Mini Mash time - generally speaking.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brocster

Reaction score
.......what is a better target for most types of beers? Shooting closer to 60 minutes or allowing to sit more towards the 90 minute timeframe?

Nothing major here in reasoning, just curious as to your thoughts. I am interested in being as efficient as possible to the recipe I would be working on. I usually brew 1.050 - 1.065 ales. 6 pounds typical for the mini mash portion.

Really just wondering how anal I need to be.......:D

For efficiency I think that the time is less important as long as you give it an hour. I think that the most important part is hitting your temps and making sure you sparge enough to get all the sugars rinsed out.

I am still new to PM/AG so someone with some more experience might jump in and correct me. But I think as long as you hit and hold your temps 60 minutes is enough time.

60 minutes should be plenty of time as long as you're using enough base malt. I could see going a bit longer if you have a high percentage of low enzyme malts and/or adjuncts - I generally use 40-50% base malt and I've never had a problem. There have been only a few recipes I've seen where that would be tough to do with a 6 lb mash.

A starch-negative check is the only way to tell if the mash has completed. Depending on the recipe, it could be 40 minutes or 90+ minutes, or anything in between.

Get some iodine and check.

B

Back