First timer dident read the intructions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowdrinker

Reaction score
I am for the first time brewing beer and i finished boiling the wort and i put it in the plastic ferment-er added the yeast and then i put it in the glass one to let it ferment then i read the instructions i had to leave it in the plastic one then the glass one i the secondary. should i move it back or can i leave it there .

hey thanks

Wherever it is now, leave it there :) until it's done in two-three weeks

Welcome to the hobby.. it's a lot of fun, making mistakes, learning, and drinking beer.

If you got the wort and the yeast together, below ~80 degrees, in whatever container, make sure its covered and has an airlock, and it'll all be good. Primary/secondary is kinda relative.

Good to do, not bad to not do. Watch for activity, indicating the yeast is eating and making alcohol, and in a couple weeks you'll be ready for your next step. What type of beer did you brew? What yeast did you use?

Also, depending on how vigorous your fermentation is, your bung+airlock may get blown out of the carboy so you probably will want to rig up a blowoff tube at some point.

What beer are you making? Did your equipment come as a kit? From where did you get them?

Also, depending on how vigorous your fermentation is, your bung+airlock may get blown out of the carboy so you probably will want to rig up a blowoff tube at some point.

What beer are you making? Did your equipment come as a kit? From where did you get them?

+1

If your brew is 5 gallons your primary fermenter, the bucket, was probably 6.5 gallons which allows for the expansion of the krausen. Your secondary, glass carboy, might well be 5 gallons so, when the krausen expands, it'll take the path of least resistance, through the airlock, and if/when that gets blocked it'll continue to build pressure until it releases explosively. nmfree's suggestion of a blow-off tube would be a wise move.

No offense,but why did you rack it out of the bucket into the carboy? The ale pail would def have plenty of head space for krausen expansion. In either case,a blow off rig is always a good thing right from the start after pitching.

My question is why would attempt to brew beer for the first time without reading the instructions first? Doesnt seem logical to me.

I purchased a Kit Best Brewers I think , it American Pale Ale , and read the instructions that came with the kit , did not read the instructions that came with the other kit and the glass carboy had the airlock on it so i presumed that was the primary.

As long as the carboy is 6-6.5 gallons you're ok. If the pail has a spigot,it's likely a bottling bucket. Although both my plastic FV's have spigots,& I built my bottling bucket. I made the spigot to mount a hair lower than usual to get all but a couple TBSP of beer out of the BB while bottling.

I purchased a Kit Best Brewers I think , it American Pale Ale , and read the instructions that came with the kit , did not read the instructions that came with the other kit and the glass carboy had the airlock on it so i presumed that was the primary.

Don't sweat it too much, we all have made little mistakes, this isn't a huge deal. I would assume that the carboy you have is a 5 gal as others have said, which means there is very little head space. When the fermentation gets going it will likely be going over the top and clogging your airlock. Run a blow off tube to keep everything up top from getting clogged and you should be good to go!

Probably gonna be okay. Some of my best beers have been mistakes. Check out some basic brewing videos to get a better handle on techniques. For me, I need to see stuff to understand it sometimes.

Back