American Pale Ale Lake Walk Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got my first pint from the keg and am pretty happy. The beer is sill green and not fully carbed so I'm looking forward to the next week when it should be best. Only change I would make is longer dry hop, I got impatient and kegged it after 4 day dry hop so I may dry hop it in the keg again soon. Still has a little clearing to do too. Did not use gelatin but I my do that now if it isn't too late.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1465689506.202464.jpg

Just got my first pint from the keg and am pretty happy. The beer is sill green and not fully carbed so I'm looking forward to the next week when it should be best. Only change I would make is longer dry hop, I got impatient and kegged it after 4 day dry hop so I may dry hop it in the keg again soon. Still has a little clearing to do too. Did not use gelatin but I my do that now if it isn't too late.

View attachment 358245

I've bought into this method:

http://beersmith.com/blog/2013/11/25/dry-hopping-for-beer-revisited-part-1-of-2/

Typically I do 3 days.

I wanted to give this recipe some final tasting notes as it is probably at it's peak right now. This is the first time I made this recipe and it is one of the best Pale Ale's I've done but I have some comments. I am just hoping this helps people trying to decide if they want to brew this, but I'll start of by saying.....BREW THIS!!!

I followed the recipe exact except I used Centennial for the bittering addition to save precious Amarillo and I used 1.25 oz of Simcoe in the dry hop instead of 1.0 oz.

Aroma: The aroma is where this beer really shines in my opinion. At first smell I would expect this beer to be a huge hop packed IPA. I get primarily orange juice and grapefruit up front with some notes of passionfruit, berry and pineapple possibly on the end.

Taste: The first thing I think of when taking a drink is orange juice again with some grapefruit in the background. There may be hints of pine in the finish/aftertaste but very subtle if so. The malt presence is subtle but present thanks to the toasted malt. It could just be my taste buds but I don't pick up any caramel at all with the use of Caramel 60 in this, but there is a slight sweetness at first taste as there should be in a Pale. Not bitter at all in my opinion, I would consider increasing my bittering addition slightly to aim at 55 IBU's. This was my main concern when deciding to brew this but it isn't nearly as bitter as I thought it should be at 50 IBU's calculated.

Mouthfeel: This is where I have my only complaint. Up front the mouthfeel is perfect, probably from the flaked wheat....but then on the lingering end/aftertaste after you swallow it seems very thin and watery. I don't have enough experience to explain it any other way but I would love to brew this again and change only that.

Only other comment I have is that Pale Ale's are one of my favorite "go to" styles at a brewery. If I were to open a brewery I would want to have something very close to this one.

You can see how this beer clears up really nice at the bottom of my glass even using US-05. I didn't use gelatin in the keg either.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466217036.978617.jpg

I've read how a lot of you guys cut this down to a 60 minute boil instead of the 90 minute boil listed in Dude's recipe. Doing either a 90 minute or 60 minute boil makes no difference to me. Is there any advantage of doing the 90 minute boil?

Thanks!

I've read how a lot of you guys cut this down to a 60 minute boil instead of the 90 minute boil listed in Dude's recipe. Doing either a 90 minute or 60 minute boil makes no difference to me. Is there any advantage of doing the 90 minute boil?

Thanks!

No. It also increases boil off so you need a larger pre boil volume. There's advantages to the 60 minute boil but not the 90.

The 90 min boil should create a little more mallard reaction with the sugars from the malt, so it might make a difference. I've used the recipe twice, but changed the hops, and only did 60 min boil both time.

The reason for the 90 minute boil is to make sure any DMS is boiled off.

YMMV in this case. If you use Pilsner malt as a base malt, that will have more DMS pre-cursors and more than likely requires a longer boil.

I don't do 90 minute boils anymore because I don't detect DMS in my beers. This was a hotly debated topic several years ago, and it will vary from brewer to brewer on an assortment of variables like ingredients, equipment, and so forth.

I love how this beer has aged. As some of the flavors mature and the dry hop fades a bit it has this awesome toasty and light caramel flavor to it.

This has probably been my best received beer yet. Made it for my wedding open house party and killed a keg in a day, my fastest yet. Got a lot of compliments on it. This is just my style for a pale ale: Sweeter citrus hop profile. Easy drinking. I think it was better fresh off the dry hop, less bitter and more sweet tangerine notes. Still good a week or so later, but better when super fresh to me. May have been the difference between my kegerator and my jockey box though

This has been on my 'to brew list' for years now so I am finally giving it a shot today.

Subbed the toasted malt for 1 lb of victory and upped the 2 row to 9 lbs to compensate. Only other change is dropping the 20 min hop addition and adding a whirlpool addition.

Mashing now and I will post back with the results.

Cheers!

Hats off, Dude, great recipe. After 1 week in the keg I was a little disappointed, but after 2.5 weeks it came into its own. At first it was a little one dimensional and i thought maybe I had botched the roasting. However, it is now realllllllly tasty. Think it will become a staple at my place.

I'm learning that I really need to stay off the taps until a keg has sit in the keezer for at least 2 weeks. But, this may be because I tend to rush the fermentation and don't just let it sit in the fermenter for weeks at a time for yeast to "clean up"

And...I've got the second batch bubbling away. Just for fun, this time I hit it with 34/70.

