keg system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delboy

Reaction score
Hi
Ive came into the posseion of a home pub set-up:rockin: . I have been given a suremix CO2 and N2 gas cylinder(about three foot high), almost full. A Harp lager pump with light, a suremix regulator and an attachment for kegged beer (two lines in it looks line one for the gas and one for the beer to come out) oh and some sort of chiller that you can run the lines through to cool the beer.
Images are now uploaded to the gallery, but basically i was wondering is this system compatabile with cornelius kegs and what sort of modifications would i need to do to get it to work.
Any and all advice welcomed!!

It can definitely be made to be compatable. Some line-cuting and refitting of ball or pin valves will take care of it. You will have to find out the existing line diameters (or replace them all) as that is an important thing to consider when "balancing" the system to prevent excessive, or inferior, head. Some photos and a little more detail would help out!!

teheehee. inferior head. huh huh huh.

Are you from across the pond. I'm guessing Ireland because everything there is N/Co2 (beer gas) and stout taps.

There's some differences in equipment and what's available here and there.

Generally speaking, you definately have a treasure trove.
Everything appears to be commercial grade.

We are pretty envious of that chiller, but few of us have the information to help you with that. I'll be lurking to find that out.

I can tell you that you will either have to prime your kegs with dextrose or DME as you would for bottles because the N/Co2 set up will not allow you to force carbonate. If you're going for CAMRA ales then you probably knew that.

Other things that you'll have to look into are cornelius kegs and the appropriate connectors.

Well spotted olllllo i am indeed from Ireland, Belfast to be exact (haven't managed to put it into my profile yet).
Up to now my drinking career has all been in front of the bar :tank: , no experience of being behind it, so i know very little about this stuff.
i didn't know it couldnt be used to force carbonate, but i guess i wasn't really thinking of going down that road anyway. Does that mean that this system will only add carbonation as it leaves he tap?
As far as the chiller goes i again really have no idea about it!!

so its called a flash cooler then, i guess it must be worth holding onto! It very nearly went into the trash (SWMBO thought it was cluttering the place), it is after all just a big heavy boring looking box with a couple of tubes sticking out sounds like i should be glad i didnt dump it :rockin: .

This is a similar, probably more updated model:
http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/event-pid-FC-5000C.html

Perhaps there might be a Us/UK model difference also, not sure. I did a bunch of reading on those badboys a few months back and would have traded a few of my Strats for one. The "CTX25" demarcation on the back is different than anything I've seen.....though those number do correspond to a somewhat common glycol chiller pump system.

I feel like I'm watching Antiques Roadshow or Cash in the Attic or something here.....that thing is a FIND. When I get home I'll see if I can dig up any of the info I read about flashe chillers. I'm sure though, that it can definitely be used with cornies......for chris'sake it says Cornelius on it!!!!!

On the tank, yes, the beergas is really only suited to dispence the beer. Very little carbonation will result as the nitro doesn't like to do that sort of thing. If you keg condition you beer with DME or sugar though that system will push some pretty kickaZZ beer. I'm excited for you.

Fiery Sword said:

Wow is that $1100 price for real!!

And to think i got it and the other stuff for free! I bought a pool table off a couple who were moving home. It came from a wee bar they had built at the back of the house.
I got the pool table for what i thought was a very fair price, while there i asked them what they planned to do with the bar stuff and they quite happily gave it to me gratias.
I gather they were going to leave the stuff for the person they were selling the house to because they seemed v. nice and said what a lovely family home it was and how they were looking forward to moving in etc. Turned out they were millionaire property speculators and were trying to pick up the house to rent out or sell on for a quick profit (housing market nuts at the moment ~60% in a year). Because the bar stuff wasn't in the deal i think they were glad to sell/give it away to the first person to come along which just happened to be me :rockin: .

Latest posts

Back