Man VS Trellis (My First Trellis Built)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorchingice

Reaction score
I decided to start growing hops this year and decided to make my own trellis. I considered using 4" x 4" x 16' posts and putting them in the ground with 4 lines on each post, but then I realized how hard it would be to transport 16' lumber 1 1/2 hours to my place. (That's the distance to the nearest Lumberyard) So instead I decided I would use PVC.

Here is a list of materials I used :

(1) Storage Building Anchor Kit @ $22.87

(27) 2" x 10' Schedule 40 PVC Pipe @ $4.22 each
(2) 2" 4 Way Slip Cross @ $3.63 each
(6) 2" Caps @ $1.20 each
(4) 2" PVC Tee @ $2.49 each
(4) 3 Way Connector @ $4.95 each
(6) 4 Way Connector @ $5.95 each
(1) 8oz Bottle of PVC Cleaner/Primer @ $3.49
(1) 8oz Bottle of PVC Cement @ $3.49

(1) 100' Roll of 1/2" Flex Water Irrigation Tubing @ $14.08
(4) 1/2" Irrigation Tubing Elbows @ $0.58 each
(15) 1/2" Irrigation Tubing Tees @ $0.58 each
(16) 1/2" Irrigation Tubing Male Adapter Insert @ $0.31 each
(16) Shrub Head Quarter Spray Nozzles @ $0.79 each

(4) Bags of Top Soil @ $1.15 each
(2) Bags of Compost/Manure @ $1.30 each
(1) Bag of Insect Control @ $8.99
(1) Bag of Schultz Moisture Control Soil @ $5.88

(8) packages of Tent Stakes *4 in a package* *32 total* @ $2.88 per package

partsj.jpg

pvcparts.jpg

irrigationtubing.jpg

soil.png

Now on to the construction.

I started out by assembling the main pipe Cross sections. Using the PVC Cleaner and then the cement to ensure a tight fit. The pipes were placed on a level surface to assure they were level/square.

assembling1.jpg

Once those were assembled, I proceeded to add in some of the pipes to assemble the main top half of the Trellis as shown in the following pictures.

assembling2.jpg

The Very Top section assembled

assembling3.jpg

The Middle area Assembled

assembling4.jpg

Combining the sections

assembling5.jpg

The 2 sections assembled

assembling6.jpg

MY REAL FIRST PANIC !! HOLY......
WTF am I going to do now...
assembling7.jpg

After much debate I realized I had only one option. Shorten the legs (20 foot tall was NOT going to work)

Here it is starting to come together.

assembling8j.jpg

Hung the Lines for the Hops to grow on

assembling9.jpg

Installing the Irrigation System

assembling10.jpg

Irrigation System Installed

assembling11.jpg

Final Result (Working Trellis + Irrigation System)

assembling12.jpg

I got my Hops planted. 16 in total. Wish me luck. 14' was all I could get out of the trellis (roughly 15' with the twine angled out)

Thank you so much for posting this, I too am growing hops for the first time this year. I showed my wife how much you spent and how immense your Hops trellis is and I'm not in trouble anymore :) thanks:mug:

Seriously though, that is awesome, cant wait to see the updated pics in about 2 months and its covered in green beautiful hops.

How big of area is that?

The Trellis is 10' Wide x 20' Long With top beams every 5' across the 10' width.

The property is actually 3 lots for a total of about 1 acre. It is on a hill so it was very hard to get it level. That is why it looks like the far poles are longer out of the ground than the other end. They actually are, but that was to level the Trellis.

Nice system. I already have a trellis put up, but planning on adding a second post. I really like the irrigation system. I might try something like that myself. Hops use lots of water, but wetting the leaves can lead to fungus if there isn't enough ventilation.

One option, if you're worried about height (or lack thereof), is to make the lines adjustable. Let out some slack once the bines reach the top...

Yes, the lines are actualy just tossed over the top rail and tied down on the other side with another stake. I have 2 stakes per hop vine, the one it grows up and the other side to let down the vine to harvest / get more growth height.

BTW thx for the replies all. just planted the Rhizomes so it will be a bit. BTW how much to water them at the start / initial planting?

