Beer too clear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reno Homebrewer

Reaction score
I bottled a batch of ESB Last Wednesday, so it has been in the bottles for basically one week. When I racked it to the bottling bucket, I was amazed at how clear the Beer was. I pulled a bottle out of the box this evening to look for any sign of sediment in the bottom, and I see nothing. You'd think it was a store-bought Beer that was not bottle-conditioned. My question is, do you think this Beer will carb at all, and if so, how much longer should I wait to try one after the normal 3 week waiting period is up?

Did you filter at all? If you shake it do you see any sediment If you opened one at 2 weeks, you would be able to tell if it is carbing. You may also be able to tell if you move it around some in the bottle.

I turned a bottle upside-down, and not a thing fell through the Beer. Looking at the bottom of the bottle, I see nothing but clear. I didn't do anything different with this batch than I've done with any of my other ones.

How long since Brew Day?
I've heard of beer carbing just fine after 2 months in secondary, but my apfelwein that I did on a 3068 yeast cake set for 4 weeks and it is not carbing at all. I'm thinking of poping the caps and adding a fleck of yeast to each bottle.

At only a week in the bottles the yeast is still going to be in suspension eating the priming sugar. If you had them in secondary for 3-4 months you may have trouble carbonating. If that's not the case here, leave them alone for a couple more weeks and they will be fine. ;)

Just a quick update. I took one to work with me (Insane, I know, but there are two other Homebrewers there. One is still active, and the other one was for years, but stopped about 5 years ago) They were amazed at how clear it was, and they gave it a 50/50 chance of carbing. Last Monday, I turned it over to look for signs of sediment, and low and behold, there it was! A very tiny bit of Yeast sitting on the bottom. When I turned it back upright, I got some carbonation bubbles on the top. Now here comes the REALLY insane part. I shook it a few times, and it tried to blow the top off! That evening, I went home and stuck one in the fridge. I opened it tonight, and by golly, it was perfect. Thanks again for saving me from myself all.

Back