Pitching on the cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckMoney

Reaction score
I have a east coast pale ale finishing up sometime soon, and will be making an IPA shortly after. Would a starting gravity of 1.068 be a good candidate for pitching onto the cake? Or do I need to be bigger than that? Also, if its not big enough, how much should I scoop out before pitching the beer?

You will be fine pitching on the cake. With more yeast cake though I believe you will get less ester production but it will ferment really fast and furious.

Don't worry about your SG. Just design the beer how you want to and run with it. Don't mess with the cake, you brewed a smaller beer so you would have that much yeast in the first place.

As long as the OG on your Pale Ale wasn't over 1.050 to 1.055 and your IBU's weren't over 50-ish you'll be fine pitching on it. You may want to check out the pitching calculator on mrmalty.com for the proper amount of slurry to pitch.

Got worried about not being able to handle a blowoff in the current room i'm fermenting in, and scooped about 2/3 of the slurry out and pitched it. Fermentation took off and went from the SG (which ended up being around 1.075) down to 1.016 in 3days. Letting it rest till friday to see if it falls any lower, however I wouldn't mind if it stops here. Gonna rack it on to an ounce of centennial and an ounce of cascade on friday and let it sit for about 2 weeks.

Back