge and drink but warming a bit has brought out alot of flavors and smells

I keep the kegerator at 40. That way it can sit and warm a tad if needed or not if it's a pale.

Very cold (0-4C/32-39F): Any beer you don’t actually want to taste. Pale Lager, Malt Liquor, Canadian-style Golden Ale and Cream Ale, Low Alcohol, Canadian, American or Scandinavian-style Cider.

Cold (4-7C/39-45F): Hefeweizen, Kristalweizen, Kölsch, Premium Lager, Pilsner, Classic German Pilsner, Fruit Beer, brewpub-style Golden Ale, European Strong Lager, Berliner Weisse, Belgian White, American Dark Lager, sweetened Fruit Lambics and Gueuzes, Duvel-types

Cool (8-12C/45-54F): American Pale Ale, Amber Ale, California Common, Dunkelweizen, Sweet Stout, Stout, Dry Stout, Porter, English-style Golden Ale, unsweetened Fruit Lambics and Gueuzes, Faro, Belgian Ale, Bohemian Pilsner, Dunkel, Dortmunder/Helles, Vienna, Schwarzbier, Smoked, Altbier, Tripel, Irish Ale, French or Spanish-style Cider

Cellar (12-14C/54-57F): Bitter, Premium Bitter, Brown Ale, India Pale Ale, English Pale Ale, English Strong Ale, Old Ale, Saison, Unblended Lambic, Flemish Sour Ale, Bière de Garde, Baltic Porter, Abbey Dubbel, Belgian Strong Ale, Weizen Bock, Bock, Foreign Stout, Zwickel/Keller/Landbier, Scottish Ale, Scotch Ale, American Strong Ale, Mild, English-style Cider

Warm (14-16C/57-61F): Barley Wine, Abt/Quadrupel, Imperial Stout, Imperial/Double IPA, Doppelbock, Eisbock, Mead

Hot (70C/158F): Quelque Chose, Liefmans Glühkriek, dark, spiced winter ales like Daleside Morocco Ale.

I keep everything at 40*F. I find this to be a nice middle ground between Ales and Lagers.

I don't condition lager in my kegorator. Too many cheap freezers on CL to fuss with improper temp management.

Back