Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A7X

Reaction score
Am I the only guy who thinks stout tastes like someone boiled hotdogs into water, then threw out the hotdogs and bottled the water.

I gave my one of my sons a Lagunitas Cappuccino and he thought it tasted like cigarette ashes were in it... I loved it.. but, then again, I love stouts.

Damn! What stouts are you drinking??

Some stuff I picked up at a grocery store, I usually only drink ale lager or pilsner.

There was Murphy's stout, and Taddy or Tabby something, I think it was porter but also tasted like hotdogs. I really don't ever drink stout and only rarely porter.

I'm smelling troll. 99% of people who are unfamiliar with stouts (or even "dark" beer for that matter) will pick up coffee or chocolate flavors almost immediately. Also, stouts are ales.

IF this is serious, I'd say it will take time to acquire a taste for them. Don't give up because its one of my favorite styles. Try some American ones, like Rogue's Chocolate stout or Sierra Nevada's stout. Those are a little more robust as opposed to the thinner bodied English stouts IMO.

I certainly wouldn't condemn a whole style of beer based on a grocery store purchase, expecting the handling and turn-over of stock for anything unusual is going to be less than ideal in most such outlets. And I'd say for 98%+ of consumers, stout is definitely going to be unusual.

Fwiw, I simply love stouts, the bolder the better, and folks seem to really enjoy them, almost as much as I do. I typically end my evenings with a pour, and it's important enough that I always have a backup keg at the ready...

ab_sep_25_2011_01.jpg

Cheers!

I'm smelling troll. 99% of people who are unfamiliar with stouts (or even "dark" beer for that matter) will pick up coffee or chocolate flavors almost immediately. Also, stouts are ales.

IF this is serious, I'd say it will take time to acquire a taste for them. Don't give up because its one of my favorite styles. Try some American ones, like Rogue's Chocolate stout or Sierra Nevada's stout. Those are a little more robust as opposed to the thinner bodied English stouts IMO.

I will try stouts with very different or unique flavors, but for now I'm afraid to drop $ on unfamiliar territory. I didn't pick up any chocolate or coffee flavors (that would be nice). Just....hotdog. After I drank that first can I couldn't shake it off.

I know reading this will ruin stouts for someone out there.

Because of comments here, all I taste on hefe's anymore is banana. All I taste on Leinenkugel's beers is fruit loops. Haha.

I absolutely love em, so far in my short brewing career I have only brewed ales and one braggot, but I know some are in my future. ;)

I've never tasted "hotdog" in any beer, but I think it's safe to say there was something seriously wrong with the one you drank. If you got a hold of some crap, stale entenman's apple pie, would you give up on grandma's masterpiece? If so, you'd be missing out right?

Well first of all, IMO, stouts of any kind have a distinct malty and chocolatey flavour to them. Also, it should be served a bit warmer than your normal ale. I gather that is common knowledge but not everyone is aware of it. If you drink a stout cold it will, again in my opinion, taste like fuzzy slightly bitter water and won't really give you any flavour at all. Mill Street has a good stout under the name Cobblestone Stout. More on the bready side rather than sweet but still very nice. If you want something really dark and handsome, may I suggest Muskoka Brewery Winter Beard. It's a double chocolate cranberry stout that comes out around xmas. I understand that these are Canadian companies and those of you in the United States may/may not be able to purchase them just as I may not be able to purchase the amazing products your country has to offer. regardless of that fact though, we would not know of any of the styles of beers if no one told anyone of what any other country was brewing so it is only fitting that I share my knowledge with you:)

I'm a Stout Lover in particular a very bold stout. I've never picked up Hotdogs though ! In general I find Caramel, Licorice, Chocolate, and Black Berries.

Great drink for the winter months.

Cheers Mark

So now they're canned hotdogs

A7X said:
I will try stouts with very different or unique flavors, but for now I'm afraid to drop $ on unfamiliar territory. I didn't pick up any chocolate or coffee flavors (that would be nice). Just....hotdog. After I drank that first can I couldn't shake it off.

Am I the only guy who thinks stout tastes like someone boiled hotdogs into water, then threw out the hotdogs and bottled the water.
Yes. If you get any send them my way. I love to drink the hot dog flavored water.

I like some stouts but not other. I haven't pinned down what it is I like outside of Imperial Stouts and Chocolate Stouts.

Stouts are very broad in flavor.

Well, again, A7X has a right to his opinion.. that cool. Somehow tho.. I still sort of smell a troll :)

But for those of us who have a palette that is able to discern the different flavors and aromas of stouts.. Yesssssss. I shall continue to brew them and attempt to get better at it. I'm just glad my palette can't pick up canned hotdogs.. Ugggg.. :mug:

Well first of all, IMO, stouts of any kind have a distinct malty and chocolatey flavour to them. Also, it should be served a bit warmer than your normal ale. I gather that is common knowledge but not everyone is aware of it. If you drink a stout cold it will, again in my opinion, taste like fuzzy slightly bitter water and won't really give you any flavour at all. Mill Street has a good stout under the name Cobblestone Stout. More on the bready side rather than sweet but still very nice. If you want something really dark and handsome, may I suggest Muskoka Brewery Winter Beard. It's a double chocolate cranberry stout that comes out around xmas. I understand that these are Canadian companies and those of you in the United States may/may not be able to purchase them just as I may not be able to purchase the amazing products your country has to offer. regardless of that fact though, we would not know of any of the styles of beers if no one told anyone of what any other country was brewing so it is only fitting that I share my knowledge with you:)

I think I drank with ice, I'm pretty sure it was warmish.

I think I drank with ice, I'm pretty sure it was warmish.

were there hotdogs in the ice? i sometimes get that flavor when i accidentally throw my hotdog ice cubes in my stout instead of regular ice cubes.

That Sir is a thing of beauty!

I certainly wouldn't condemn a whole style of beer based on a grocery store purchase, expecting the handling and turn-over of stock for anything unusual is going to be less than ideal in most such outlets. And I'd say for 98%+ of consumers, stout is definitely going to be unusual.

Fwiw, I simply love stouts, the bolder the better, and folks seem to really enjoy them, almost as much as I do. I typically end my evenings with a pour, and it's important enough that I always have a backup keg at the ready...

ab_sep_25_2011_01.jpg

Cheers!

Back