I'm this close to giving up. Seriously.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
UPDATE: This thread documents events currently in progress which began February 19, 2009. It has attracted considerable attention from many people with many different opinions on the matter. Feel free to comment, but before you comment on an early post, try and make sure it hasn't already been addressed.

So, I've been married just over half a year.

After finding out I'm getting laid off, I talk to a guy I know who has good connections in my industry.

He recommends I come out to meetings with his group of nerdy guys, ya know, to network and have a beer or two. Just once a week, thursday nights, nothing fancy.

This was my second Thursday out with them. I had one 22-oz Rogue Dead Guy and one pint of unidentified IPA (I asked for a Terrapin Rye but didn't bother to correct anyone when it came out).

Meanwhile I'm texting her the whole time, since she's all home alone, just you know, to let her know I'm thinking about her.

Give her a call when I'm leaving and she's real standoffish, and hangs up on me. Come home and she's livid. I mean really, homicidal. Furious.

I guess I gotta back up a few years here. When we first came to Nashville in 2006, my dad and his then brand new wife took me out on the town. Got me drunk and somehow got me to do a body shot in this seedy bar by the river. Well, that didn't go over too well with her.

To be clear -- it was a mistake. It was bad. I should not have done it. I don't disagree with her on that. BUT -- I have never done anything remotely like that since then, and it has been a long time since I've done anything social. In fact it was probably more than a year before the wedding that I hung out with guy friends.

So I come back tonight and she's demanding to know what whore I was screwing around with that I got home at 9:30 instead of 8:30.

Again, let me clarify. I didn't actually specify when I'd be home. Last week, I said I'd be home at 8:30 but she didn't care that I was half an hour late. Not to mention, I hadn't been texting her nonstop. I also made it clear last week that people wanted to hang out longer but I cut out early, and she told me that I didn't have to do that.

Meanwhile I'm trying to be reasonable, and account for every second I was out. She doesn't care. She feels justified in accusing me of screwing around because, in her words, she "isn't the one who did a f*cking body shot". Never mind that she's stayed out until 4AM and I'm panicking and calling the police and thinking she's dead, then she hobbles in on her friend's shoulder unable to walk. I'm just supposed to take that in stride. But I come home at 9:30 PM and it's grounds for divorce?

So it gets pretty intense, and I'm thinking this argument is going nowhere. I grab the keys because I want to exit the situation and reassess the damage when things have cooled down, and she goes "oh, you going to do another body shot?"

So now I've lost all control. I tell her, "yes, I'm going to do a body shot. Then I'm going to go find a hooker to have sex with."

Now again, let's be clear, she's accused me of screwing around possibly hundreds of times since the "incident", and I've taken every single one on the nose. I've had a desire to say those words every time she brought it up, but I've always fought the urge. Tonight I don't know what happened differently, but it just came out.

You can't imagine the screaming. I don't think anyone who ever met her would even think she's capable of it. I'm surprised nobody called the police to report us. I swear you never hear anyone else screaming at each other like this in our apartment complex.

So I'm sleeping on the couch tonight, and probably not allowed to go out with "the guys" ever again.

Funny, just this morning, I was thinking about some of the pictures with us together in them and thinking that if I did it all over again I couldn't imagine doing it with someone else. And I thought, you know, that's something I should really tell her when I see her tonight. Funny how a couple hours can seem like an eternity ago.

You can be honest. Am I just an as5hole husband? Or should I expect better than this? I'm really not trying to escape any of the blame here. Don't be afraid to hurt my feelings. Seriously.

Well, it sort of depends. If this body shot was done off a stranger, no big deal. If it was done off an ex-girlfriend or anyone your wife knows, that's probably a little worse.

I don't know how you are, but personally, if someone raises their voice at me like that, it had better be in the line of duty. If it was my wife, I sure as s*** wouldn't let it happen a second time. I don't mean that I would get violent (my mom tought me better than that) just that the second time, she'd be signing the divorce papers.

Think about this for a second... She's still dwelling over something that happened 3 years ago.

Three

Years

That's a long friggin time! I barely remember where I was living three years ago. You guys weren't even married yet, and she's still angry about it. If it was me, I would pull chocks and get the f*** out of Dodge before it's too late. Tell me you don't have kids with this woman, please.

Well, it sort of depends. If this body shot was done off a stranger, no big deal. If it was done off an ex-girlfriend or anyone your wife knows, that's probably a little worse.

I don't know how you are, but personally, if someone raises their voice at me like that, it had better be in the line of duty. If it was my wife, I sure as s*** wouldn't let it happen a second time. I don't mean that I would get violent (my mom tought me better than that) just that the second time, she'd be signing the divorce papers.

Think about this for a second... She's still dwelling over something that happened 3 years ago.

Three

Years

That's a long friggin time! I barely remember where I was living three years ago. You guys weren't even married yet, and she's still angry about it. If it was me, I would pull chocks and get the f*** out of Dodge before it's too late. Tell me you don't have kids with this woman, please.

Yes, it was a stranger, a bar employee in fact, and no we have no kids together.

