Old Peculiar Ale Label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
Here's my Old Peculiar label. That's Gabby Hayes an old western actor whom always played "Peculiar" characters on screen. Used a nice weathered metal for the background, and kept it simple. Thoughts...

OldPeculiarBeerLabelnoemail.jpg

Schlante,
Phillip

well thanks for the spelling lesson! :)

Makes me feel a bit stupid... considering I know both of those! Oh well:eek:

I obviously pay more attention to the artwork over the spelchekin, eye kan honestly say I wuzn't "interested" in "ensuring" the proper spelin!

Phillip

Is yours a clone of the real brew which already bears this name? or Did you not know there was a beer called Old Peculiar out there already?

Other than the spelling issues, I like the look of it. Who's the old guy in the picture? Looks familiar like I should know him.

Cheers :mug:
Terje

I actually ghosted the guys name on the label below/right of the pic. He's Gabby Hayes, always played an old cantankerous oddball mostly in westerns... one might actually call him "Peculiar". I've always loved the character he played.

Yes the bier is a clone of Old Peculiar. If you're intrested I ordered an extract kit from www.ebrew.com. Added 1lb of oats, 6 oz. molasses, and 2 lbs Maris Otter plus specialty malts in a partial mash. Can't remember the specifics of the specialty grains. I'll try. 1/3 lb Roasted Barley, 1/3 lb Crystal 60, and 1 lb Crystal 120.

Schlante,
Phillip

Clemson 55

I'm a Bama fan, what do ya think about that first game of the season. Either Clemson gets a fairly easy win by 14-20 points or Bama wins a close one. Bama should be either equal or better along both lines of scrimmage. As important as that is, it's close. Bad news is it's not so close in other areas where Clemson outclasses with pure talent. For instance Bama will have the weakest LB core in the whole SEC. I expect Clemson to attack that weakness especially in the passing game, TE's and crossing patterns. But hey Bama has the advantage in the coaching department I just doubt they have the horses to beat a Clemson team that should win the ACC this year. They will if Tommy and Co. can keep from performing the usual mid-late season brain fart!

Well anyway maybe I'm wasting everyone's time... I've been addicted to College FB alot longer than I've been a bier geek! (Yes I'm convinced I'm Addicted to Alabama Football... been a rough few years!)

Schlante,
Phillip

Clemson 55

I'm a Bama fan, what do ya think about that first game of the season. Either Clemson gets a fairly easy win by 14-20 points or Bama wins a close one. Bama should be either equal or better along both lines of scrimmage. As important as that is, it's close. Bad news is it's not so close in other areas where Clemson outclasses with pure talent. For instance Bama will have the weakest LB core in the whole SEC. I expect Clemson to attack that weakness especially in the passing game, TE's and crossing patterns. But hey Bama has the advantage in the coaching department I just doubt they have the horses to beat a Clemson team that should win the ACC this year. They will if Tommy and Co. can keep from performing the usual mid-late season brain fart!

Well anyway maybe I'm wasting everyone's time... I've been addicted to College FB alot longer than I've been a bier geek! (Yes I'm convinced I'm Addicted to Alabama Football... been a rough few years!)

Schlante,
Phillip

:off: :D :off: :D

Much like the great philosophical questions...

To be or not to be?
Which came first, chicken or egg?

I propose....

Is it thread hijacking if you started the thread?

Besides I'm an addict... I can't help it ;)

Phillip

I believe Clemson will win it either way, to much talent all across the field. We have a REALLY good D-line what little Ive read so far says your O-line isnt that good. Our O-line is a big question right now but we have 2 good freshman coming in to help sure that up with some depth. Assuming Harper has a few seconds in the pocket our O will be high power. Top 10 rated players at QB, 2 RB's, 1 WR, and the fastest guy in football you just wont be able to put up enough points if they get going. I'm pretty excited about it to bad I moved to VA and cant make the short trip down. Although that bowl game down there left a sour taste in my mouth anyway. Maybe we should toss a couple brews up for grabs for the winner, I have some Barleywine that will be about 4 months in the bottle then.