Nice job! One question, what is that bag of stuff labeled 'Insect Control'?

http://www.ecgrowproducts.com/index.cfm?event=ViewPage&contentpieceId=6130

That describes it pretty well. We have a lot of ants and fleas, etc. around here so I figured I would treat the soil before planting, and then maybe some during the season if the insects get real bad. I am also going to be getting some Grub Worm control as we get them also.

I did not use much, so I doubt it will cause any issues with the plants.

http://www.ecgrowproducts.com/index.cfm?event=ViewPage&contentpieceId=6130

That describes it pretty well. We have a lot of ants and fleas, etc. around here so I figured I would treat the soil before planting, and then maybe some during the season if the insects get real bad. I am also going to be getting some Grub Worm control as we get them also.

I did not use much, so I doubt it will cause any issues with the plants.

Ahh I see - Those fleas are NASTY buggers. They destroyed a bean crop of mine almost fully. A side thought - I am surprised they market the product as 'ant killer' considering ants are actually good for a garden. Kill the ants.... and there goes a line of defence against many pests.

Ahh I see - Those fleas are NASTY buggers. They destroyed a bean crop of mine almost fully. A side thought - I am surprised they market the product as 'ant killer' considering ants are actually good for a garden. Kill the ants.... and there goes a line of defence against many pests.

The only issue with ants is they have a symbiotic relationship with Aphids, which can be a real issue.

Just wanted to make a post showing updates to my Hops Garden and to show how it is progressing.

Here are some pictures after a lot of time has passed. I added mulch and landscape fabric to get rid of the nasty weeds and grass sucking out the plants nutrients.

So on with the pictures.

Pictures of the Garden taken July 3rd 2010.

img0088b.jpg

img0077py.jpg

img0074xt.jpg

2 of my Hops plants have what appear to be Bite marks all over some of the leaves. Not all of them, just a few. This doesn't show it well but is the best picture I could take with my cheap camera.

img0082pb.jpg

And Last but not least. 15 of the 16 plants have started growing. 2 of them I had to dig up and replant to get them going.

But the one NEVER did come up.

img0081yt.jpg

I contacted the place I ordered from *Freshops* and this was the correspondence between us.

On May 9, 2010, at 9:40 AM, *EDITED FOR PRIVACY* wrote:

message: I placed an order for 16 Hop Rhizomes. Freshops Web Store: Order #(EDITED OUT) ‏The order consisted of the following:2 (RHIZCASC) Cascade rhizome $4.50 $9.00* Weight: 0.07 lbs each 2 (RHIZCE) Centennial rhizome $5.00 $10.00* Weight: 0.07 lbs each 2 (RHIZFU) Fuggle rhizome $4.50 $9.00* Weight: 0.07 lbs each 2 (RHIZMA) Magnum rhizome $5.00 $10.00* Weight: 0.07 lbs each 2 (RHIZNO) Northern Brewer rhizome $5.00 $10.00* Weight: 0.07 lbs each 2 (RHIZCH) Chinook rhizome $4.50 $9.00* Weight: 0.07 lbs each 2 (RHIZKG) Kent Golding rhizome $4.50 $9.00* Weight: 0.09 lbs each 2 (RHIZWI) Willamette rhizome $4.50 $9.00* Weight: 0.07 lbs eachI planted all 16 at the same time. Out of the 16 only 13 started growing plants. They have been in the ground long enough that they all should be up by now. In fact, the ones that did not grow are all singles in that the other Rhizome of that type started growing fine.The ones that did not start growing are:(1) (RHIZNO) Northern Brewer rhizome(1) (RHIZKG) Kent Golding rhizome(1) (RHIZWI) Willamette rhizome Is there anyway this can be rectified? Thank you,Brian.

On May 12, 2010, I received this response

Brian,

Dig them up and look for white sprouts. Make sure they are not planted too deep, too wet, or upside-down.

Hoppily,
Dave Wills
Purveyor of fine hops

*NOTE THE REPLY I GOT* "FROM A HOPS MASS PRODUCTION COMPANY" So all the people that laughed about THIS Post can take another look at why I asked it.

