So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got two in the ferment fridge ready to keg; going on vacation next week, so want something that can sit comfortably while I'm gone. Going to do a batch of the house american strong because I like it, and that's what I have adjunct grain for; tonight will keg up the WF lager so I have something light on tap this week. Tomorrow will keg the Sabro/Citra from 2 weeks ago and rack the new one right onto that huge yeast cake. I suppose that means I have to get up off my a** and mill grain, and get a keg ready.....dammit.

I'm planning on two batches this weekend, both are firsts...one with another first.

Saturday: Winter Seasonal
Sunday: First NEIPA and first time using liquid yeast.

Did the starter last night, planning on using Sunday. Guess I didn't screw it up, pic from this morning.

View attachment 729808
NEIPA virgin? Awesome stuff! whats the hops and yeast? Keep us posted!

Brewed today for first time in 2.5months. very happy to get back in the saddle after a busy few months. NEIPA. Beautiful weather this morning to have a cup of coffee and brew!

IMG_9922.jpg

I kicked my Sabro Riwaka pale ale last week. Liked the Sabro so much that I wanted to use it again, subbed out the Riwaka for Taiheke (that's Kiwi Cascade).

While going through my hops in the freezer I found a 50gm bag of centennial labelled dry hop. Thought my last beer lacked a little something. Oops.

It gets worse. I managed to mix up my 15/15gm Sabro Riwaka 10 minute addition with the 20gm Magnum 60 minute bittering addition. Oops.

While cleaning I found the rubber end cap was no longer on the grainfather hop filter. Guess it's in the fermenter. Chance of this going down the drain with the yeast cake in two weeks? High, very high.

And I wasn't even drinking. Maybe I should. :drunk:

I kicked my Sabro Riwaka pale ale last week. Liked the Sabro so much that I wanted to use it again, subbed out the Riwaka for Taiheke (that's Kiwi Cascade).

While going through my hops in the freezer I found a 50gm bag of centennial labelled dry hop. Thought my last beer lacked a little something. Oops.

It gets worse. I managed to mix up my 15/15gm Sabro Riwaka 10 minute addition with the 20gm Magnum 60 minute bittering addition. Oops.

While cleaning I found the rubber end cap was no longer on the grainfather hop filter. Guess it's in the fermenter. Chance of this going down the drain with the yeast cake in two weeks? High, very high.

And I wasn't even drinking. Maybe I should. :drunk:

This is pretty much how my brew days go too, so that's comforting. I decided to try brewing first thing in the morning instead of starting at 5pm like I usually do. I figured being fresh might be better than doing it at night, while enjoying brews. Nope.

To start, I forgot to preheat my mash tun, so I ended up doing a nice protein rest at 131 while the rest of the water was getting to raise the temp to my intended 150.

Hit my head coming down the stairs too(only happens when wearing shoes). Now, I will say my notes for everything are far better than they usually are at night. Anyways, it's now 2:30 and there is a half hour left in the boil.... certainly not faster, but I did a fair amount of dicken around during the "protein rest" and sparge.

Edit: 79% efficiency after all that bs though... nice.

Last edited:
NEIPA virgin? Awesome stuff! whats the hops and yeast? Keep us posted!

Bunch of diff. 3 drops, 60/30/5 plus a dry hop at 10? Seemed like a mishmash but I had all in the freezer and I’ve been anxious to use. Azacca, El Dorado, Citra, Mosiac and Rakau if I remember correctly. I ended up doing both batches same day and missed a fairly large component of the NEIPA recipe. Numbers were off and my pH was lower than I expected. Wasn’t until 1030 yesterday evening when I realized that I had forgotten the 19oz of honey it called for…..

So I mixed with RO, brought to a boil and left it to cool overnight in mason jars. Threw it in there right before I pitched the yeast (WLP067). It may turn out to be a total $show, guess I’ll see in a couple weeks..

Not the weekend, but I'm retired so.....

Brewing 3 gallons of an international pale lager today to try out fermenting in a keg and closed transfer.