I believe Clemson will win it either way, to much talent all across the field. We have a REALLY good D-line what little Ive read so far says your O-line isnt that good. Our O-line is a big question right now but we have 2 good freshman coming in to help sure that up with some depth. Assuming Harper has a few seconds in the pocket our O will be high power. Top 10 rated players at QB, 2 RB's, 1 WR, and the fastest guy in football you just wont be able to put up enough points if they get going. I'm pretty excited about it to bad I moved to VA and cant make the short trip down. Although that bowl game down there left a sour taste in my mouth anyway. Maybe we should toss a couple brews up for grabs for the winner, I have some Barleywine that will be about 4 months in the bottle then.

I see it pretty much as you... but don't EVER NEVER EVER count on freshmen no matter the hype! I've learned that over the years (thank you Mike Dubose). Secondly, as I understand it Clemson's strengths/experience are the skill people on O and rear 7 on D. Where as Bama's strengths are along the line on both sides of the ball. Furthermore Clemson's only real question mark is along the OL with several unproven players. Yep Clemson is deeper and more talented.

Bama's OL has come through a period of the worst play in 50 years (not an exageration) under Shula and OL coach Bob Connelly. But that's changing with the only question at all being RT where the starting player has been moved to LG bolstering more depth to the interior line positions. Saban seems quite pleased with the progress/play at RT, good enough for me! For the record the best most highly rated NFL ready player on either team is Andre Smith, Bama's Left Tackle. Not a slap at anyone on Clemson's team, Spiller or Davis etc., just what I think is a fact.

The most important thing in all of FB is controlling the line of scrimmage, plays to Bama's strengths. If you're like most Clemson fans you've been more than a little frustrated with Tommy Bowden from time to time. (I'm quite suprised he's held his job this long, that program's capable of more than he's achieved.) Thus Bama's got the second most important advantage in college FB... the coaching advantage (which is about the whole staff not just the head guy). Thus Bama's got more than a "puncher's chance" to win. Opening day and bowl games tend to favor the best prepared/better coached team due to the extra time for preparation. All that said... I'm cheering for the Tide! All that is to say those are the reasons Bama has a chance. Clemson will have to earn it and I'm sure Saban and Co. will have a few things up their sleeve. Something to look for, Backs and TE's will have a big year catching the ball for Bama, something that hasn't happened in Tuscaloosa since 1989 (new offense/new coordinator)!

I usually never ever ever bet, kind of fearful of my addictive personality! :fro: In this case I'll make an exception. But since Clemson is favored... you should give me odds! Oh say a 6 pack of your bier vs 3 of mine! :p I will have an Irish Red ready to go for FB season, gonna call it Crimson Ale:)! That would give me some pleasure knowing if I lose you'd still be drinking Crimson Ale complete with the Alabama logo on the side!

Schlante & Roll Tide,
Phillip

Sorry to be long winded... but hey I'm an addict! :fro:

Clemsons depth, experience, and skill is definitely in the skill positions on O and than Dline and secondary. I'd say on D the biggest issue would have to be LB's. Lost 2 of 3 and one of our backups left school (hes had issues since his sis died in a car crash 2 yrs ago) plus another who still has to go to court for a DUI hes fighting. D line is returning 3 starters though and adding the best HS player in the country who I have seen in person and he is an absolute beast looks like a pro player not an 18yo.
I'll give you the most NFL ready player but Clemson can line up 5 or more who have more NFL potential and could easily go higher in the draft. While I dont think Bowden is the best coach ever I will say this, it took his daddy like 12 yrs (maybe longer) to get into big bowls regularly so if he does it this yr then he beat his daddy by 2 yrs so long as he keeps it up. He also has been performing well above his pay until his recent raise he was like 40-45 in coaching salary and we were on the edge of the top 25 each of the last two yrs. He also has a couple good coordinators behind him Rob Spence the O coord is really good.
Everyone has a chance though thats whats awesome about college football. Lets wait and see some odds before I have to double up my brews on the line though, neutral site and all the spread might be fairly small. I also have to ask are you an Alumni or someone in your family? Cause no offense if your not but I have these guys who go nuts but dont have a dog in the fight. Its bad that way in SC cause 1/2 the people couldnt get into any college and they jump on Clemson or USC and go crazy but cant intelligently say why they might win a game. You hear the reason they will win is Steve Spurrier, I got news for them he hasnt laced up the spikes in 30 yrs. Rant Off.

