bottle sanitation and storage method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmgreen7

Reaction score
Plenty of people have spoken up about sanitizing your bottles in the dishwasher, but has anyone wrapped the tops with saran wrap after that? I've been doing it lately and it seems to be working well. If the bottles are still warm then as the cool, they will actually pull the wrap into the bottle a little and create an air tight seal. Makes a nice pop when you pull the wrap off. I'm thinking it would be nice as medium-long term storage of sanitized bottles. Any thoughts?

makes sense to me. maybe a bit cumbersome to tear off all the little bits of plastic wrap...personally i just throw my used bottles back into their racks after a quick rinse and worry about sanitation just prior to bottling.

Speaking as someone who sanitizes in the dishwasher, FTW? (smiley face)

If you open the dishwasher then do the bottling there is no need for this.

Do you sanitize then bottle a couple days later?

I used to do this in the past, and as such used this technique many times. I don't have a dishwasher, so I was sanitizing bottles a day or two before in the kitchen sink and using either saran wrap or aluminum foil to cover them.

I have since bought a vinator to sanitize right at bottling time. It saves me a lot of time in the bottling process compared to having to do it in the sink.

I have since bought a vinator to sanitize right at bottling time. It saves me a lot of time in the bottling process compared to having to do it in the sink.

I love the vinator and bottle rack - with these, bottling a 5 gallon batch takes me less than one hour. :ban:

When i'm done w/ the bottles, i have to rinse them anyway. if i'm rinsing them, i figure i might as well just throw them into the dishwasher a few at a time. My thing is that the bottling day is the least fun of any of the brewing relating activities for me. The quicker i can get it done, the better.

Plus, is there a problem with bottling warm/hot bottles?

Back