Wort chiller is oxidized green. clean it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telebrewer

Reaction score
I just picked up a wort chiller and it hasn't been used in a while and has some green oxidation on it. What would be the best way to clean it so it won't affect the taste of my beer? Thanks...

That green discoloration on your copper is a little bit worse than the typical light oxidation. Here is what John Palmer says:

"You should be aware that copper can develop a toxic blue-green oxide called verdigris. Verdigris includes several chemical compounds--cupric acetate, copper sulfate, cupric chloride, etc.--and these blue-green compounds should not be allowed to contaminate your beer or any other food item. To clean heavy oxidation, including verdigris, use vinegar or oxalic acid-based cleansers like Reverware Copper and Stainless cleaner."

So vinegar is still fine, but don't dilute it down much and make sure to get all those green oxides off your chiller before you use it.

About a cup of vineger and a gallon of water and I was able to take it off in 10 minutes. StarSan soak for about 5 and a water rinse.

Back