Belgian Pale Ale - First Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMohan13

Reaction score
I'm planning to do my first partial mash (a very simple stovetop one) and was looking for some opinions on my recipe just to make sure it's balanced and so forth since i've never done a PM. It's for a Belgian Pale Ale, so I'm looking for something fairly balanced, but being a little more biscuity and dry than sweet. This is for a 3.5 gallon batch.

1.5 lbs Pilsen Malt Extract
2 lbs Pilsner Malt
1 lb Munich
0.5 lbs Vienna
0.5 lbs Belgian Biscuit
Kent Goldings at 60 min.
Kent Goldings at 15 min.

Not sure about the yeast yet, might wait until September when White Labs releases the Antwerp yeast. What I'm more concerned about is the proportion of those grains since this is my first partial mash... thanks!

This is a very balance beer, however I think that sounds like alot of biscuit malt for a 3.5lb batch. Ill take someone else opinion on this, as I have never used biscuit before.

that looks like an interesting recipe to me. I've tried using 1/2 pounds of biscuit in a 5 gal recipe, and I found that recipe to be a bit too malty IMO. but I don't know if it was the biscuit or all the other specialty grains I had in there also. I think I had some crystal 60, some vienna, and some munich also. I had something like 3 lbs of steeping grains (it was extract w/ specialty grains, not PM)

please post your impression of this once it's bottled. I've been trying to make a crisp, dry belgian amber ale (or basically a fat tire clone) for a while now, and I haven't quite hit the recipe yet.

and, if you can still find any of the wyeast fat tire ale yeast, try it with this recipe, I think it would work very well.

I think that might be a bit much on the biscuit front as well now that i think of it. I do want it to have a good balanced malty flavor, but not overboard, plus I should be getting a decent amount of maltiness from the munich and vienna. I'm thinking maybe:

1 lb pilsen DME
3 lbs pilsner
1 lb munich
.75 lbs vienna
.33 lbs biscuit

The starting point for this was Jamil's recipe in Brewing Classic Styles, he uses caramunich and biscuit with a 3:1 ratio (.75 lbs caramunich to .25 lbs biscuit). I figured since I'm actually going to be able to properly use the munich and vienna to go with those, and slightly up the proportion of biscuit. I guess we'll see how it turns out!

Latest posts

Back