I've made it about half way through this thread so sorry if it has been answered but does anyone have a good water profile to follow for this beer? I use Bru'n water. Planning on brewing this in the next few days. Also, has anyone had a problem with 60 min boil vs the 90 min boil listed in the recipe?

Not sure about water, I use carbon filter and campden tap, but all I do is a 60 min. boil.

Yellow Balanced would be a good profile. If you want to enhance the hops more you could go Yellow Bitter. PH in the 5.2-5.4 range.

Is the toasted 2 row considered a base grain or crystal malt in Bru'n Water? Any insight?

Is the toasted 2 row considered a base grain or crystal malt in Bru'n Water? Any insight?

Hopefully you have figured this out by now, but the toasted grain is a base malt in Bru'n water, just has the Lovibond cranked up a touch.

Brewed this up again yesterday. Did a 90 min boil and changed the 5 min. hops to a flame out addition at 180 degrees. I think I did goof on the grain purchase. I couldn't remember the sub for toasting the grains and subbed with Caramel 10L. FG was 1.061 fermenting at 63 now. Will be a couple a weeks before I dry hop will be out of town for the Holidays.

Took a growler of this to a beer exchange last night to share. I had several people try some, and every one had the same response, "Wow, this is really good." I'll be putting this one on my regular rotation.

I have 11.5 gallons of this bubbling away currently with 34/70 (I had a slug of it available from a recent 3 crops batch). I took my final SG reading after the boil and had a nice shock: 1.044.... I went back over my grain bill and realized I left out 6lbs of base malt. I was using up the last of some bulk 2-row and then was switching to some 10lb bags and something got lost in translation. Oh well, I did add a pound of rolled oats in an effort to bump up mouthfeel so I'm actually kinda excited to see how this work out, could be a really nice 4.5%er.

IMG_20190722_210416.jpg
IMG_20190722_193739.jpg
Just brewed this again after being unable to homebrew for about 9 years or so. Still my favourite pale ale, not just homebrew, but commercial examples accounted for as well. And I work with beer and have for about 20 years.

I live in Europe and can't get American base malts, so I've altered the malt bill slightly. I use Marris Otter for base malt and about 2% amber malt and 4% crystal 40L (I prefer 40L to 60L for pale ales ). Other than that, I follow your recipe. It is just as good as I remembered it. I might up the specialty malts 1% each or so the next time around and see what I prefer, but damn this is a good beer.

Thank you for an amazing recipe!

Last edited:
It's been a few years since I have made this recipe. This one turned more towards liking Pales and Amber's more so I sought out some and started making one that is somewhat similar and has just stuck with me. Mine uses El Dorado, Simcoe, and Denali for hops.

I kind of forgot about this great recipe though, might have to revisit it soon.

Just brewed this again after being unable to homebrew for about 9 years or so. Still my favourite pale ale, not just homebrew, but commercial examples accounted for as well. And I work with beer and have for about 20 years.

I live in Europe and can't get American base malts, so I've altered the malt bill slightly. I use Marris Otter for base malt and about 2% amber malt and 4% crystal 40L (I prefer 40L to 60L for pale ales ). Other than that, I follow your recipe. It is just as good as I remembered it. I might up the specialty malts 1% each or so the next time around and see what I prefer, but damn this is a good beer.

Thank you for an amazing recipe!

Thank you very much for the kind compliments!

I've made many adjustments over the years based on what ingredients I can get. I actually use C40 in it now as well, but I still always toast my malt. You can definitely tell a difference. I still brew it about every other brew day!

10 gallons in. No Amarillo in stock, so took a chance with New Zealand Motueka as a sub, little less alpha (7%) than the Amarillo, but like it for the lime. Wort tasting indicates opportunity for greatness. Thanks Dude!

Did a pinch pint off the first keg, and Wow, Nice!!! The light toasted caramel with a smoooooth finish.
Definitely doing another batch, ordered in some Amarillo to follow it to the T.
image1(1).jpeg

Just brewed a different version of this yesterday. Couple changes to the malt bill so it’s not a Lake Walk, but figured since this was the inspiration for it, I’d post a pic of the sample I took as I put in in my fermenter to take a gravity reading.. 1.059.

Attachments

• 20FEC19B-0D7E-452E-800B-01AD3233A36C.jpeg
    20FEC19B-0D7E-452E-800B-01AD3233A36C.jpeg
    1,011.7 KB · Views: 35
I brewed this recipe for my wedding on 4/30/22 using WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast. I adjusted the boil additions due to the different AA for my Simcoe and Amarillo to nail the same calculated IBUs. I followed the original recipe and toasted 2# of pale 2-row.. came out to 5% ABV. After reading this thread I planned to give it enough time to keg condition for 3-4 weeks. Wise choice because it wasn't good until at least 2 weeks in the keg. It was pretty harsh when it was young and I was considering not serving it, but after 3 weeks it came together and was fantastic. The beer turned out to be a huge hit and our guests kicked the keg during cocktail hour! I received a lot of positive feedback. Definitely recommend WLP090 for this recipe, as it brought along some pleasant fruitiness. Thanks OP for the fantastic recipe!

Back