Does Your LHBS.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LongDukDong

Reaction score
Have beer samples of brew kits they sell? I'm in CA and have yet to see anything i can sample but would like to taste a kit before buying. Not only would it be a great bench mark for the homebrewer (assuming your local knew how to brew), but a convenient way to try different styles. I was also wondering if it was a legal issue or not.

With a show of hands, does your LHBS have beer samples?

I dont have a local per say but the 2 shops ive been to did not have samples. :(

No. Depending on where you live. it's probably a big deal for them to get legal approval to do this.

I think that might be pushing the limits of legality in some places. Your best bet is to go out and try a few commercial examples to get a feel for the style.

Nice idea, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I think it'd be bad advertising to let a seasoned brewer brew a sample kit for a possible beginner to brew.

Beers already have pretty detailed descriptions, usually a style (Stout, Porter, American Ale, Dunkel, etc.) and maybe even a sub style (Brown Porter, Robust Porter, Baltic Porter, etc.), plus your kit should include some info on SRM, IBU, ABV, and the ingredients. Plus whatever reviews you can get from others or the internet. So I think a sample would be nice, but not necessary.

My point exactly. More so how "should" this kit smell, taste and look.

I've brewed a couple styles that I've never had a commercial sample to bench mark from and i wonder, did i eFF it up?

So I think a sample would be nice, but not necessary.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones - both of the supply stores I frequent have samples on tap. One has 2 beers and 2 wines in a kegerator - always something they have available as a kit - and the other one has about 8 taps and a nice bar area / tasting room with beers from brewing classes they hold and usually one or two from area micros. Going there tomorrow as a matter of fact.

I've never seen a shop that had samples, at least not of kits they had for sale. I've been to a store that had homebrew on tap for regular customers, but that was kind of on the downlow as I'm sure it wasn't legal. These kits are generally really simple to throw together, I don't see what the need to taste the finish product is.

My point exactly. More so how "should" this kit smell, taste and look.

I've brewed a couple styles that I've never had a commercial sample to bench mark from and i wonder, did i eFF it up?

I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you brought a bottle to them for sampling, they could tell you if you got it right.

One of my local store does but it’s definitely illegal. I would say any business owner with half a brain would not risk it. Giving alcohol to customers without a liquor license and then customers getting in a car and driving seems to me like a big no no. But it definitely keeps me in the store longer!

IMO this could be a bad idea if the LHBS did not get the recipe right. Remember a recipe does not make the beer, the brewer does. You and I could buy the same kit, from the same lot#, take them home, brew them, get together in 2 months for a head to head comparison and they will not be the same thing.

For a style comparison I believe the BJCP has commercial examples of specific styles. I would gather up a few friends or even with a club and try new examples of a style from a commercial brewery vs. someones interpretation of it.

As far as getting free samples...I am totally down for that. I would be leery of making any sort of decision other than good/bad/more...

I bet it's a legal issue too, but as basic as a kit recipe is, are you saying as a seasoned brewer you would turn away a free sample of homebrew?:drunk:

Samples would be helpful to beginner and novice brewers like myself but cant imagine a brewer regardless of experience declining free beer legal/ illegal for that matter. :cross:

I've never seen a shop that had samples, at least not of kits they had for sale. I've been to a store that had homebrew on tap for regular customers, but that was kind of on the downlow as I'm sure it wasn't legal. These kits are generally really simple to throw together, I don't see what the need to taste the finish product is.

I never said I'd turn it down, in fact I tried the sample at the store I went to and enjoyed it. I just don't think it's that useful for the purposes you describe and if I had a store I wouldn't risk losing it by serving alcohol without a license.

Popped into Brew & Grow in Bolingbrook IL today to grab a few things for tomorrows brew. First time in there and was immediately offered samples of both the draft beers while I was waiting. Excellent touch and I will definitely go back.

Have beer samples of brew kits they sell? I'm in CA and have yet to see anything i can sample but would like to taste a kit before buying. Not only would it be a great bench mark for the homebrewer (assuming your local knew how to brew), but a convenient way to try different styles. I was also wondering if it was a legal issue or not.

With a show of hands, does your LHBS have beer samples?

I dont have a local per say but the 2 shops ive been to did not have samples. :(

My LHBS has free beer samples on tap, but it's AG made by their brewer/employee using in-store ingredients. No kits unfortunately.

I have to say though, their beer is fricking amazing.

Back