Alpine Spring Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just brewed this. I only had a limited amount of Tettnang so i subed Cascade in the 60 min. I made a lager out of it. The real yeast should be WLP008 (Sam Adams yeast).

Alpine Spring - Premium American Lager
Brewer Shadows69
Date 01/05/2013
Batch Size 5.500 gal Boil Size 6.394 gal
Boil Time 60.000 min Efficiency 90%
OG 1.052 FG 1.014
ABV 5.0% Bitterness 26.7 IBU (Tinseth)
Color 6.8 srm (Morey) Calories (per 12 oz.) 172

Fermentables

Total grain: 8.625 lb

Briess - 2 Row Brewers Malt Grain 7.000 lb Yes No 80% 2.0 srm
Honey Malt Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 80% 25.0 srm
Briess - Carapils Malt Grain 5.000 oz Yes No 73% 1.3 srm
Munich Malt Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 80% 9.0 srm
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 5.000 oz Yes No 74% 60.0 srm

Hops
Tettnang 3.8% 0.500 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 4.6
Tettnang 3.8% 0.500 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 3.0
Cascade 6% 1.000 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 19.1

Yeast
WLP800 - Pilsner Lager Yeast Lager Liquid 2.367 tbsp Primary

I was under the impression this beer is a lager. Maybe their website is wrong though.:p

http://www.samueladams.com/beers/alpine-spring/

The description below is what made me use kolsch yeast for this. Because a kolsch is a pseudo lager yeast, it made sense to me. The fact that the kolsch yeast adds some cloudiness to the beer also made it a fit for when I tried this a year ago. Also, if you read about what a Kellerbier is, it states that it can be top OR bottom fermenting

I really think my original recipe hopped up a little more and dry hopped will be pretty close to the original and I am hoping to get some time to test this out soon.

From the Sam's website:
Alpine Spring features a unique blend of lager attributes: the balanced maltiness and hoppiness of a Helles, the smoothness and slightly higher alcohol of a traditional spring bock, and the unfiltered appearance of a Kellerbier.

I had a couple AS yesterday and decidex it was to be the first brew in my new keggle. I look forward to the final recipe on this post. Thank you all!

The description below is what made me use kolsch yeast for this. Because a kolsch is a pseudo lager yeast, it made sense to me. The fact that the kolsch yeast adds some cloudiness to the beer also made it a fit for when I tried this a year ago. Also, if you read about what a Kellerbier is, it states that it can be top OR bottom fermenting

I really think my original recipe hopped up a little more and dry hopped will be pretty close to the original and I am hoping to get some time to test this out soon.

From the Sam's website:
Alpine Spring features a unique blend of lager attributes: the balanced maltiness and hoppiness of a Helles, the smoothness and slightly higher alcohol of a traditional spring bock, and the unfiltered appearance of a Kellerbier.

Is it the yeast that adds the cloudiness or lack of finings or crashing? I ask, because I lived in Cologne for short time and never had one that wasn't crystal clear. Maybe they're filtered, but I've made a lot of very clean/clear beers without finings.

Is it the yeast that adds the cloudiness or lack of finings or crashing? I ask, because I lived in Cologne for short time and never had one that wasn't crystal clear. Maybe they're filtered, but I've made a lot of very clean/clear beers without finings.

Kolsch yeast's add cloudiness when drank young since the yeast does not flocculate well. If you were to age a kolsch cold, as you do with lagers, it will eventually clear up. I do not know of any yeast that stays cloudy forever, eventually the yeast will fall out of suspension.

Alpine spring is cloudy and that is what I was trying to replicate with the kolsch yeast.

Your right it is a lager. Guess I was thinking of summer ale. I quests the question is , what lager yeast does Sam Adams use? I used wlp800. The website says unfiltered lager yeast

So is this to be fermented with larger yeast or Kolsch? Also will the Tettnang hops provide the lemon flavor profile?

