substitute for dried sweet orange peel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewbrew82

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew a Blue Moon clone, the recipe calls for .18oz of bitter and sweet orange peel. The brew shop guy only had the bitter peel. My question is what part of a fresh orange is the sweet peel, and how much to add??

I think (not 100% sure) that sweet peel comes from a different variety of orange. Maybe Valencia? I just got a AHS blue moon clone kit and it has both bitter and sweet peel with the coriander, but it doesn't say what kind of orange the peel came from. Try a search here and you may find something. Not much help, but I am still a Noob.

Good Luck

The outer-most part of the peel with what you want (only the orange part). The white part (the pith) is very bitter and should be avoided. A zesting tool should help with the task.

Citrus zest. I prefer a nice blend of grapefruit and orange with a hint of lemon, but it's up to you. About .5oz will probably be what you want since it isn't dried out. I actually had .5 of dried bitter and 1.0 of fresh in my last batch, and it is great.

You add it to the boil with about 10-15 minutes left like you do with most spices. This allows the boiling wort to extract the oils that give the flavors and aromas. Definitely don't microwave anything.

I was under the impression that fermented citrus oils don't turn out well. Am i wrong? I was thinking of using komquats or tangerine peel but i was afraid fermenting citrus was bad.
You never really hear of a great orange wine/beer or something like that.

Fermented citrus tastes like vomit, but there isn't anything in the skin of the fruit that is going to ferment, the yeast don't do anything with the oils except maybe scrub out some of the more volatile ones.

You should read Mosher's Radical Brewing. He has a couple of pages re: getting orange flavor into beer. He strongly advises against the dried orange peel from your LHBS.

I use a microplane grater and don't get into the white at all.

You can also throw the peel into a jar with vodka to extract the oils, then filter the solids out and add at bottling.

I tried a zester last night. that was going to take too long. I ended up using good old cheese shredder. It worked like a champ.

This may not be much help, but several people have mentioned using one jar of some sort of orange preserves that can be found a Wal-Mart. I tried searching, but couldn't find it.

Is the fresh zest is added at flame-out?

Ahoy hoy,
If you have access to a home brew store that features brewcraft homebrew products, there is indeed a sweet orange peel available. I know this, as I have a pound of it, as well as a pound of sour, sitting on my lap as I type this. The bitter orange peel is aurantium amarae pericarpium
The sweet is aurantium dulcis pericarpium
I use them quite alot so I buy them in 1 pound bulk, instead of the 1 oz packages. It is available from brewcraft, so if you can find a lhbs that deals with them, you should be able to special order it in if they dont have it on the shelf The reorder code on the back of the bag of sweet is 1768-2
Hope that helps. Questions? PM me...
A great day to you all

I brewed on Friday and when I went to the brew shop on Saturday, He had just checked in the sweet orange peel. One day late.

Latest posts

Back