RE-Carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpilot

Reaction score
Hey yall, question. I bottled my Drowning Wasp Ale a couple weeks back, then left on a trip. My wife placed the bottles in the fridge after a week of conditioning and carbonating in the bottles. Here is the issue, I DONT THINK IT WAS FULLY CARBONATED... it is pretty flat, but at room temp it is "okay"... Here is my question, can I pull the bottles out, let them warm to room temp naturally, rouse the yeast and allow them to finish carbonating? If not, well... I will brew more! Shucks!

Brewpilot

It would probably work, yeah. Putting your bottles in the fridge doesn't kill the yeast... They will still be carbing your beer, albiet very slowly.

I would take them out, turn them over a couple of times to get the yeast back in suspension, then put them in a warm area of the house until they're at the level you want.

I thought that may help, they need about another week out there I think... great beer, just needs a few bubbles! Thanks!

Most of the fermentation in the bottle takes place in the first few days the rest of the waiting is for the CO2 in the headspace to reach equilbrium with the solution (this is the act of actual carbonation). They may just be a bit underprimed, but the warm-shake-rest-rechill won't hurt anything except maybe throw a bit more haze next time it's chilled.

Back