soldering question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mw20

Reaction score
I found an old thread that talked about using solder that was like 95% silver for use on a keggle. I want to solder a copper dip tube and immersion chiller. The solder I have is Oatley safe flo silver lead free. Hazardous ingredients listed are bismuth, copper, silver, tin. Is this safe to use in my keggle or do I need to get the more expensive silver solder?

I am no expert at it but the way I understand it is you need a acid flux that eat the oxides on the stainless so you get the proper bond to the stainless.

A good article on it. Scroll down to Soldering.
BT - Brazing and Welding 304L Stainless Steel

You need to avoid any solders with cadmium in it.

Be careful when soldering stainless as the fumes are very nasty for your lungs due to the acids in them.

I'm not actually going to be doing anything to the stainless, just need to solder the copper that will be immersed in the keggle. So basically, is the solder I have going to be food safe in a boiling pot of wort?

Product Info said:
Oatey 53062 Safe Flo Silver .117 ga. - carded 1/4 lb. Since 1916, Oatey has been manufacturing quality products for the plumbing industry. Oatey's market-leading products include solvent cements for joining plastic pipe and fittings, vent stack roof flashings, solder and flux for joining copper pipe, washing machine outlet boxes, Sure-Vent® air admittance valves, residential and light commercial drains and other related plumbing specialty products. Oatey 53062 Safe Flo Silver .117 ga. - carded 1/4 lb. Features: • Patented lead free alloy specifically formulated for lines carrying drinking water. • Lead free; meets the requirements of the Safe Drinking Water Act. • Wide melting range: 415°F - 455°F. • Use of flux required. • Can not be used on aluminum.
Looks perfect to me.

:off:

BargainFittings......You need to post more often. I keep forgetting about you in my bookmarks when I'm looking to buy stuff.

I'm not actually going to be doing anything to the stainless, just need to solder the copper that will be immersed in the keggle. So basically, is the solder I have going to be food safe in a boiling pot of wort?

The solder is perfectly safe to use in your keggle.

just remember like it was already said .... clean(sandpaper) your joints and flux well.... then just heat it up and let the solder flow.....

I soldered everything yesterday. After the first joint I kinda got the hang of it. It isn't beautiful but everything works great.

Latest posts

Back