Froze my Wyeast in the packet by accident!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierzwinski

Reaction score
It is winter and my fridge in the garage froze some of my yeast packs. I don't think this is going to ruin anything, but would like some confirmation from you guys.

They are now thawed. I don't know how long they were frozen.

Does anyone think this might have ruined them? I'm going to make starters with them so I won't ruin a batch of beer.

Thanks for the help.

If the yeast actually froze, it will die. You can try smacking the packs and seeing if they swell, and if they do then make a starter to increase the cell count.

When yeast freeze, the cells rupture when they thaw.

I agree, I had a wyeast pack freeze in shipping from an online HBS. I let it thaw, smacked it and let it sit out for a bit and it never really expanded. I made a 1qt starter to see if it came back to life. It had a little action in it, but never really took off on the fermentation. I was up against a time crunch and didn't trust what appeared to me as a weak starter. I got new yeast, pitched it and threw in the starter for good measure. Been 5 days in the primary now, started bubbling really well in first 24 hours, kicked off nicely.

For me it was better safe than sorry, a 45 min round trip to the LBHS and $6 for a new smackpack.

Back