When to rack to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waboom!!

Reaction score
I am on day 40 with a batch of mead and It is still fermenting, I started at about 1.125 OG and now is at 1.0. When should I transfer to my secondary? TIA

I think you're still ok, and you're getting real close. Since the yeast is still active, I wouldn't worry about the dreaded autolysis just yet.

What yeast did you use? How close are you to hitting the expected attenuation?

To wager a guess, I'd say maybe 7-10 more days, then go ahead and rack it. enough yeast will be left in suspension to finish fermenting the last couple of points, if your yeast is up to it.

Malcore... this is the recipe you helped me with before. It is bubbling every 10 seconds so yes the yeast is definatley still ready for more. It is up for for the "long haul". I'm seriously considering adding more honey before bottling to avoid a Ultra Dry flavor too. :cross:
5 1/2 gal batch.
13 lbs orange blossom honey
3 lbs Dole canned pineapple+ it's juice (no sugar added)
1 tbsp gypsum
1/2 oz energizer
1/2 oz Nutrient
2 packets yeast (12 grams Lavlin Champaign yeast).
-
Honey + 2 gallons of water was boiled for 15 minutes and the foam was skimmed.
Then the fruit was steeped in a hop bag at 160' for 20 minutes at the end
Topped up to 6 gallons and yeast was re hydrated and pitched at 90'

Dude, the airlock bubbling is NOT a great indicator of fermentation. with mead, you take weekly hydrometer readings starting about week 3. When it stops falling, is close to the expected FG, its ready....regardless of airlock activity.

Back