Keg exchange or purchase?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weezknight

Reaction score
Local Homebrew store is starting a keg exchange program. Basically they take your finished kegs, send them out to get cleaned and get new rings, etc. You then take one of the fresh, new ones, home to use. Basically all you have to do is put a deposit down on them.

Anyone think this is a good route to take, or is it just better to buy?

buy. they're simple to clean, and you don"t need to replace the o-rings often. i did mine in 2009 and they're all still working fine

I would probably be interested in this as long as they took my cornies that were used for primary fermenting. Man those are a pain to get clean.

I think it would depend on the cost. Even at $50 per keg they will last basically forever. So if you are 30 and expect to brew until you are 80 that is 50 years. $50/50 years = $1.00/year add o-rings every couple of years and you are still only talking a few dollars per year.

So where is the $ for the LHBS?

Call me OCD, but I don't trust anyone else's cleaning/sanitation procedures. I want complete control of that because it's my beer that will suffer if they cut corners.

I would definitely buy.

Call me OCD, but I don't trust anyone else's cleaning/sanitation procedures. I want complete control of that because it's my beer that will suffer if they cut corners.

I would definitely buy.

+1 on all counts - including the OCD part, which pretty much dictates the rest...

Cheers!

Back