I Did Something Fat Today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppyhoppyhippo

Reaction score
But very delicious. Let me preface this by saying aside from this concoction I only ate like 300 calories all day, and after it all I had was one beer and one glass of champagne. Anyway I watch The Chew with my Girlfriend at night (not gonna front, I love Michael Symon, he's my favorite chef) and on Wednesday's episode Michael Symon made his take on Moon over My Hammy. He calls it Moon over Cleveland.

But anyway his version is 2 grilled cheese with a ham steak and scrambled egg in between them. Mine didn't turn out as pretty as his did. I should have had less cheese in it but basically this was how I did it.

First off I make the best grilled cheese of anyone I know. There's really only one thing I do different than anyone else. First the butter has to be super soft so you can spread it on every inch of the bread. Second is to dome the grilled cheese. For me I use one of the weber foil pans and it works awesome. It gets the crust crispy and the cheese melts like butter. For this one I used Velveeta singles and cabot double double (blend of mild and sharp cheddar) produces a good amount of flavor and a great texture.

Back to the topic though this day starts off with me putting some sliced ham (still have some from christmas) in a pan an caramelizing it. Put that to the side then made the grilled cheese as I too elaborately explained above, once the grilled cheese was about done I went to the eggs. Now unfortunately we don't have eggs in my apartment right now, we have egg beaters which aren't as good. So to jazz them up I had this garlic butter made up from a week ago (was fighting off a sinus infection) and put that in the pan with the eggs. Cook the eggs however you like but I learned a trick from the show which is to take the eggs and keep moving them from on high heat to off the heat it cooks the eggs without over cooking them, and then I finished them with a bit of butter (supposedly it stops the cooking process a bit, I just think it's for extra indulgence).

So I built this monstrosity and it was amazing. Now the one thing I'd change is I'd put less cheese on the grilled cheese and I'd press the bread so the sandwich is more mouth size. Basically I got 3 bites into it and it started falling apart so I ate what I could as the sandwich then came in with a fork to clean up.

This is what it looked like, which I could have gotten a better picture, but it was soooo good.

8390764673_1ac73bf7b0_z.jpg

Looks like it could be a delicious sandwich but damn if it doesn't look difficult to eat. The deliciousness needs to fit in ones mouth.

yes, that's why I'd press the sandwiches next time. Make them thinner and then it's more manageable. Course it didn't help (the size) that I used homemade bread. I guess I also could just slice the bread thinner.

I making this or some variation this weekend with some spent grain bread.

Thanks for the inspiration!

I making this or some variation this weekend with some spent grain bread.

Thanks for the inspiration!

You won't be disappointed. It's one of the better things I made especially considering I didn't have to buy anything specially for it. I always have bread, cheese and eggs, and I almost always have some pork product in my house.

Latest posts

Back