Moving to Chagrin Falls Area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be moving to Chagrin Falls from Philly Area. Anyone from that area? Do you like it? Anything to watch out for when we're house hunting?

From What I can see, it looks like you have just about all of the beer that I like, minus maybe a handful of brewery's.

Are there any home brew clubs in the area? I see one LHBS in Cleveland, which would be about a 30 minute drive.

Thanks for any info.

LHBS

The Brew Mentor , The Cleveland Brew Shop,
Erie Supply House , The Grape and Granary,
J.W. Dover, Leeners,
Rozi's Wine House

Local club

http://www.beersnobs.org/

Cleveland Homebrew scene is exploding right now. Good time to get in.

If you're anywhere near Sandusky, there is Home Brew Ohio there and it's a great place with great friendly, helpful staff! It's about an hour away from chagrin falls but a good place to check out if ever in the area. Other than the weather most of the time, Ohio is a wonderful place.

Yeah just the other day we got a couple inches of snow and then I went to bed and woke up to 60 degrees and sunny haha. Crazy.

Haha, Chagrin Falls is in the snowbelt, so be prepared for lots of lake effect snow! Lovely town, though!

You should definitely check out Label Peelers in Kent. They are about 5 minutes from LD Carlson's warehouse so everything they stock is super fresh. I just started brewing and the guys at Label Peelers spent over an hour going over the do's and don't's with me - very helpful.

As far as homebrew clubs there's SAAZ if you don't mind driving a bit. I know they have meetings just to the south of you occasionally so you're not driving 30 min to Akron all the time.
Make sure you check out Great Lakes Brewery when you get to town. Great beers and they offer tours in addition to a solid brewpub.
Chagrin falls is nice, Solon, Twinsburg, and Hudson all have good schools, if that's a factor for you.

^ Thanks for the info! Schools are number 1 on our list. My wife will be commuting to Mayfield Heights. So Solon will be on the list too, I'll checkout Twinsburg and Hudson too if they are near by.

I'm up in Mentor, if you're looking for beer selection we have 3 excellent beer stores and a brewery now. All are within 10 minutes of each other along the same road (Rt 20/Mentor Ave)
Furthest west is Save-on, a dumpy looking strip mall store with a huge beer selection. They don't have any brewing supplies, but -Across the street is Brew Mentor, a home brew store (they tend to lack in the hop selection, with only a standard fridges' freezer packed full but most other supplies are widely available. (They post their entire store inventory on their website).
A stone's throw down the road is Little Mountain Brewery, a microbrew/restaurant I haven't tried yet.
A few miles East is World of Wines, which has some rudimentary home brew supplies, but another excellent beer selection and a great wine selection and resident wine connoisseur.
A few miles East of that you'll find Red Wine and Brew, a brand new store/restaurant with a huge selection that rivals the first two.
Your best bet outside of Mentor for selection is either out east in Erie, PA, West in Cleveland or south in Akron. Just wanted you to know that if you make the trek up to Mentor, there's quite a lot to see/do within a short distance drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

^ Thanks! Looks like we added Aurora to the list and it might be higher than Chagrin Falls. I hear Chagrin Falls is really nice, but the home for the money ratio sucks :) I leaving a similar area, where you get very little home for the money.

LHBS

The Brew Mentor, The Cleveland Brew Shop,
Erie Supply House, The Grape and Granary,
J.W. Dover, Leeners,
Rozi's Wine House

Local club

http://www.beersnobs.org/

Cleveland Homebrew scene is exploding right now. Good time to get in.

I am sad to say that erie supply house is in the process of "moving" right now... they posted something on their facebook about it... it seems really sad, because it looks like they're more closing down then moving... they were really cheap too, they had 1 gallon jugs for 4.50, and a lot of their stuff was greatly priced... other than homebrew ohio, which is pricey, but they have a huge selection, I know of nothing else in my sandusky area

I am sad to say that erie supply house is in the process of "moving" right now... they posted something on their facebook about it... it seems really sad, because it looks like they're more closing down then moving... they were really cheap too, they had 1 gallon jugs for 4.50, and a lot of their stuff was greatly priced... other than homebrew ohio, which is pricey, but they have a huge selection, I know of nothing else in my sandusky area

They did mention something about carrying some stuff next door at the huron market for now. You know if this is still happening?