87.5% Weyermann Barke Pils
12.5% flaked rice

Magnum at 60 minutes (13.6 IBU)
Kasbek at 5 minutes (5.5 IBU)

Diamond lager yeast

The weekend brew plans didn’t pan out so I had to do a Monday brew session. I was excited to get my new system out on the deck but we had hail the other day in Idaho so this was probably my last indoor brew day for the non-winter brew season.
This was a golden rye ipa w Idaho7/Southern Cross WP that was split into two fermenters. One has DryHop yeast-Citra/Bru1/Riwaka/Motueka/Rakau, the other Flagship-Mosaic/Taiheke/Nelson. I was interested to see how the RIPA works with the tropical vs dank emphasis.

Attachments

• AE118B57-F503-44D5-975E-E3E31F762A79.jpeg
    AE118B57-F503-44D5-975E-E3E31F762A79.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
Planning on a new trick to brew two batches at once. I just got a second mash tun.

It was tough to come up with a brew day in grad school, so we did double two at onces.

We set one 15 gallon batch going through the equipment, while simultaneously doing a six gallon batch in the bruheat.

As soon as the sparge of the first big batch completed, the next grain went in with the hot water that was standing by.

And that 42 gallons generally had to last a year . . . it went straight into serving kegs with blowouts, which were removed after three days.

And when a blizzard hit on brew day . . . a 280kbtu cajun cooker *can* keep 15 gallons at a boil in a blizzard (probably -20F before wind chill). Shure, the upper several inches of the stand were glowing red, :eek: but . . .

I tried out a SweetWater 420 recipe I came up with a few months ago that turned out really well. Now that I've finished off that keg, I am going to brew the same thing again this weekend except change the hops to all Mosaic and see how different it is. The plan is to brew it again with a different single hop every time I run out just to see how different the beer can be based on hops alone. Maybe I should start filling a bottle or two of each one so I can try several side-by-side at some point.

i have strike water cooling for dough in right now, yes cooling....(over shot and the water was at 185f)

it's a home malt batch with 20lbs homemalt that kilned a bit hotter, hoping for a sorta biscuit/grainy taste, and 3ozs both roast barley and crystal 60, just for a little color...10 gallon batch...

water was at 167f a second ago, so as i type this, it's probably cooled enough to get the party started! :mug:

edit: yep, it was 161f so perfect for dough in, and when i mash in the mash was really thick! got a good feeling about this one! 🤞

Last edited:
new genre of music called brew gaze?

i think it'd be awesome to have a genre of anything, just for brew days! maybe diferent styles if you're brewing light or dark beer, or just something in between! :mug:

listening to crack addict hollywood stars isn't the best for homemade.....

Gonna do a small 1-1/2gal batch in the morning to blend with my Amber I'm not super crazy about. First go around trying the shaken-not-stirred starter too, so curious to see how that shakes out ....😁

Just about to start brewing an English Dark Mild (when the rain stops) here in Maryland.
Going for a 'heretical' thirty minute mash, five minute sparge, thirty minutes boil (low hopping of Mild is ideal) and....dry yeast packet of Nottingham Ale.

Brewing tomorrow but I can't decide what....

I was going to do a RIS so that it's ready for xmas, but stuck waiting on some maris otter in the mail, won't be here until Wednesday. Have lots of dark malts, so maybe a oatmeal stout?

APA is another option, as all the hops I have in stock lean that way. Have to take it closer to the session beer side though. Ran a little low on low abv stuff which can get out of hand quickly.

Pipeline:
Kölsch- wlp029 ~ 5%
Kölsch- Lutra (kegging Tuesday) ~5%

On tap:

Cottage house Saison 7%
Pliny DIPA clone 7.3%

Going to be trying my hand at brewing my first real lager this weekend with Adventures In Homebrewing's 'Backyard Pilsner' kit. Finally got my fermentation chamber put together, all that's left to do is hook up my brand spanking new Anvil temperature controller and get it dialed in for the fermentation temperature recommended for S-23 lager yeast. :rock:

Adventures In Homebrewing Haul (2).JPG

Back