Juniper Berries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

everfrost

Reaction score
I've done a quick search and found some info here on juniper berries but I still have questions. Here's what I'm looking at. I have a recipe that calls for about 2 oz of juniper branches that are "heavily covered" with berries. Since I don't have access to juniper branches, I was wondering what would be a rough guess as to the quantity of juniper berries alone to use in this recipe. The other question I have is how and when to add them. I've found several sources and recipes with them, but they all seem to have different methods and times of adding them. The recipe I'm using gives no specifics about them. I was hoping to get some personal experiences here to help out with this. Thanks in advance, and if I overlooked a previous topic on this I'm sorry.

Chad

hmm I don't know about the branches to berry ratio. What I am doing currently is making a juniper berry extract using crushed juniper berries and gin. At the time of kegging I am going to add the extract to taste. I would think that if you are unsure as to how much berries you would need making an extract would be the best route that way you can get your flavor of juniper to your liking.

Farmbrewerw, how did your gin adn juice concoction turn out? I just brewed a Sahti and was wondering about adding berries to the primary or something to the beer when I keg it.

Back