There is a distinct lemon taste as you take a sip. Does anyone know if they are adding lemon zest or something along those lines?

I assume that comes from the hops. Nothing on the website says anything about lemon. I have not had an alpine spring this year yet, but I hope to score some to compare to mine when it is done. Mine is still in the primary so were looking at another 6-8 weeks.

Alpine Spring - Premium American Lager Version 2

Brewer shasows69
Date 01/16/2013

OG 1.058 FG 1.015
ABV 5.6% Bitterness 18.2 IBU (Tinseth)
Color 7.0 srm (Morey) Calories (per 12 oz.) 192

Fermentables

Total grain: 9.625 lb

Briess - 2 Row Brewers Malt Grain 8.000 lb Yes No 80% 2.0 srm
Briess - Carapils Malt Grain 5.000 oz Yes No 73% 1.3 srm
Munich Malt Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 80% 9.0 srm
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 5.000 oz Yes No 74% 60.0 srm

Hops

Name
Tettnang 3.8% 0.500 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 4.4
Tettnang 3.8% 0.500 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 2.8
Tettnang 3.8% 0.950 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 10.9
Tettnang 3.8% 0.500 oz Boil 0.000 s Pellet 0.0 Dry hop last week

Yeast

This as close as I could come up with inline to the website. Dry hopping gives you the bright citrus and spicy hop notes.
Will be brewing this weekend with a 8 week lager.

Shadows69: you brewed this last time with pilsner yeast didn't you? Why not try using kolsch this time to compare?

No I used the same lager yeast wlp800. Only reason I'm using it again because this will be the last lager of the season for me. In 10 weeks it will be to warm to lager as I do it in my basement.

No I used the same lager yeast wlp800. Only reason I'm using it again because this will be the last lager of the season for me. In 10 weeks it will be to warm to lager as I do it in my basement.

What kind of temps are you getting for lagering? And how long are you allowing for the lagering?

48 to 52 degrees in primary for 10 days. Rest at 65 for 24 to 48 hours. Down to 37 to 32 depending on basement temp for 8 weeks. This will be my ninth lager for this year. I'm up one from last year.

I was just thinking it takes a lot longer to dry a lager than an ale. So I'm going to dry hop in week 4 since I do an 8 week plus lager. Others might dry hop right off the bat if only doing it for 4 weeks.

Completed. All number hit. Will see what its like come spring. Also, first batch of alpine spring in lager stage and decided to dry hop for the 8 weeks.

Completed. All number hit. Will see what its like come spring. Also, first batch of alpine spring in lager stage and decided to dry hop for the 8 weeks.

looking forward to seeing how this came out for you when it is finished. This is a recipe that i am really wanting to make and i just got a fermentation chamber where i can lager so i am looking for something to put in it!:D

Here's what i came up with. I modified barhoc's 10 gal. recipe.
Let me know what you think.
5 gallon batch
8lb 8oz German 2 Row pils
8oz Honey Malt
5oz Munich Malt
3oz Cara Pils

1oz Tettnang @ 60 min 4.8%
.5 oz Tettnang @ 30 min 4.8%
.5 oz Tettnang @ 15 min 4.8%

Wyeast Kolsch yeast
6 SRM
30.7 IBU
75% Effencency

Looks good what is your OG ? Color maybe a little light. Theres no way of telling until its brewed. Who knows it may come out better then Alpine Spring.

Keep us posted. One of us should get close to if not better at cloning this. I have two different ones going. Both of these are being lagered. Thinking of doing one with wlp400 yeast. Not sure yet jury is still out on that one.

Keep us posted. One of us should get close to if not better at cloning this. I have two different ones going. Both of these are being lagered. Thinking of doing one with wlp400 yeast. Not sure yet jury is still out on that one.

Everyone, please share back your results, now that I am able to drink Alpine Spring again I think we need to perfect this recipe!

