Brew Cart Plans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serious_lee

Reaction score
Hey, I'd like to bounce an idea off of the more experienced brewers around here. I have been gathering the materials to go all grain and I think I'm just about there. I want to be able to do gravity feed, so here's my basic idea for a 5 Gallon Rubbermaid-based three tier system. Please take a look and let me know if you see any major problems with my design.

Thanks,
Everett

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p132/everettnewton/beer/brewcartwithshelf.jpg

By orfy

4 Wheels. I built a wood stove with 3 wheels and it can get tippy when moving it.

That's a cool idea. I've been working on a plan for something that I can easily store, and easily take on the road to do brewing demonstrations. This has expanded my brainstorm. Thanks.

Three wheels would work fine, BUT the wheel base (width) on the back would have to be significant to allow for some level of stability. Remember the old Honda three wheelers? The 250R? Those were dangerous machines.

Looks good! Where's the burner go? Have you thought about making the brewpot high enough to gravity feed into yourfermenter after the boil?

Wow, when it rains it pours! Thanks for all the responses!!

In response to the 4 wheel thing... I was trying to figure out a way to make the cart turn easily without making a complicated interface. I also don't have the most level ground in my back yard, so I was hoping that three wheels would level better than 4. Harbor Freight has a good deal on 10" fixed pneumatic tires, but they don't have an equivalent swivel mounted one. I figure that's going to be the cheapest place for me as long as they're running a sale. Maybe I'll just fix some outriggers or some skids that can drop down on the "tippy" side.

The burner will go under the angle iron stand on top. I ordered one of those SQ-14s people seem to love on here. I haven't quite worked out the logistics of the flow yet. I was thinking I'd fill the keg with 10 gal and drain off 5 into the Mash Tun once I reach my dough-in temp, then continue to heat the remaining 5 to mash out temp. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm hoping this will work because I definitely don't feel like lifting 10 gallons of water 4 feet in the air :)

Reaching up to 6' 3" would be into the nose bleed altitude as far as a brewing system I would not want to own and work with. JMO.
My system will be a single tier at the added cost of two pumps yes added cost plus more hose. My bad back will appreciate a single tier.

I did a 3 tier gravity fed using rebar. I made 3 separate stands that linked together. The tallest stand was the widest and the width reduced as you went down. When not brewing the stands nested into each other and I was able to store my kettles and burners in on column...it got me through but as someone mentioned having the wort at the bottom presents an issue especially if you use a CFC. With 5 gal batches it was no problem but doing 10 gallon batches got really heavy as I tried to get the hot wort up to a place where the CFC could work.

All in all not a great system but it has served me well over the years...but...I am about to ditch the whole thing and do a single tier. I really wish I had saved a little extra money early on and just gone with a single tier.

The 3 tiers certainly work but you will want to upgrade at some point.

Other than thinking about how you cool and transfer your wort I think you have a good design.

3 tiers is very high. I always want to be able to see inside, so I settled on a two tier system. This means an expensive pump, but now that I have built it, I am very glad I did. I highly recommend square Steel tubing. At 80 cents to a buck twenty a foot, I built my frame for 90 dollars. I also recommend roller caster wheels that have a locking mechanism, you can find them for 3 or 4 bucks.

I just had the same problem and ended up building a 3 tier single pump brewstand. I had a tight budget and already had the pump, so I went with 2 single wooden stands that cost about 30 bucks to build. I only pump water thru the pump, and only pump once to fill the hlt, move the hose over like 6 inches, and what's left is the MLT strike water. Then it's gravity all the way into the fermenter (I use an IC for chillin'). Very minimal lifting, I can see into the mash tun just fine, and the only thing that will be updated anytime soon is a sight glass on the HLT so I don't have to use a step for filling. Mine turned out the approx dimensions as what you've got on your plan. I do like one of the above posters said, and store everything on the shelves and it stores away in a pretty small footprint. The ferm chamber is a computer data cabinet I got off my work for 25 bones.
You can see it here (to scale):
www.elementalbrewingcompany.com
:mug: Good luck and have fun building whatever you decide!

Thanks for all the input! I have decided to go ahead with pretty much what I had planned, but once I save up some more money I'll probably get a pump and go double or single tier. It is actually very sturdy... probably because it's so friggin' heavy!! I hope it will weigh a little less once the lumber dries out!

Here are some pics of the "final" cart. I have been told it will morph many times though, but that's fine with me :)

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p132/everettnewton/beer/P9050579.jpg

By orfy

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p132/everettnewton/beer/P9050584.jpg

By orfy

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p132/everettnewton/beer/P9050580.jpg

By orfy

I'd check with cold water that having the pot out in front of the wheel full doesn't make it tip when the others are empty. It would kinda suck to find that out with hot wort...

Might also want wheelbarrow or garden-cart type handles for moving it.

The wheelbarrow handle thing is coming. Actually I was thinking more like shopping cart, but something is definitely needed. I also don't plan on moving this once I start brewing. I mainly needed portability from storage and back. I may just stick some bricks under to ensure I won't get worted and feathered :)

Back