Fermentation temp Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capa

Reaction score
I have a stout in it's second week in the primary (I decided to go without the secondary after reading a bunch about the +/- on HBT to see if I find much of a difference) and it has been around 73 degrees since I pitched the yeast. I was planning on kegging it in another two weeks but unfortunately will be out of town at the time. I'll be gone for nearly a month and I can't leave my AC on due to the super high energy costs in Japan but August is a scorcher out here and I assume my house is going to be in the high 70s to 80s for much of the time. The only option I have is to put the carboy in my fridge while I'm away but I'm curious what affects that will have on the beer. My noob assumption is that it will just slow the maturation down but really not affect it much besides that. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks.

If it's not finished I would rack to secondary and place in the fridge at the highest temp. My guess is that it's just about done as is...

If it's not finished, then racking to secondary would be a bad idea.

OP: you should take some gravity readings and see if it's really done before racking.

Back