Someone mentioned the Winking Lizard earlier, but next door (in Bedford Hts, close to the I-271 / OH 422 junction) is Lizardville, a beer store / whiskey bar that is a step above--more of a country club atmosphere.

I'm a pretty regular customer of the Grape & Granary--pretty good selection & helpful people there (esp. John, the owner). It's probably a good half-hour from the area where you are looking, though.

Not sure what to tell you about real estate--I live in Akron & things are more reasonable here. I do know someone that lives in Orange, but I think it's pretty expensive there. You could also look northward, around Wickliffe.

What bugs me about the Winking Lizard in Westlake on Detroit Rd is that they took over a good Italian restaurant that was upstairs. The owner was Italian & had a Sicilian friend that taught him some recipes. They had a jazz/blues bar downstairs on the first floor too. Real shame it's gone. There's Fathead's brewpub in North Olmsted as well.

They did mention something about carrying some stuff next door at the huron market for now. You know if this is still happening?

Yeah, I saw that, but I don't wanna drive out that far to see what's at the Huron store, it's just not the same...

Colorblind brewing

Flavor beats color every time

Yeah, I saw that, but I don't wanna drive out that far to see what's at the Huron store, it's just not the same...

Colorblind brewing

I live by sandusky, only live in cleveland on the weekends with my girlfriend while she finishes college haha. So next time I'm there I will check and see what they have. I was in the other day to fill my growler but it was late and I didn't happen to look. I'l let you know! I'm sure the selection isn't big but i will still take a look. I prefer HBO though.

I live by sandusky, only live in cleveland on the weekends with my girlfriend while she finishes college haha. So next time I'm there I will check and see what they have. I was in the other day to fill my growler but it was late and I didn't happen to look. I'l let you know! I'm sure the selection isn't big but i will still take a look. I prefer HBO though.

I was in there a few days ago, I couldn't find anything from the Erie store. I'm just happy I found another brewer from the Sandusky area :). :rockin:

Colorblind brewing

Me too! I unfortunately don't know too many around here :(

Have you lived around the area your whole life, or did you move here? I grew up in berlin heights, if you have any idea where that's at... there's some people out that way that make moonshine, you wouldn't believe how many stills I stumbled upon while I was out hunting those woods

Have you lived around the area your whole life, or did you move here? I grew up in berlin heights, if you have any idea where that's at... there's some people out that way that make moonshine, you wouldn't believe how many stills I stumbled upon while I was out hunting those woods

I have lived here my whole life! My girlfriend/her parents are actually from Berlin Heights haha. She's living in Cleveland right now as she finishes up college and her parents still live there on arlington. I lived in Milan for a year right after high school, had the apartment above the pizza box. Now I live back in Bellevue, and I stay with her in cleveland on my days off. and I work in monroeville. so i'm kind of all over the place.

I have lived here my whole life! My girlfriend/her parents are actually from Berlin Heights haha. She's living in Cleveland right now as she finishes up college and her parents still live there on arlington. I lived in Milan for a year right after high school, had the apartment above the pizza box. Now I live back in Bellevue, and I stay with her in cleveland on my days off. and I work in monroeville. so i'm kind of all over the place.

Did you see that Jim's got burnt up really bad? I think rebuilt it though, they did a huge community fundraiser, and stuff like that. You really are all over the place... I was born in Toledo, spent my first 8 years in Lorain, then we moved to berlin heights, and that's where I grew up, if you know the basket factory that's on the corner of mechanic, I lived in the guys house who built that. Then we, moved to Sandusky about a year ago, me and my fiancée live together, and I work in Sandusky too... What do you think about that home brew Ohio that's on 250

Colorblind brewing

One thing I learned about OH is the streets are just hammered... Good thing I don't drive a nice car :)

Haha, that is the truth. I am always amazed when I drive through states that don't have to deal with the constant freeze/thaw cycle like Ohio. Everything is so smooth!