It was three years, but just this past Christmas she found a picture of me doing the shot in my dad's freaking photo album. Which has made the experience BRAND NEW to her.

I even told her that. I asked her why she married me if she didn't trust me. I guess she thought I'd "change". But if I haven't done anything remotely cheating-like in three -- effing -- years, what's there to change?!

Don't think I'm not thinking about it. But dammit, 6 months of marriage? How effing pathetic?!

I also come from a family where if I divorce her this early on, I'll basically be totally shunned the rest of my life. No support group to fall back on.

Yes, it was a stranger, a bar employee in fact, and no we have no kids together.

I also come from a family where if I divorce her this early on, I'll basically be totally shunned the rest of my life. No support group to fall back on.

You've got us. :eek:

Seriously though, I'm sure you have friends. As for your family, they'll come around if you explain that she's basically psychotic. Unless this woman is a cousin or something, in which case I think we're done talking now.

Oh, I just ran your story by my wife... just to make sure I wasn't giving a uniquely male perspective. She said "Yeah, he needs to get the **** out of there. Especially because it happened so long ago and they weren't even married yet."

I guess I may not follow completely :drunk:

The incident happened long before you got married and now it's an issue? Is that correct?

Come on, we all have skeletons....

I guess I may not follow completely :drunk:

The incident happened long before you got married and now it's an issue? Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct.

My biggest skeleton is getting arrested in a border town in Mexico. And I tell everyone because it's a good story.

Hell, my closet is so full of skeletons I have to ferment in the living room. There's just no more space in there.

I've been married for almost 6 years now. My wife knows pretty much everything I did in my past. If she decided to bring up something that I did long before we were even married, she'd get the c*** punt PDQ.

I would have to agree with the Llama on this one. I dont know you so I will just have to take your word that you are a good guy, that the worst you had done was a body shot three years ago. If that is the case your wife went way off the handle for no reason. Sounds like she has a lot more emotional and mental issues that she is not letting onto you about. Either she is afraid of what may happen if she tells you, or she is looking for any excuse of her own to get out of the marriage.

The part that gets me with this is that you let her go out all the time. You obviously have no issues with trusting her. And that is where it comes down to it. Marriage is about trust first and foremost. Even if one party has trust issues, issues that you cant work through (and after 3 years its sounds like it) you will never be happy together.

Like Llama said, I dont do well with yelling either, once I can handle, if it is my fault maybe a couple of times, but with something like this, I would sit down with her, try to have a rational non-threatening conversation. Tell her how you feel, be honest, try at all costs to stay calm. If she just wont listen and flies off the handle again, tell her that it is over, tell her you are leaving and will most likely file for a divorce. Tell her only once, don't be threatening, stand up and leave.

You're a young guy, get out and live, divorce sucks, but sometimes it is the only choice. I wish you the best of luck.

how long did you know her before marriage? that could have alot to do with it.

We dated three years before we got married.

I swear, half the time I do this she's perfectly fine with it. The other half it's like I've married a serial killer.

I try to bring this up with her when she's in a good mood and it's this hurt little, "why would you bring that up?" kind of reaction...

And really, this behavior seemed to have gone away for awhile, but at the same time I wasn't going out much. And yeah, I really don't have any close friends, unfortunately.

well, be honest here, and if you have been drinkin, like i have, well........read this tomorrow.

i see all this **** lately about 50% failure rate in marriage these days, and i think.... it is because people are ****ing lazy. lazy ****ing ****s!

anyway, marriage is work. no doubt about it.
i have been married for ten years, best ten of my 35, make no mistake about it, but better than any of my dating years.
my wife is my best freind, and i believe, that is how it is supposed to be. my old best freind, well, he is married now, and we talk every now and again, but he has his own life, and i have mine.
im not whipped mind you (and you married guys know, you get less after marriage than your worst dry spell!) but your priorities need to change, both of yours, and if you all do not talk together... your mr. statistic here soon.

get off the f'n internet, and talk to her.
dont go to sleep pissed at each other, and dont f'n scream/yell at each other. makes ya resent the other, and that wont help logevity(sp?) of a relationship.

SWMBO is awesome. would not know what to do without her, and i would not have it any other way. (ok, im hoping she reads this, and i get the best $%%!@#*(*(#$&*^&%^$%^ i ever had!!!)
:)

I don't even know if that's fair. It's not even half the time. It's just so unpredictable when it does happen that I've always let my guard down when it does.

I hate to say something like this, but there could very well be some genuine problem with your wife. I dated a girl for a few months who acted very much like this. It would have only been a few weeks, but man she was hot. Sometimes she would be cool as a fan, and then every once in a while she'd fly off the handle for hours at a time. I ended up breaking it off after she pulled a kitchen knife on me. A little bit of crazy I can handle, more so if it's in the bedroom, but weapons are right out.

Found out years later that she was bipolar, and now that she's on meds, we're friends again. She's totally cool now.

nosmatt -- that's the thing. I've *tried* to talk with her. Hell! The first thing I did when I got home was try to give her a hug and she shoved me away.

