Irish moss question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raumr

Reaction score
Quick question, I'm currently working on a Russian imperial stout and forgot to add my Irish moss during the brewing process. Been a week now and the batch is in my secondary fermentor. Was just going to deal with a very cloudy beer, however I was wondering if I could add some Irish moss to the batch 1 week in and still have it work out? Plan was if I do, add the Irish moss was to boil it for 5-10 mins to make sure it's clean then pour it in. Any thoughts about the matter would be great.

Quick question, I'm currently working on a Russian imperial stout and forgot to add my Irish moss during the brewing process. Been a week now and the batch is in my secondary fermentor. Was just going to deal with a very cloudy beer, however I was wondering if I could add some Irish moss to the batch 1 week in and still have it work out? Plan was if I do, add the Irish moss was to boil it for 5-10 mins to make sure it's clean then pour it in. Any thoughts about the matter would be great.

It needs to boil in the pot to release carageenan into the wort.

You can try gelatin, which won't help with the chill haze but will help with suspended particles. Search the forum for proper use (it's done when racking to secondary).

Sweet, trying the gelatin approach. Should i rack again in a few days or wait a couple weeks till I'm ready to bottle? Thanks for the advice again :)

Honestly, I don't see why boiling the IM in a separate pot won't work. All you are doing is breaking down teh carrageenan into something soluable so, it doesn't have anything to do with sugars or IBU extraction. Furthermore, the carrageenan is most effective in the fermenter anyways (has to do with the helical structure condensing itself and trapping haze forming proteins).

It should still work.

In a RIS, I'd question if it's really necessary at this point. I mean, it's a stout and won't be very noticeable.

Troo. Visual clarity is not an issue in a stout but, long term stability is.

I won;t assert that a RIS is going to stale quickly because hazing proteins are in it but, something as simple as bopiling a little IM and adding it late shouldn't do anything to hurt the finished beer in the long run either. If nothing else, it could help to drop some of the proteins out and further the long term stability of the beer.

Now, if you don't plan on this beer being around anymore in 6 mos to a year then I wouldn;t bother either.

Alright here's an update. I'm trying something new, instead of using gelatin I'm trying out some agar powder that I had left over from cooking a week ago. Agar powder is basically the same thing as gelatin but is made out of plants for vegetarians or vegan ( lucky I'm nether :p ). I looked at a lot of posts on forums and figured 1/2 - 1 tsp gelatin and 4 oz of water boiled for about 5-10 mins. was the best bet. I used the agar powder but figured I should use less instead of too much. 1/2 tsp of agar in 6 oz of water boiled (rolling boil) for 5 mins. Poured out the excess so I had 4 oz of water and added it on top of my secondary fermentor.

Here's the results, sorry about the crappy resolution my camera just died so I've been using my cell phone with no flash.
Primary (1 week)
dsc00114ree.jpg

Secondary (6 hours after the agar was added)
dsc00115cez.jpg

Went from being a milky coffee to being pitch black. I still want some sediment seeing how it is a RIS. I just wanted it too look abit more like beer instead of coffee. If anyone knows or has any thoughts on how long to leave it, I would like to hear your thoughts :)

Back