The other use for a turkey fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
Can a turkey fryer that has a weldless fitting installed ever be used to fry a turkey? I think that at some point, I'd like to make myself a fried turkey, especially since I have a turkey fryer. Can the high-temp o-rings handle the heat?

I'd love to get mine welded, but the people who responded to my CraigsList ad wanted $50 to $100. I'll pay $20.

Any Illinois Brewers have welding gear and want to help a guy out? I've got a couple gallons of Mapfelwein to throw in as a kicker.

Dunno, but I just bought one of these.....http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=45512&hvarDept=350&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=5&hvarSubCode=3&hvarTarget=browse

The valve is not welded on, so I'm sure the gasket is for high heat.

loop

edit....it does, however have a "cap" that you screw on and after I've fried a turkey, or even brewed, there has been a little of oil or water when I take the cap off. So, there's more of a concern for the actual valve leaking then where it's attached to the kettle.

Cheesefood said:
Can a turkey fryer that has a weldless fitting installed ever be used to fry a turkey? I think that at some point, I'd like to make myself a fried turkey, especially since I have a turkey fryer. Can the high-temp o-rings handle the heat?

NO! The oil left in the pot will kill your head on your beer.

Spend the $20 on a cheap aluminum pot. It's tough enough getting the rootbeer out of a keg, I'd hate to try getting crawfish oil out of the o-rings on my kettle.

OMFG!?!?! why would you even consider using your brew kettle for frying a turkey in?!?! Beer is way more important than fried turkey! Knock it off guys, you shouldnt even be discussing this. and shame on you few that are actually moving this conversation along.

If you really really want to fry a turkey go to home depot and buy another alum pot! stop this nonsense!

7Moonz said:
OMFG!?!?! why would you even consider using your brew kettle for frying a turkey in?!?! Beer is way more important than fried turkey! Knock it off guys, you shouldnt even be discussing this. and shame on you few that are actually moving this conversation along.

If you really really want to fry a turkey go to home depot and buy another alum pot! stop this nonsense!

I made chili AND brined a turkey (not at the same time) in my other brew kettle.

Cheesefood said:
I made chili AND brined a turkey (not at the same time) in my other brew kettle.

And did you have chili or turkey beer in the subsequent batches? :drunk:

Cheesefood said:

:off:
My primary bucket is my turkey brining bucket. Works great! An ale pale is the perfect size for a 12-14 pound turkey.

Anybody want to do a beer swap to see if they can pick up raw turkey taste? :D

Here was my solution to the problem;

The WallyWorld, just down the street from me, had turkey fryers on sale, with the 30 AND 10 quart aluminum pots, for $25.00. They also had a 30 quart SS pot, with the basket pot, turkey holder stuff, and a thermometer for $20.00.

So, my BrewPot ended up costing me, $45, for the pot and fire. I also got a frying rig, that will do just about anything I want.

steve

Back