But what am I supposed to do? Apologize for not screwing around when she thinks I am screwing around? It's not like I kept her out of the loop about when I'd be home -- hell even when I was out with the guys I was texting her constantly! I'm sure if I were getting a lap dance I'd be a tad more distracted...

It's not as if I'm not trying here....

i should actually say everyone has bi-polar tendencies but women seem to be in less control of them.....i would hate to be chauvinistic.

i should actually say everyone has bi-polar tendencies but women seem to be in less control of them.....i would hate to be chauvinistic.

Seems to coincide with the phases of the moon, in fact.................:drunk: The guy who wrote the first werewolf story was married for sure.

bahahaha i cant say for sure having never been married. I have been in more than one awful relationship though if that counts. Never date a reformed stripper.

I don't really know any of you dudes, but this sounds torturous! I have some friends whose wives are sort of like this - they go out all the time with friends and have social lives, but if their husbands do anything they are perceived as being a bad father, cheating, or whatever.

I have been living/loving with the same girl for 10 years, and the only advice I have is to be honest and open about your feelings as much as possible. It sounds like your wife is really insecure, and is really paranoid that you will "cheat" on her, although based on what you have said, it sounds like you don't have a swinging social life and she has no reason to be worried. I think in this case, your uncomfortable feelings about being accused and distrusted all the time are very important to bring up - she needs to know that it hurts you because you love her so much. If she is mad that you are LATE, that is one thing, but to pile on the "you're cheating on me" just isn't fair.

I have no idea how you can convince her to trust you and let you tie one on with the boys now and then, but some honest discussion about her overreaction and how it hurts you to be accused of cheating seems like a good start. You need to setup some kind of quid pro quo where you can both have some semblance of a life without distrusting each other.

All this being said, if all of the reasoning is irrational, frank conversations sure can be difficult.

ps. sheesh i signed up for a homebrew forum and now im totally sober trying to think about marriage. wow.

On the one hand, I have a bad habit of staying in relationships too long.....
On the other, sometimes I don't want to hear the truth and instead maybe a "god that sucks, you hang in there", but ya know, more sincere than that.

Tonight I was tossing around the trial separation/marriage counselor thing. Hell, I've been to therapists before. Certainly helped me out.

I'm not even sure how she can say I was late. I texted her asking when she wanted me home and she said whenever.

I mean if she's not going to be direct with me....

Oh, and... I'm quite positive she'll be penitent in a day or two. She always is.

Which makes it all the more difficult to talk about her reactions because after all... she said sorry... :mad:

that is the exact reason why i will never get married!!

Oh, and... I'm quite positive she'll be penitent in a day or two. She always is.

Which makes it all the more difficult to talk about her reactions because after all... she said sorry... :mad:

talk to her when she seems to be in a receptive or generally upbeat mood. at least it will be less likely to escalate. just my dr. phil 2 cents (that guy is a ******)

'course now if I don't follow through on any of this... automatic forfeiture of my man card...

'sokay though, got it revoked already....

Is she pretty? Does she accuse you of doing what she does? When you were dating, did she act like the "perfect" woman for you? As in everything you would want?

Ok brother I have read this whole thread and I have to speak my mind here.
#1 you both have to sit down and chat. You NEED to ask her if she is ever going to get over this. You can’t live in fear that your SWMBO is going to SNAP when you want to go have drinks w/ the boys. If she says she is going to get over it then she has to get over it, and don't bring it up again, if she says she doesn’t know then get the FK out bro. Here is where you have a job to do. You have to tell her that if she brings this BULL $#!T up again... YOU WALK!!!!!! Dude quit being a FKN ***** here be the damn man of the house that you should be! You can and always will have differences in your marriage but DAMN you can't be held captive in your marriage because your wife is WACKED!!!and you did a GD damn body shot. uhhh grow the fk up. A normal woman would be like “ did you get her number so we can call her for the 4th of July party”LOL and just to set the stage here. I have been married to the same woman for 13 years we have 3 wonderful children and have about the best relationship anyone can hope for. We know, respect and understand each other. We talk and come to agreements on just about every level. From what you have posted it doesn’t sound like yours is capable of that. If that’s the case shut the fk up and walk away!! ***** is EASY to get and life is to damn short to walk on pins and needles, especially w/ your best friend!!!!. Only you know the real truth here.
Sorry if I was to honest here! But it sounds like your wife is about 22-24 years old and needs to grow the FK up!!! I say if she is going to blame you for FKEN a hooker and you just can’t seem to bring yourself to “ditch the bitc#” I say get that hooker!!!!! take pictures and post them here!!! LOL

I... umm... think that echoes my earlier sentiment. But I do think Jaybird is lying in his user title when he says he's "learning to spellcheck." :p

Let me just clarify, I was married to a woman with Borderline Personality Disorder for 5 years. 5 years of walking on egg shells wondering when she was going to fly off the handle.
She would tell me I need to get a life and then criticize any life I tried to get. At least you're trying to network for a job.

If you can't trust each other, you can't have a relationship.

I don't do relationships. I can't handle crazy and I don't play games...not many women out there for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back