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Well we chose a house in Aurora, I hope we picked the right neighborhood. it's a lot of homes in a small area, but it's on a lake so I hope that makes up for it. The taxes in Chagrin Falls were just too high. Looks like I'll have a far trip to the LHBS :(

Congrats on the new house, and good luck on the move.

Label Peelers in Kent might be the closest LHBS, unless there is something up there in northern Portage/southern Geauga.

Congrats on the new house, and good luck on the move.

Label Peelers in Kent might be the closest LHBS, unless there is something up there in northern Portage/southern Geauga.

Thanks! That's great they're only 15 miles from me! Thanks for the info.

Not a problem! Route 43 is a nice drive, too (sans Streetsboro!).

It was already said, but I will reiterate. The bottle shops in Mentor are ridiculous. There are multiple stores with 3000+ beers.

For breweries you have Thirsty Dog and Hoppin Frog in Akron, Great Lakes in Cleveland, and Fathead's in North Olmsted. At least those are the ones I have been to.

I was in there a few days ago, I couldn't find anything from the Erie store. I'm just happy I found another brewer from the Sandusky area :). :rockin:

Colorblind brewing

Wow. 2 dudes near me...

The big news in Sandusky: http://www.sanduskyregister.com/article/business/5461401

OP: Time to get your CP pass! Throw a growler and some blue ice in a cooler, drive to Sandusky, pickup ingredients at Homebrew Ohio, throw hops and yeast in the cooler, go to CP for the day, swing over and fill a growler at the Taphouse, and drive home happy.

Wow. 2 dudes near me...

The big news in Sandusky: http://www.sanduskyregister.com/article/business/5461401

OP: Time to get your CP pass! Throw a growler and some blue ice in a cooler, drive to Sandusky, pickup ingredients at Homebrew Ohio, throw hops and yeast in the cooler, go to CP for the day, swing over and fill a growler at the Taphouse, and drive home happy.

Small City is really spoiling us ohioans with 3 floyds, it is perfect :) I have been waiting for this to open and it was definitely worth the wait and definitely wait downtown needed, because I don't like going downtown too much..I would go to dalys occasionally but last time I was there a drunk guy assaulted the woman bartender and I haven't been back.. but glad to see another local! I got my CP pass last month, and they just opened a "Craft" beer and wine bar in the park as well, called the trail tavern over past the millenium force. I know they carry Great lakes, sierra nevada, kona, magic hat, sam adams, and a couple more. I mean hey, it's a step up for cedar point over the normal bmc.

Downtown can be "fun"... Didn't come downtown for Ohio Bike Week? :D

I don't get out much as I have a young family but there are some other cool joints to go. Born here so I know my way around. One hidden gem that I can recommend to semi locals is: http://www.cameopizza.com/ Average selection of beer but the taps are well attended (lines cleaned, carbonation dialed in, etc). Here, a pitcher of Labatts and large cheese is heaven to me.

Planned to go to CP this weekend but closed for water main break. We hit Soak City pretty hard during summer (platinum pass). Thanks for the heads up on the craft beer thing. Long overdue to try than German joint in Bellevue. Heard many good things.

Having gone to many LHBS in Cleveland area (love Grape and Granary) I have to admit our local does a heck of a job. I know owners and they really accommodate to my suggestions. Particularly happy my base malt 50lb Briess 2 row brewers is $55. Hop and yeast selection is killer too.

I would recommend the trip to Bellevue to hit up Bierkeller. They have some decent beers on tap and pretty good food. I also recommend the cameo in sandusky, we always have family birthday parties upstairs. And yes a thumbs up to home brew ohio, plus the $10 off after every 150 or whatever definitely is a good touch :)

but no to the bike week. haha My girlfriend and I went to Mon Ami saturday and we got stuck at a red light for quite some time during the bike parade and then went to check out Small City but other than that we don't normally do bike week :D

If you are ever down in the Akron area, stop by Hoppin' Frog off of SR 224. Wife and I got lunch there last week - good food, great beer.

Back