Stainless pot vs. aluminum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roofjump

Reaction score
I read somewhere to only use a stainless pot to boil the wort. How true is this? And is it the most economical solution to just pick up a turkey fryer kit? Have to boil outside as the wife doesn't like me stinking up the house. Thanks!

I personally would never boil in the house because of boil overs. I also wouldnt suggest anything but stainless for a brew kettel. IMHO for whatever thats worth
JJ

Oh no not the dreaded aluminum question. Quick! Everybody hide their scientific data, and quote their favourite 'the sky is falling' internet rumours instead. :drunk:

roofjump, you've inadvertantly asked one of the most controversial questions in homebrewing. You won't get a clear answer one way or the other, backed up by any substantial proof.

I'll just go back to my aluminum/stainless system and quietly brew another batch now.

roofjump said:
I read somewhere to only use a stainless pot to boil the wort. How true is this? And is it the most economical solution to just pick up a turkey fryer kit? Have to boil outside as the wife doesn't like me stinking up the house. Thanks!

In Palmer's book, he says an aluminum brew pot is a good option.

A good, heavy-duty aluminum pot is better than a cheap stainless pot. A good, heavy-duty stainless pot is your best option, but also your most expensive.

haaa, didn't know I opened up such a big can o' worms. I think I'll just go with the aluminum since it seems to be about $30 cheaper. So the turkey fryer setup will work just fine? And it sounds like I want an 8.5 gallon setup right? If I want to do a full boil, or start an AG soon. Currently still stuck in extract land. Thanks guys.

roofjump said:
haaa, didn't know I opened up such a big can o' worms. I think I'll just go with the aluminum since it seems to be about $30 cheaper. So the turkey fryer setup will work just fine? And it sounds like I want an 8.5 gallon setup right? If I want to do a full boil, or start an AG soon. Currently still stuck in extract land. Thanks guys.
Will 8.5 gallon work for all grain? Probably. I wouldn't use it though. I use a 10 gallon kettle and I still have to watch pretty close for boil-over when the boil starts. I don't think I could stop a boil-over in a 8.5 gallon pot.

8.5 gallons is on the low side for all grain, but the turkey boiler is a great place to start. What I did when I started doing some AG, was convert the turkey kettle into a mash tun and purchased a larger kettle for the boil.

Stainless is easier to clean after a burn-on. More difficult to drill.

roofjump said:
...Have to boil outside as the wife doesn't like me stinking up the house. Thanks!

This is a flawed premise, as any home brewer can tell you. First of all, it smells great. Second, how often does it happen? Light a couple of candles, open a couple of windows and alls well.

I have a four gallon stainless steel pot that I bought at Kohl's for about $16 bucks. Can't beat it for boiling up a couple of gallons, and boil overs are not a problem unless I put the top on it. But why would I? I'm cooking inside!

I also kinda agree that anything that you cook up inside could possibly 'smell'... what is the big deal that it happens to be beer that you are cooking up and that it has a disagreeeable smell at times. This is like fish... sometimes you cook it and nothing... other times and it seems like you get a big fishy smell.

Ok... well now the dreaded question. There was once a time that it was thought that using Al was not a good idea. Like it was said, Palmer gives his stamp of O.K. I also want to add that a lot of people use Al. I mean A LOT of people use Al. Our pop and beer cans are Al and we have not died yet from it. The resturant industry uses Al. The nursing home I work at... everything they cook with is Al.

I think you should get what you can afford now. I can honestly say I can't recall one thing that anyone here has done that they have died from. Can anyone even say something about doing something that made them sick. Lets face it, we have seen some real strange stuff here. So far, everyone seems to live through it wihtout any sort of brain damage (with the possible exception of tubgirl).

Beer Snob said:
Lets face it, we have seen some real strange stuff here. So far, everyone seems to live through it wihtout any sort of brain damage (with the possible exception of tubgirl).

... and the brain hemorrhaged Walker-san? :drunk:

PS: I think I am going to get a nice lead pot. My LHBS has a great deal on them.

Walker-san said:
... and the brain hemorrhaged Walker-san? :drunk:

PS: I think I am going to get a nice lead pot. My LHBS has a great deal on them.

Make sure you use steele wool to make it nice and shinny too :D Come to think of it, I did come here with a tumor didn't I...... but I had it way before I started brewing again :D So we can't blame Al on it....

Don't any of you guys have an adjustable regulator on your burners?

I just turn the fire down a tad as the hot break rises to the top. No boilover yet....well,except the time I made 9 gallons in a 9 gallon pot. I think that one was due to tidal influences. And. I think holding the temp just below boiling might allow more co-agulation of the break to happen.

Back