On May 15th, 2010 I responded with this Email

I dug up all 3 plants. The Kent Golding and the Northern Brewer looked exactly as when I got them in the mail. There was no growth at all.
The Willamette had some of the white sprouts. in fact they were long and growing into the ground. I replanted them but am unsure which way the white sprouts should be growing. Are they supposed to be growing into the ground or are those the ones that grow up out of the ground?

All 13 other plants are already out of the ground and at least 10 inches tall so I have to assume that all 3 of these are having problems.

I do not want to wait a full year to find out none of these 3 are going to grow and have to restart these 3 with the others 1 year old already established.

I purchased 16 plants, if 13 are growing and 3 are not. It goes to show I planted the others correctly, they are all getting the same water and sunlight so they should all be growing the same.

Again, please rectify this situation.

Thank you.

Brian

On May 20th 2010 I received this response

Brian,

White shoots need to be pointing up!
What is your address for the Golding and N. Brewer?

Dave Wills
Freshops

(I sent an Email on May 20th with my shipping address and information and have yet to ever receive any new Rhizomes)

As much as I enjoyed my first year starting hops. I think I will purchase my stuff from somewhere else in the future. They never did come through with a replacement. and if 15/16 grew. I doubt I was the cause of the 16th one not growing.

Your garden looks fantastic! Great job! I really mean that.

Now, I hope you don't mind me chiming in on your freshops experience - I find it kind of comical how surprised you are acting that one of the hops did not emerge. No offense intended here, but you are not buying a bloody DVD, or a package of printer paper or something that you EXPECT to work exactly the same everytime. You cannot take a Rhizome back to the store and demand a refund, because it is a living plant - life happens, and death (even in plants) is a part of life. You might save yourself a huge bunch of stress if you just realize that you bought a plant and not a warrantied, factory guaranteed, gold stamped product made by time honed craftsman.

Geepers man - 1 in 16 is an awesome viability. Why are you even writing Freshops? Even if they say they have some kind of Guarantee, I would certainly be pretty happy with 93% viability.

I think I will go back to the nursery, the strawberry plant I bought only gave me 2 berries and I demand it to give me 3.

Sorry, but it is a bit funny!

When I purchase items, I expect them to work as intented. If I had only purchased 1 or 2, sure it could be a fault I made. When I purchase a large order, and 15 out of 16 work, it tells me there was 0 chance that plant would have grown no matter how much time and effort I put into it.

You can look at it as, Oh its a plant, you win some you lose some. I look at it as a company that should strive to make customers happy dropped the ball.

As far as it causing me a "bunch of stress" it didn't. I am happy with my garden. But I will use a different company for replacement rhizomes. I do not like false promises. They asked for my address yet never sent a replacement rhizome. Had they just said, we don't guarantee the rhizomes, I could have at least purchased new ones so I would not have to have a First year plant among 15 other second year plants come next season.

Well, I exaggerated on the stress part then, obviously :) If they said they would give replacement, and never followed through - thats just bad business. And yes, you could have easily bought one earlier on so you did not have to wait, had they at least been honest with their policy. Glad you are happy with your garden, its pretty kicka$$, I can attest.

I digress, for conversation sake, A rhizome is a plant, no matter where you get it there is no way to avoid one, two, heck 20% kicking the bucket. Heck, it could have been a grub that damaged the rhizome to the point it did not have enough energy to sprout, you just cannot see the damage because it is interior. I am very surprised you got that many to sprout in all honesty. You are obviously have a green thumb :) Mine also did well the first year, but the Chinook sure took their time.

+1 on "it's a plant, not a washing machine."

Not trying to pick a fight, just what I think. Of my 14 1st years, 12 are 20+' tall and two are less than 2' tall. I'm not going back to the local store and detailing that I clearly know what I'm doing, and I have a great trellis, and I have excellent soil, therefore your rhizomes suck. It's still a plant and some just don't take off. Shrugs.

Thanks for the pics, I was wondering if a trellis such as this would hold up...

