The "dog" name in breweries.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdwardLee

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right category to post this in but...

Do dogs have symbolism pertaining to beer? I have noticed a lot of breweries have "dog" in their names such as...

Hair of the Dog
Flying Dog
Dogfish Head
LuckyLabs
Laughing Dog
Thirsty Dog
Sea Dog

I was just wondering if anyone knew if there was a special meaning...

Dogfish Head is named after a place in Maine called "Dogfish Head", but the rest may just be as simple as love for Dogs...

Interesting... and Lagunitas' logo is a dog as well. :) Tried a beer from a Baltimore brewery called "Pub Dog" in July as well. Never really thought about that... cool :)

Don't forget BrewDog!

images

Agreed. That's the same reason most of my beers are named after hookers. And the other ones are named after Iggy Pop and Manute Bol.

There may be more to it, but the simple answer in my mind is that people love their pets and dogs are mans best friend.

I wouldn't include Hair of the Dog in that list, though. That's from a saying and is not about actual dogs, you know?

Lucky Lab in Portland was one of those dog friendly places though. When I was going there, people would always bring their dogs.

My labels say:

"Brewed by a drunk and his two dogs..."

They're my brew buddies....though they don't help very much....

Dogfish Head is named after a place in Maine called "Dogfish Head", but the rest may just be as simple as love for Dogs...

And the Dogfish Head in Maine, is actually named after the Dogfish Shark which is shown on the Dogfish Head brews.

They're in Delaware though.

Right, but I believe Sam Calagione is from New England, and the DogFish Head in Maine was the inspiration for the brewery name. :mug:

Its been a while since I was on the tour, but its something like that! :tank:

actually its named after the island that the founder's family vacationed as a child.

I stand corrected!

A head is a spit of land like a peninsula. Dogfish Head is in Maine and is what Sam C named the brewery after.

I should name my beers after dogs, my dogs are named Guinness (a black and tan dachshund) and Killian (a red dachshund).

Mighty Arrow
is a beer named after a dog

and we call ours "dogsville" though it isn't only named for the dog

I just found 2 more named for their Dachshunds.

Dubbel Dachs, not sure if they are commercial, and III Dachshunds Beer Co.

Back