mashing in cold weather

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
Im getting ready to brew this weekend (my 1st brewday in months) and it looks like it will be in the 30s with some rain :mad:

Im trying to work out my mash schedule, here is the plan.

heat strike water to 164 to
rest at 148 for 15 min
raise to mash slowly (direct fire) to 155
hold it for 45 min then heat to mash out 170
batch sparge at 170.

I was thinking about brewing two beers on brew day but Im really not looking forward to the rain

Interesting step mash. Iv heard that mashing closer to 155 favors unfermentable sugars to add body. Mashing under 150 favors a dryer beer and more ferment able sugars. Iv never heard of combining both. What does it do for the beer?

I would like to try step mashing or decoction mashing using under modified malts. I here that method really brings out a strong malt taste.

I mash with a cooler inside the house. I boil out side so the cold doesn't affect me.

Good luck with your two brews.

Interesting step mash. Iv heard that mashing closer to 155 favors unfermentable sugars to add body. Mashing under 150 favors a dryer beer and more ferment able sugars. Iv never heard of combining both. What does it do for the beer?

I would like to try step mashing or decoction mashing using under modified malts. I here that method really brings out a strong malt taste.

I mash with a cooler inside the house. I boil out side so the cold doesn't affect me.

Good luck with your two brews.

Listen to the Jan 29, 2009 Basic Brewing Radio podcast on German Brewing techniques. The guest, Kai Troester, talks on this very subject. Also search youtube for The Kaiser's video step by step on decoction mashing. Both very good references

I'm trying something similar this Sunday.

This will be a light amber ale, mostly grain, with a little cornstarch added to the mash.

125* for 15 minutes.
145* for 30 minutes.
155* for 30 minutes.

Mash out at 170*
Two sparges, each at 170*

I'll be using my heatstick to do the temperature increases.

(Oh, and it will be 65* and sunny here)

I'm trying something similar this Sunday.

This will be a light amber ale, mostly grain, with a little cornstarch added to the mash.

125* for 15 minutes.
145* for 30 minutes.
155* for 30 minutes.

Mash out at 170*
Two sparges, each at 170*

I'll be using my heat-stick to do the temperature increases.

(Oh, and it will be 65* and sunny here)

Whats a heat stick, it sounds interesting?

Ya and its about 20 here in Newport which is on the ocean. Its a wet cold so it goes right through ya.

sure coulda used a heat stick tonight... I didn't account for the cold ass ice chest I put my mash water into and needed to add nearly a gallon of boiling water to hit 151... damn sparge water is already down 10 deg.. lucky I accidentally overheated my sparge water... now just waiting to get to sparging in 15 mins. :) wish I could do this every weekend

Back