There are so many variables concerning your hops not the least of which is an expectation that all rhizomes will grow.
The email could have gotten mistakenly erased, or being the WWW never arrived. The new hops could have been shipped and beng the USPS or UPS or Fed Ex or whoever, never arrived. Did you contact them again or are you going to punish them for their 7% failure rate? I see that the email sort of implied they would send out new rhizomes, but I was unable to locate any type of guarantee on their website.
Email is a piss poor way to get a resolution to a matter. Better to phone them and talk to a body.

Thanks for the pics, I was wondering if a trellis such as this would hold up.

It has not had a problem yet. It is secured by 4 steel cables and heavy duty tie down posts on each corner. It has already seen storm after storm after storm with the crazy weather we have been having as of late. It is pretty aerodynamic as the wind just goes right through. I also have each Coir Yarn line Secured with heavy duty Tent stakes, one on each end so I can let them down to harvest them.

I am pretty sure that it will hold up just fine if it made it this far.

And yes Email is a bad method of communication. I haven't called them. I may, but it is so late in the season now, Ill probably just have to wait until next year. I am more mad that I waited and it never came, than the fact they did not replace it. If people think it's crazy to ask for a replacement, sorry but if I can get something replaced for free, why not spend the time trying.

Looking forward to seeing how this years turn out at the end.

When can I expect the plants to starts growing outwards as well as upwards? right now they just keep going up, and up, and up... will they fatten up the first year, or is that to be expected in the following years ?

Has your trellis had to face any winds as of yet? I am curious how it would stand up to the wind.

I tried my hand at planting some hops this year as well. I planted 3 Hallertau in front of my deck using a 4 ft stake and hoping they will creep along the railing. ( I ordered 2, received 3 and only 2 survived) and I planted 4 northern brewer that a buddy mailed me, (we think they are NB) for those, I ran galvanized cables from my flower bed to my roof, about 14-16 ft. They were planted late but seem to be doing well.
I went with simplicity as I don't plan to use pounds of hops every year and from what my buddy says, as long as they have sun, they will grow like weeds.

im going to have to agree with others in that it is a plant and theres no guarantee.

i had purchased 3 rhizomes from my LHBS this year (March).

when i got them they were small and skinnt with maybe one white sprout each.

even with my lack of hop growing experience i knew this didnt look promising.

2 of the 3 died, and the one thats still going has stalled out with two 1 inch shoots.

about a week ago i opted for a different vendor to replace my two lost hops. (Freshops)

these rhizomes are about double the size and have at least 3 sprouts each.

not too shabby for the end of the year pick'ins if you ask me.

i guess what im trying to say is that it couldve been WAAAAY worse. haha.

on another note, very impressive hops trellis and setup. well done. i look forward to more updates.

Cheers,

-Zach

Has your trellis had to face any winds as of yet? I am curious how it would stand up to the wind..

Yes, it has already been through consistent 75+ MPH winds.

When the tornado came through Lafayette Indiana (about 40 Miles away) the winds were terrible. at least 3 hours of steady high winds with no problems at all except the plants themselves got beat up a little.

My only worry is when the plants finally get some bulk to them instead of being so skinny, how the winds will effect them at that point. But it seems no matter how the trellis is built, all Hop plants have to face this, since they all have to grow up the Hop lines.

The only criticism I'm going to voice here is that PVC will get really brittle being in the sun. I think you'll get 2 seasons out of it if you store it out of the sun between growing seasons. Galvanized fence poles would be a bit more up front but would last 10 years.

The only criticism I'm going to voice here is that PVC will get really brittle being in the sun. I think you'll get 2 seasons out of it if you store it out of the sun between growing seasons. Galvanized fence poles would be a bit more up front but would last 10 years.

Thanks for the Info. According to "The Google" I can paint the Schedule 40 PVP with a light-colored water based acrylic or latex paint that is chemically compatible with PVC and that will reduce any degrading effects caused by the sunlight.

Information obtained at (LINK) & (LINK)

Thank you very much for the heads up.

I may fork the cash over soon so I can put pictures up of the shabbiest PVC trellis in IL. My brother calls my set up, "The Ghetto Trellis". I'll be lucky if I get 2 years. LOL

Back