I'll come clean. I used to be obsessed with Alabama FB. As a teenager I actually cried with joy when Bama came from behind scoring 24 points in the last 16 mins to beat Ky one year. Not sobbing mind you, but it speaks to how emotionally involved one can be. I've punched holes in walls... yea I'm kind of crazy that way. It used to ruin several days of my life everytime Bama would lose as a youth. My first Bama FB related memory was the 1982 Liberty Bowl, Paul Bryant's last game as Coach. My parents made me watch because they said it was important, that I'd remember it later in life. (I do.)

What Notre Dame Football once was to Catholics, Alabama Football was to southerners. It was the first bonafiable Southern Football power. First southern team to play in the Rose Bowl, and won as a more than 2 touchdown underdog. That's pertinent because Bama has more "sidewalk alumni" than anyone and it's the reason why. That love of Alabama by non Alabamians continued through the 60's as the country cast a scornful eye toward the south. Southerners rallied behind a Bryant led Tide team that dominated or made believers of all comers. I live in Mississippi, but my family is Bama through and through. Doesn't hurt that my father's from AL, and my mom's side of the family lived there for a while.

I'd suggest that you don't feel too harshly toward those folks that didn't go to school at the school they cheer for. Not everyone can attend thier school of choice, either for economic issues, or maybe they made a career of the military, or other reasons. I for instance had a scholorship offer from Alabama, and visited hated rival Auburn when looking for my college of choice. Wound up going to another school because it was right for me.... doesn't make me any less of a fan.

Thankfully now with a wife and 2 children football has been put into perspective. Now when Bama loses it just ruines the game and maybe an hour afterwards. I follow recruiting but am no more impressed by Alabama's recruiting prowess this year than I am by the dime I found on the ground yesterday.... I'm not a pedophile, 17 year old boys don't get me very excited! :) I'm like a Missouri mule that way, you gotta show me! I now see it for what it is. A sport played by boys and young men, coached by millionaires, and supported at the highest levels by the real millionaires! I get just as much fun out of attending high school games on Friday night as I do from watching college games on Sat. Bama's just special too me. Real special... so yes I'm one of those fans.... just not an obcessed retard! Yes my Saturdays every fall revolve around 1 my kids, 2 the time of the Bama game, 3 SEC FB, and 4 College FB. Yes I'm a fanatic... just not a lunatic!

Roll Tide
Phillip

He'll be OK, the beer made by theakstons is called "Old Peculier"
http://www.theakstons.co.uk/ales/view_detail.php?id=9

I'm well aware of Theakston's bier, and am aware of the difference in the "e" vs "a" spelling. I chose to use the proper "A" spelling, as did the company I bought the original kit from... link here = http://www.ebrew.com/dark_ale/english_old_peculiar.htm :D

Yes the dictionary spells it with an a... but it's a custom name and if theakstons wants to use an e... well that just makes it more "peculiar"! Lay off already, being the spelling police has it's down side, you look real bad when you're wrong! For the record I for one wouldn't doubt that both spellings are correct, depending on the dictionary's age and country of origin!

Phillip

Of course you can call it anything you want, I was just saying clemson was wrong in saying that theres already a beer called old peculiar out there. Why are you taking it as a person attack when I wasn't even quoting you or correcting you?
edit: I was correcting clemson

Of course you can call it anything you want, I was just saying clemson was wrong in saying that theres already a beer called old peculiar out there. Why are you taking it as a person attack when I wasn't even quoting you or correcting you?
edit: I was correcting clemson

Nothing personal, more tounge in cheek! You'd know if it were a personal attack due to all the *#&#@*& language! :mug:

Back