Prefabricated MLT Cooler Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyMcHopster

Reaction score
Hoping to get some recommendations on a prefabricated MLT anywhere from 10 gallons to 15 gallons and preferably round in shape.

Please send me any and all links :cross:

If money is not an issue then just buy a full 3 tier blichmann. Otherwise you can make a rubbermaid cooler or buy one for 3X-10X the cost on any of the online Home Brew Stores. I would be wary about buying a used cooler MLT because if it has been used long enough then the insulation could be failing and it won't hold temps how you want.

To stay on topic and answer your request, here is a link http://mountainhomebrew.com/allgraincoolermashingsystem-10gallon.aspx

I was actually thinking about going all Blichmann. Just purchased a 10G Blichmann BK but I was unsure of the size for the MLT since I haven't done all grain yet. I generally like to brew higher gravity beers 1.060 up to 1.100. I figured I would get a cheap cooler first to get a feel for it so I have a better idea of how much room I need. Any ideas on a good size?

Do you happen to have a Blichmann setup? What sizing do you have?

No I definitely don't have that kind of money but this is a great thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-big-your-mash-tun-needs-123585/

If you like higher gravity brews and are doing 5 gallon batches the 10 gallon MLT is fine for what you want. If you are doing larger batches I would go with a 15 or 20 gallon MLT and you would also need a larger brew pot.

I'm quite familiar with that post however I keep hearing conflicting advice (Check out the my post on the last page on the thread you posted) And yes.. I only plan on doing 5 gallon batches.

I would be wary about buying a used cooler MLT because if it has been used long enough then the insulation could be failing and it won't hold temps how you want.
Don't know if that could happen. I left my 10 gal. igloo up at Adventures in Homebrewing years ago, and it became sorta the store mash tun. Since then, literally hundreds of batches have gone through it! It's been loaned out, homebrew demo's, whatever. Partially melted on one side, cracked n repaired, still going strong n holding temps! Still though, it's nice to have a brand new one, and don't be afraid to buy one from your LHBS guys, they're the ones you need to keep in business for that emergency yeast pack or broken hydrometer replacement you'll need in the future!

I have both Stout and Blickmann. I will NEVER buy another Blickmann as Stout is better. It has Tri Clover fittings, is heavier metal and has welded filttings that never leak. My Blickmann 20 gallon leaks like crazy and because the metal is so thin, the metal around the outlet has bent. I have to take a mallet to it every so often so that we only lose about a cup or so of wort when brewing. I have a 45 gallon Stout brew kettle on order from Stout. One more thing I like about the stout kettle is that it has a whirlpool inlet. Me, I would go all Stout. The price is better and the equipment is better. The only downside is the lead time.

On another note, either a Blickmann or Stout will lose heat. We use a HERMS and have excellent control of our Mash Temps. Before we got our Stout Mash Tun, we use the 10 gallon Igloo cooler. They held the temperature very well. If you go Stainless, you will need to insulate well or use RIMS or HERMS.

Don't know if that could happen. I left my 10 gal. igloo up at Adventures in Homebrewing years ago, and it became sorta the store mash tun. Since then, literally hundreds of batches have gone through it! It's been loaned out, homebrew demo's, whatever. Partially melted on one side, cracked n repaired, still going strong n holding temps! Still though, it's nice to have a brand new one, and don't be afraid to buy one from your LHBS guys, they're the ones you need to keep in business for that emergency yeast pack or broken hydrometer replacement you'll need in the future!

I said COULD fail but it all depends on hot you normally strike/preheat/sparge with. The insulation claims to only hold up to 212* before shrinking and at our temps we get somewhat close to that number so over the years you may get some shrinkage that may cause you to loose an extra degree or few compared to a new one.

@HoppyMcHopster

The links didn't take me to MLTs.

Anywho, Doesn't the Blichmann 3 tier come with a burner for the MLT? It's been a while since I've looked at those shiny toys.

Anywho, Doesn't the Blichmann 3 tier come with a burner for the MLT? It's been a while since I've looked at those shiny toys.

The beauty of that beast is you can decide if you wan't a burner or a simple shelf for a cooler MLT. I'm thinking about getting the stand with a top burner for a HLT, middle shelf for a cooler MLT (for batch sparging) and bottom burner for a bottom BK. Thoughts?

Sounds like an awesome idea, but if you had a plastic MLT would the heat from the top burner have any chance of melting/warping it?

FYI, I use a 2 vessel system and transfer with buckets and have never seen a 3 tier in action.

Sounds like an awesome idea, but if you had a plastic MLT would the heat from the top burner have any chance of melting/warping it?

FYI, I use a 2 vessel system and transfer with buckets and have never seen a 3 tier in action.

Good question. I'll have to ask about that. I'm pretty sure though they are a good distance apart and you can have them facing different directions. You can see that the burners jut out a big so it's probably not directly over the MLT. (I'm hoping)

Checkout out the 4th image: http://www.blichmannengineering.com/brew_stand/brewstand_modular.html

I see... Might not be a problem but you might find someone else who has found out the hard way. Do you already have your pump(s)?

I had a brain fart...

The tiers are there so you don't need any pumps but you do need to get the water into the HLT on top. You can do it with a ladder and buckets.

I had a brain fart...

The tiers are there so you don't need any pumps but you do need to get the water into the HLT on top. You can do it with a ladder and buckets.

Ehh.. Shouldn't be too much of a hassle as its only going to be 10G. If it were 20G+ then it might get a bit annoying.

Ok so... back to the original question. Any recommendations on a MLT cooler? Rectangular? Circular? DIY or prefabricated?

Back