annapolis, MD area brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any more thoughts on a name? I think Annapolis Brewers, Connoisseurs, and Drinkers (A.B.C.D.) has had the most positive response but only a few folks have chimed in. Any new ideas for a name? I'm thinking we will have a vote off at the meeting.

I like A.B.C.D.

Also, I will volunteer to be the "librarian." I only have two books right now (and I'm sure everyone else has the same ones): Jim Palmer's "How To Brew" and Jamil's "Brewing Classic Styles."

How about the Annapolis sAlers? Everybody loves a good pun. The capital A in sAlers could even be made to look like a sail if you really wanted to get creative.

I know that poorboy is actually in the PR business. He'd probably be good at running the fb page.

eh, i'm not social media retarded, i can take on a FB page.
I'll take notes. I was a yeoman in my past life in the navy.

I'll also probably bring something for people to snack on. Likely whatever I grab last minute on my way over.

Yeomans don't take notes. You were decieved into doing ****ty work.

It's not looking real good for my attendance, but I'm a big fan of Sails and Ales, or re-establishing Aleing Sailors. Let me know how things go, and I'll get to work on the FB page. Someone take a mess of pictures!

Not to be different, but do we have to be a cutesy name of initials??? All those names are just silly... We can be more creative than that...

I also wanted to mention the opportunity to do Bulk Group orders of ingredients either local or online. I'm sure we could wrangle discounts from a vendor or two either way.

DolemiteGK said:
I also wanted to mention the opportunity to do Bulk Group orders of ingredients either local or online. I'm sure we could wrangle discounts from a vendor or two either way.

I was just thinking about this a few hours ago. It's a good plan

We did this a lot in the Guam Homebrew Club. I definitely recommend it and its a great reason to be a part of a club.

Also, Annapolis Home Brew Shop stated that they would like to help sponsor the club so I asked about card carrying members being able to get discounts at the store as a membership benefit. They didn't say yes but said they were interested in the idea and were currently working on some incentive discount programs to implement in the near future. One of the clubs I was in was able to get a 10% discount for members at all local home brew shops so its worth asking all the area shops if they would do something like this.

SuperSpy,

What's the current head count for tomorrow...just contemplating how much homebrew to bring for sampling.

Also, I'll pick up som munchies on the way over

We did this a lot in the Guam Homebrew Club. I definitely recommend it and its a great reason to be a part of a club.

Also, Annapolis Home Brew Shop stated that they would like to help sponsor the club so I asked about card carrying members being able to get discounts at the store as a membership benefit. They didn't say yes but said they were interested in the idea and were currently working on some incentive discount programs to implement in the near future. One of the clubs I was in was able to get a 10% discount for members at all local home brew shops so its worth asking all the area shops if they would do something like this.

If not, it can't hurt to inquire at MD Home Brew in Columbia. But I think if you explained to the Annapolis guys that the increased amount of $ spent overall mitigates any 10% discount

If not, it can't hurt to inquire at MD Home Brew in Columbia. But I think if you explained to the Annapolis guys that the increased amount of $ spent overall mitigates any 10% discount

I think that's why we need to ask the shops after we have a roster of members and get an idea of how many members frequent each shop.

SuperSpy,

What's the current head count for tomorrow...just contemplating how much homebrew to bring for sampling.

Also, I'll pick up som munchies on the way over

The confirmed number is 8 including myself. The list is:

SuperSpy
kmcogar
clint04
djdixon1995
jamesmrea
eviljay
gotsumbeers
DolemiteGK

Let me know if I forgot you or you're bringing a friend.

I have 5 beers (3 homebrews, 2 commercial brews) packed up and ready to go for tomorrow. I would like to bring more, but I have to try to put them in the office fridge tomorrow, since it isn't feasible for me to go home and get them before the meeting.

Superspy, if for some reason storing beer in my office fridge is frowned upon, do you think I could drop them off at your place sometime before the meeting officially begins so that we can get them chilled?

Not to be different, but do we have to be a cutesy name of initials??? All those names are just silly... We can be more creative than that...

Dolemite brings up a good point. Another question to keep in mind is what do we call ourselves once we've picked a name? For example, I was in the Knights of the Brown Bottle Home Brew Club and we called ourselves the "knights." What do we call ourselves if we're the ABCDs? Imagine seeing this in a few months:

"Hey ABCDs, it's time to start brewing up those winter warmers if you want them to be ready for the holidays."

Now replace ABCDs with "Knights." The same goes for Mashtronauts, Foam Rangers, or any other homebrew club where the members use the name to identify and distinguish themselves among other clubs. Just some food for thought. Any other name ideas?

Superspy, if for some reason storing beer in my office fridge is frowned upon, do you think I could drop them off at your place sometime before the meeting officially begins so that we can get them chilled?

Either my wife or I should be home around 5pm. Give me a call if you need to stop by.

Wish I could make it tonight. But I'll have Belgian Golden Strong Ale and Northern English Brown Ales ready for the next meeting.

Here are some ideas for the Name:

Radical Brewers of the Mid Bay - "Radical Brewers"
Epic Brewers of the Mid Bay - "Epic Brewers"
Radical Brewers of Annapolis
Epic Brewers of Annapolis

Mike

I like the idea of straying from the acronyms.

