Kitchen Beer Tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klmonson

Reaction score
I'd like to add a beer tap in my kitchen, however, I don't want to loose cupboard space by doing an under the counter kegerator. Is there a way to put the kegerator in the basement (directly under the kitchen) force the beer up to the tap? Not that the trip out to the garage to refill is horrible, just thought it'd be a unique addition to the Kitchen.

Thanks,
Kyle

Sure, you will want to make sure the system is balanced which means the pressure is correct for the resistance of the line. Usually, long runs or going uphill increases resistance so you will likely want a larger diameter line to reduce resistance and still keep the psi of the CO2 in the good range. This website will help with that.

Troubleshooting Draft Beer Systems for Line Balance Troubles.

The other thing is making sure the line is cold. You will need to insulate it and either have a forced air or glycol line to keep it cold. Really depends on the length of the run as to this requirement... some people just pour out the warm stuff.

Yeah, cooling would be the issue. The entire line from the basement to the tap would need to be kept cool. That would mean some sort of refrigeration line and insulation.

Tom

I've seen it done without glycol, just make sure you have good insulation and circulation. +1 on balancing your lines; always a hard task in any setup :mug:

OK, thanks for the thoughts. Sounds like I'll just go to the garage for a refill.

It really wouldn't be that hard. The hardest part is getting the lines plumbed in the walls or wherever. If I was doing it personally, I would just buy some of this:

Beer Line Hose - Trunk Line

For the two glycol lines, I would join them at one end so it just recirculated back through. Then I would get a big tub of glycol that sat in the fridge and a pond pump or something to circulate it through. You can get familiar with the glycol here:

ProBrewer.com: Refrigeration

You might even be able to blow cold air through those two lines if your run is short enough...

If you need help with the balancing, post your info here. The trunk line I linked to has 3/8" tubing so it's pretty low resistance.

EDIT: Actually, if its a short enough distance it may be better to use air and do it this way:
http://www.micromatic.com/beer-questions/set-up-beer-regulator-aid-106.html

When i first started brewing i wanted to install "central beer" in my house. Although it is possible, i realized it would be cheaper to buy several mini fridges and just bottle my beer.

Now i want to buy a monkey and train him to get beer. anyone know where you buy monkeys?

If I have a "disability" can I get a helper monkey and call it Mojo? "Mojo, do your happy dance!" (Only this time he would be fat and drunk from drinking your great tap HB :))

Back on topic:

Put a keg in your kitchen fridge. I mean really, do you need all that crap that's in there now?

Back