Mayhaw berry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

18thstatebrew

Reaction score
Check out this mayhaw berry I just racked. The color is very interesting. Has anyone else had this color before when making mayhaw berry wine?

image-2880086734.jpg

Mine has never been that color what recipe did you use. Mine is normally a kittle more red than pink.

I didn't really follow an exact recipe. I had a gallon size freezer bag full of mayhaw berries with some blackberries mixed in, but not much. I put all the berries into a mesh bag then put the bag into a pot with a gallon of water. I brought it to boiling then turned the burner off. I swirled the bag around and used a spoon to crush the berries. I then let it sit until it came down to room temp. After it cooled i poured it into the primary and added some pectin enzyme, tannin, campden tabs, and yeast nutrient. Then I covered it and let sit for a day. I then pitched the yeast and let it sit for two weeks.

Yesterday I racked it into the Carlo Rossi jug. I wasn't expecting it to be so pink and milky looking. It will require a lot of clearing and aging.

Oh yeah, I used about 2 pounds of sugar. I ran out of cane sugar so I had to use a little corn sugar. I don't think that would make a difference though.

Maybe it's the mix with the black berries that gave it the color I. I've never done it that way I crush all my Mayhaws and ferment skin and all.

Yeah I really never heard of anyone boiling the berries,, but I figured it would kill any bacteria on them. I didn't want my wine to get infected.

True I soak mine in hot warm water plus by doing that it kinda takes out the really bad ones. Is this your first time making it?

It's my first time making mayhaw. I have made 2 batches of grape concentrate. I just began home brewing and making wine about 6 months ago. So I'm still new to this and have a lot more learning to do.

Jack Keller website helped me put a lot. He's got any recipe you can think of on there even Mayhaw. I've only been doing it for a little over a year now. I love this hobby lol.

18thstatebrew said:
Yeah it's a great hobby to have. I like brewing beer way more than making wine, but I still enjoy making wine for my wife.

Quick question, what happens if i try to ferment at a temp. Of 63 degrees F?

I'm not too familiar with Fleischmann's but I don't think 63* would do harm. I've had temps into to the 80s at some points (heat waves) without off flavours or ill effects. Maybe someone more experienced with Fleischmann's can chime in with their experiences?

Back