Scored a case!! The side of the case says Wheat lager. I'm not tasting any munich malt. thinking to replace the munich with wheat. I don't think it needs to be dry hopped either. Head retention is low. I came up with the following:
Alpine Spring - Premium American Lager Version 3
Brewer shadows69
Date 02/02/2013

OG 1.053 FG 1.014
ABV 5.1% Bitterness 18.0 IBU (Tinseth)
Color 7.0 srm (Morey) Calories (per 12 oz.) 175

Fermentables
Total grain: 8.709 lb

Briess - 2 Row Brewers Malt Grain 7.500 lb Yes No 80% 2.0 srm
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 6.350 oz Yes No 74% 60.0 srm
Briess - Wheat Malt, White Grain 5.000 oz Yes No 86% 2.6 srm

Hops
Tettnang 4.8% 0.250 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 2.9
Tettnang 4.8% 0.500 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 3.8
Tettnang 4.8% 0.750 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 11.4

Yeast
Lagering for me is over however i'm going to run a WLP051 version. This is a cream ale mix with lager.

Brewing this on saturday:

[size=+2]Recipe: Alpine Spring[/size]
Brewer: Seatown Brewing
Asst Brewer:
Style: Kölsch
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30,0)

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size: 18,93 l
Boil Size: 24,97 l
Estimated OG: 1,050 SG
Estimated Color: 8,9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 26,9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72,00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
Code:
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
3,00 kg               Pilsner (Weyermann) (3,3 EBC)            Grain         1        71,4 %        
0,50 kg               Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5,9 EBC)         Grain         2        11,9 %        
0,20 kg               Munich I (Weyermann) (14,0 EBC)          Grain         3        4,8 %         
0,15 kg               Viking Carapale (8,0 EBC)                Grain         4        3,6 %         
0,15 kg               Wheat, Torrified (3,3 EBC)               Grain         5        3,6 %         
0,10 kg               Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3,9 EBC)             Grain         6        2,4 %         
0,10 kg               Viking Melanoidmalt (70,0 EBC)           Grain         7        2,4 %         
10,00 g               Hallertauer Tradition [5,90 %] - First W Hop           8        8,2 IBUs      
10,00 g               Hallertauer Tradition [5,90 %] - Boil 60 Hop           9        7,0 IBUs      
10,00 g               Hallertauer Tradition [5,90 %] - Boil 25 Hop           10       4,8 IBUs      
15,00 g               Hallertauer Tradition [5,90 %] - Boil 15 Hop           11       5,2 IBUs      
15,00 g               Tettnang [4,50 %] - Boil 5,0 min         Hop           12       1,7 IBUs      
1,0 pkg               Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565) [124,21 Yeast         13       -             
30,00 g               Hallertauer Tradition [5,90 %] - Dry Hop Hop           14       0,0 IBUs      
10,00 g               Tettnang [4,50 %] - Dry Hop 7,0 Days     Hop           15       0,0 IBUs

Probably going to brew this one next week. I don't have a cold enough place to use lager yeast, so should I go with the kolsch yeast or some San Francisco lager yeast?

Probably going to brew this one next week. I don't have a cold enough place to use lager yeast, so should I go with the kolsch yeast or some San Francisco lager yeast?

SFL and use a swamp cooler with fan days 2-7.

Will have results on Saturday. I intend to dry hop with tettnanger, will probably aim to go with around 50 g in 19 liters.

Not me, I decided to brew an Irish red today instead. I'm still interested to find out some results!

Here's a teaser of Alpine spring version 2.0 lagered. Not on CO2 yet. Started on 1-22-13. Sorry got stuck doing house remodeling. More pics to come when it's on CO2!

WP_20130410_004[1].jpg

shadows69 said:
Here's a teaser of Alpine spring version 2.0 lagered. Not on CO2 yet. Started on 1-22-13. Sorry got stuck doing house remodeling. More pics to come when it's on CO2!

Looks great, I might do a quick extract version for summer

Back