I'm looking for a Great divide "St. Bridget’s Porter" Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rad-Rabbit

Reaction score
I'm Looking for a Great divide "St. Bridget’s Porter" Clone recipe.
It's one of the best porters that I have had in any recent memory. If you come across this at you local 6 pack shop try one, there great..

BTW- Thanks in advance :)

From the site:
Accolades and other buzz on St. Bridget’s Porter:

* Silver Medal, Stockholm Beer & Whisky Festival, 2007 -- Porter/Stout
* Gold Medal, World Beer Cup, 1996 – Robust Porter
* Best Porter, Westword Magazine, Best of Denver, 1995, 1996, 1997
* World-renowned beer expert Michael Jackson declared St. Bridget’s one of the world’s best porters in his book on world beer, Ultimate Beer.
* Charlie Papazian, the forefather of American homebrewing, praised St. Bridget’s Porter in The Malt Advocate, “Floral hop aroma and flavor embrace sweet cocoa malt character to create a dark porter ale that beckons with every sip. My tongue is dancing and my mind is prancing. This is porter!”
* Kyle Wagner, then-food critic for Westword Magazine, declared in a Best of Denver review, “we’d move heaven and earth ourselves to get a glass . . . or two!”

No recipe here either, but St Bridgett's is easily one of my favorite American porters. I'll stay tuned in case a recipe surfaces. Also, next time I run for beer, I will get another 6-pk, and do a detailed tasting so we can try to get close on a recipe.
Cheers!

(BTW: Did not know you could get Great Divide's stuff out east! Interesting!)

St. Bridget’s is a smooth and elegant brown porter. Brimming with coffee and chocolate characteristics from dark barley malts, St. Bridget’s is carefully hopped to provide the perfect complement to its malty robustness. This beer is a “must have” beer for all porter lovers.
Prepare yourself for a religious experience.
Alcohol by volume: 5.9%

Hehe. Hey. I had one more in the fridge still. Fancy freakin' that.

A: Trace of british hops. Slight molasses. Slight brown sugar. Beyond that, it's ... hard to describe. If astringency had an aroma this would be it. Hints of dark fruit / plum are mingling here. Also a tiny hint of licorice.
A: Poured with a solid 1" head that diminished to a 1/8" layer. Brown ... light brown in narrow glass, dark opaque brown in a larger glass.
F: You know, I think this might be the tiniest bit skunked. It's about a month old... but it was the closest bottle to the lightbulb in the beer fridge. But mostly, it's chocolate malt, I taste what seems to be some Carafa or some Brown/Coffee malt... maybe a touch of Roasted Barley to add some astringency, but I'm not positive on that. This is a good candidate for Nottingham yeast choice... but if I were to do it over, I'd go Burton Ale to soften the dark fruits, and bring more apple/honey/pear into it. Overall... I'd call it chocolate/biscuit/bread tastes forward, with a ribbon of the astringent/roasty and a ribbon of the licorice/dark fruit both swirled through it.
M: A bit thin when you first swallow it, a bit thick in the aftertaste. Probably some flaked barley in here for the mouthfeel.

Thank you for your notes. I'm just in love with this porter so I'm going to keep reviving this post until someone can get us closer to a home brew recipe.
Come on, lets figure it out.

This is a really great porter! For me it ranks right up there with The Poet and Barney Flats. I'd love to see a recipe too.

Back