Stop fermentation after the yeast has carbonated the soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splinterz169

Reaction score
Hey there this is more of a question then advice but if it works then I guess anyone can use it... Does anyone know if this will work?
I'm thinking of making soda and letting it ferment with yeast, but to prevent over fermentation or over carbonating and creating glass bombs, after a full 24hrs of letting the bottled soda carbonate, just take all the bottles and put them in warm (120 degree) water for like an hour to kill off the yeast. Then take em out and let them chill in fridge with no worries. Any thoughts?

That will not kill the yeast (120F) it will supercharge it and FUKK you royally.

This is a bad idea. Campden or the like is used in wine.

The possibility of things going really wrong is huge.

You first want to use PET bottles for soda, not glass! Allow them to carbonate until the PET is firm and hard (24-48 hours usually) and then place all bottles in the fridge to halt the fermentation and keep them cold.

You first want to use PET bottles for soda, not glass! Allow them to carbonate until the PET is firm and hard (24-48 hours usually) and then place all bottles in the fridge to halt the fermentation and keep them cold.

Problem with that is if they get warm, they may start fermenting again.

That and I personally feel that glass is classier haha but yeah I want to find a way to kill the yeast after it has carbonated the bottle. I'm gonna read that link real quick...

I will say this as well, BE CAREFUL. You're heating a sealed, pressurized vessel to 190F. I took mine off the burner, and added them in with tongs. Its important to put the lid on it as well. It's a very easy process, just be aware of all the things that go wrong.

cheezydemon3 said:
Problem with that is if they get warm, they may start fermenting again.

True, that's why I said keep them cold. I have small PET bottles of root beer in the fridge for 6 months now with no issues, perfectly carbonated. When we want one we take one.

True, that's why I said keep them cold. I have small PET bottles of root beer in the fridge for 6 months now with no issues, perfectly carbonated. When we want one we take one.

Absolutely!!

I would just be afraid to take them on a picnic or a hike. For me that clinches it.

I hate to be that guy, but if I didn't keg, I would NOT make soda.

Latest posts

Back