10 Gallons of Pumpkin Ale brewed up this weekend.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racked to primary a few hours ago. Had a great stuck sparge and clogged my counterflow chiller. Hopefully it'll come out good.

I tried to, but I couldn't find fresh pumpkins yet. When I asked a store employee about canned pumpkin he told me it wasn't in season yet. WTF?! It's canned, it doesn't ripen or go bad. There isn't a season. Oddly enough I asked him while standing next to a christmas display which was "in season".

I did mine last sunday. Had to use canned pumpkin since all of the stores I had called said they wouldn't get any pumpkins in until the last week of september at the earliest. However, I noticed last wednesday that vons already had some

Brewed my Squashbuckler two days ago...it uses butternut and acorn squash, along with some sweet potato "syrup." Hope this year's AG turns out as well as last year's partial mash!

I tried to, but I couldn't find fresh pumpkins yet. When I asked a store employee about canned pumpkin he told me it wasn't in season yet. WTF?! It's canned, it doesn't ripen or go bad. There isn't a season. Oddly enough I asked him while standing next to a christmas display which was "in season".

I ran into the same issue when I asked the store clerk about canned pumpkin. He also stated that it was not is season. Yet on my way out, while walking down the baking isle there was a shelf of the stuff. As it turns out they only stock it near the canned veggies when its in season. Through out the rest of the year they stock it next to the brown sugar in the baking isle. At lease that is how they do it in the Chicago land area. This may or may not help you, but I have learned not to trust the clerks.

they have it all year long in our grocery store. I used a ton of rice hulls this time and had no problems at all. Now im brewing up my dunkelweizen, 15 gallon weekend! I age my dunkel with cherrywood, it comes out sooooooooo tasty!

We brewed up our "Pumpkin" Ale this weekend. Not an ounce of actual pumpkin in it. We use roasted butternut squash instead of actual pumpkins. I find it to be a little bit sweeter and has a creamier texture to it. We also toss the squash and spices into the boil and move it to primary. What does everyone else do?

You can read about last years batch at: http://powellavenuebrew.com/2010/11/eryns-punkin-pie-ale/

Three grocery stores in my area had no canned pumpkin. One had a sign on the shelf about the wet weather last year causing a lack of good pumpkins and that new product would be arriving in a few weeks. Luckily SWMBO had a can on the shelf. I ended up using her one 15oz can and one 29oz can of Sweet Potato Pie in the mash. Used 1/4 tsp of the spices and one cinnamon stick in the fermentor.

I did 10 gallons this weekend too. 5 gallons of Pumpkin Ale and 5 gallons of my Hefeweizen. This was my first time doing pumpkin. I used 60oz (4x15oz cans) of Libby's pure pumpkin (baked in the oven at 350 with 8oz of brown sugar mixed in it for 60 minutes). I put it in the boil for the last 30 minutes. I used 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg, and 1/2 tsp cloves as well as 1.5lbs brown sugar (2lb total with the amount in the pumpkin). The smell and even the hydrometer taste was amazing. Really looking forward to it.

But now I want to brew several more. The thing that sucks about brewing is having to wait all these weeks to see how my first one turns out! lol. I don't want to start another recipe tweaked differently and find out I should've adjusted a different way or that my initial recipe was perfect as is.

Rev.

Latest posts

Back