Even though I don't live in Annapolis, and I am not a Sailor at all, I vote for the sAlers.

I was reading into beer mythology to try to find a good or fun name.

Ægir was the sea god who brewed ale for all the gods. He hosted a party where Thor brought a kettle to brew in. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Ægirs Annapolis Hall of Homebrewers
(or something like that) We could be called Ægirs . That is if anyone knows how to pronounce it.

Also, The mythical Flemish king Gambrinus, is sometimes credited with the invention of beer.

The Gambrinus brewers of Annapolis

Gambrinus'

Just a thought.

well, YN, where are the notes?

I was gonna take notes, but I drank too much, so here's a brief recap.

We sampled quite a few commercial Saisons.

We designated a "trophy" for our club brewing competitions, the first bottle we opened as a club.

We moved on to home brewed saisons and then to whatever home brews members brought. My dreams were haunted by a black ipa and a roggenbier.

Next month is IPA month. There were quite a few people with one of those in the works, so we'll be bringing a few commercial samples and home brewed IPAs to the next meeting.

The next meeting may fall on the 2nd Thursday of June (the 14th) as there are 2 conflicts so far with the 3rd Thursday. We need to discuss that as a group and make sure that it works for everyone.

We briefly discussed the naming of the club but didn't decide on anything just yet.

I made fun of the Air Force for a while.

After this the night gets a little hazy. I think I also played with some dogs and ate short ribs.

All in all a very successful first meeting!

We all added our names to an email list that SuperSpy is going to send out at some point so we can move off of homebrewtalk.com for "official business."

Since the Air Force never actually goes to work, I imagine he'll have this done today.

R/

Jay "EvilJay" Wonch, Supreme Allied Commander of the Club Not Yet Named

Jay "EvilJay" Wonch, Supreme Allied Commander of the Club Not Yet Named

Hahah I'd say that wraps everything up with a neat little bow.

I had a great time. Looking forward to future meetings.

Even though I won't be at the next meeting, I might try to make an IPA to drop off at Superspy's house.

Gentlemen, and Jay,

Great time last night! I just finished cleaning up and other than a few reusable grocery bags I don't think anyone left anything that they meant to take home.

I honestly don't think that first meeting could have gone any better. Thanks to everyone for coming out and sharing your home brew. Thanks to James for the saison yeast he handed out at the end. Thanks to Ben for the fresh bread and the info on the Free State Homebrewers Guild Picnic on 2 June. (http://mdhomebrewers.com/) And again thanks to everyone that contributed to making this meeting such a huge success!

Later today you should all receive an e-mail from me with the contact info for everyone that was at last night's meeting. if you weren't at the meeting just contact me with your name and e-mail and I will add you to the list.

It was good to meet everyone. I had a good time. It was nice try other people's brews too. If no one is averse to driving down this way for the next meeting I can make some inquiries in to some local establishments. I'm down in the Deale/North Beach area.

I'll have to look for it, but I am damn near positive it's:

5 lbs. Weyermann Rye
4 lbs. Weyermann Munich
2 lbs. Weyermann Pilsner
0.25 lbs. Chocolate Rye
0.25 lbs. Caramel Rye

1oz of any German Noble Hop - 60min

Wyeast 3638 - Bavarian Wheat (1,000ml starter)

Mash:
Sacc' Rest - 60 mins @ 152 degrees
Mashout - 15 mins @ 168 degrees

If you brew this, use more rice hulls than I did. I used 0.25 lb of rice hulls, and damn it that was dumb. Rye is a B*tch to brew with sometimes, and I would use at least 0.5 lb of rice hulls next time.

Agreed. That was a great first meeting. It was great to meet you all and I'm already looking forward to next month...just the excuse I was looking for to roll-in on an IPA. Special thanks to our hosts!!

I believe this is a comprehensive list of all the proposed names I've heard:

M.A.S.H - Maryland Association of Serious Homebrewers
A.B.C.D. - Annapolis (or Ale) Brewers, Connoisseurs and Drinkers
A.L.E. - Annapolis Libation Experts Homebrew Club
Capitol City Homebrew Club
Western Shore Homebrew Club
A.A.A.A.H. - Annapolis Area Amalgamated Association of Homebrewers A.A.A.H - Annapolis Area Association of Homebrewers ("Trip-A H" or "Triple-A" for short)
The Sail and Ale Homebrew Club (Like the "Pig & Whistle" or "Fox & Hound" style pub names)
Sails and Ales
Sailing Alers
Aleing Sailors
Back Porch Brewmasters
Radical Brewers of the Mid Bay - "Radical Brewers"
Epic Brewers of the Mid Bay - "Epic Brewers"
Radical Brewers of Annapolis
Epic Brewers of Annapolis
The Gambrinus brewers of Annapolis

Oh yeah...Eviljay and the mashtuns

I'm favoring "Aleing Sailors" I'm a sucker for a double antandre...

It was good to meet everyone. I had a good time. It was nice try other people's brews too. If no one is averse to driving down this way for the next meeting I can make some inquiries in to some local establishments. I'm down in the Deale/North Beach area.
I'm good with Deal/Northbeach

Back