Beer prevents osteoperosis article

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexdagrate

Reaction score
Link to Article

Not only is beer good for you, but good beer is even better for you.

It's sad how the writer of this article knows so little about beer:

"However, not all beers are the same, with those containing malted barley and hops having higher silicon content than beers made from wheat."

Umm, unless you drink a lot of Sahti or grut, then ALL your beer contains hops.

That's a pretty cool article and a silly quote... but is it just me or are beneficial aspects of beer being discovered in very rapid sequence?

Also, a note to the OP and others who post medical "research": don't trust it unless you've read a peer-reviewed scientific paper published in an accredited journal. And even then, you should probably debunk it anyway. Here's how "medical news" gets to the air:

1) A study is done showing that there is a pattern of significant data that indicates a correlation between a substance "X" and body part "Y"

2) Someone in the journalism biz hears/reads about it without knowing the full details of the story or the due process of publishing science and informs the higher-ups at his news/situation/bulls**t-room what he heard

3) ???

4) Tonight on 'Media Whores Who Read Hear-Say Just to Get Your Ratings': "Consumption of X: How it will kill you by harming Y. Details at 8:00"

5) Profit

I would love to try some of this beer with barley and hops in it. What will they think of next?

My favorite line is the one that refers to "beers made from hops" as if hops are the only ingredient.

This soluble form of silica found in beer could be important for the growth and development of bone and connective tissue, according to the National Institutes of Health.

Does this mean we should give it to our toddlers, so they'll have strong bones? Frankly, I don't want to share it with them.

Back