American Pale Ale Sunshine Rye Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my next run at this beer. 2.5 gallon batch.
My estimated efficiency was too high, so OG ended up 1.043. I subbed red wheat cause that's what I had.
I used Denny's Favorite 50 yeast.
I subbed in southern hemisphere hops, because I had them and needed to use them. Bittered with Topaz, with Kohatu and Galaxy at flame out and dry hop.
Very tasty! The hops play well together along with your fabulous base beer.
This recipe has earned a spot in the rotation as a 5 gallon batch(high praise, indeed! )
Love the orange color of this beer!

sunshine rye.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to try out a similar version of this recipe this weekend. I'm shooting for a slightly lower abv, but I plan on eliminating the crystal malt, and switching out some of the rye for flaked rye. Also, I'm going to add more hop when I get down to around 180 and whirlpool for 20 minutes. I'm going for a straw colored beer that is exploding in galaxy aroma. + I love rye. I'll let you know how it turns out

Sounds good keep us posted!

Here's my next run at this beer. 2.5 gallon batch.
My estimated efficiency was too high, so OG ended up 1.043. I subbed red wheat cause that's what I had.
I used Denny's Favorite 50 yeast.
I subbed in southern hemisphere hops, because I had them and needed to use them. Bittered with Topaz, with Kohatu and Galaxy at flame out and dry hop.
Very tasty! The hops play well together along with your fabulous base beer.
This recipe has earned a spot in the rotation as a 5 gallon batch(high praise, indeed! )
Love the orange color of this beer!

Nice!!! looking good for sure! Yeah I am a big fan of the orange color as well not to mention the flavor, this is fast becoming one of my favorite recipes, I am considering doing a couple variations keeping the grain bill and the bittering hops the same, but trying out some different hops for the hopstand. I think Citra would do well here, also considering maybe some Falconers Flight.

I have a batch of the Sunshine that is just finishing bottle conditioning right now I plan to take and enter in the Tulsa Fair in a couple of weeks, very interested to see how it does! I wish it wasn't going to be 4 weeks in the bottle at judging time, but I didn't have time to make a fresher batch prior to the competition. I have it in the American Ale Category, which sounds right to me, but this beer does have some significant rye character so maybe I should have put it in the specialty category IDK I guess I will find out! :mug:

Well I finally got my score sheet back from the Tulsa fair, as I suspected I should have put it in the specialty ale catagory, I got dinged because the rye was out of style for an American PA, however I still managed to score a 35 and win 2nd place, so there is that! Most of what I got counted off on was the rye...

Some comments were

"Very enjoyable to drink, great hops, moderate bitterness. Fairly well balanced."

"Very nice dominant hop aroma- citrus, low malt aroma."

"Balance to the full hop flavor, which continues to the dry finish."

"Very tasty beer."

View attachment 1445434869182.jpg

I've been looking for a Rye Pale Ale recipe for a while and came across this one. I just ordered the ingredients today to do a slightly modified version.

• 5# Pale Malt
  • 2# Rye Malt
  • 0.75# Crystal 60
  • 0.5# Pale Wheat
  • 0.5# Vienna
    - Mash @ 153°F for 60 min

• 0.5 oz Magnum @60
  • 0.75 oz Columbus @Flame Out - 20 Minute Hopstand
  • 0.75 oz Cascade @Flame Out - 20 Minute Hopstand
  • 2 oz Citra - Dry Hop for 7 Days after Primary Fermentation

Safale US-05 @ 63° for 14 days
I'm looking forward to drinking this in the summer months out on our patio after a long day of work. Any opinion on letting it sit at room temp to condition for longer periods vs tossing it all into the fridge once the desired carbonation level has been achieved?

I've been looking for a Rye Pale Ale recipe for a while and came across this one. I just ordered the ingredients today to do a slightly modified version.

• 5# Pale Malt
  • 2# Rye Malt
  • 0.75# Crystal 60
  • 0.5# Pale Wheat
  • 0.5# Vienna
    - Mash @ 153°F for 60 min

• 0.5 oz Magnum @60
  • 0.75 oz Columbus @Flame Out - 20 Minute Hopstand
  • 0.75 oz Cascade @Flame Out - 20 Minute Hopstand
  • 2 oz Citra - Dry Hop for 7 Days after Primary Fermentation

Safale US-05 @ 63° for 14 days
I'm looking forward to drinking this in the summer months out on our patio after a long day of work. Any opinion on letting it sit at room temp to condition for longer periods vs tossing it all into the fridge once the desired carbonation level has been achieved?

I like to get all my hoppy beers into the fridge as soon as possible to hold on to freshness. Hops fade fast I usually notice them fading in this beer as I am finishing the batch.

Good luck! Hope you enjoy your beer, let us know how it turns out! I'll be brewing up a batch of this before too long myself..:mug:

Brewed a version of this Saturday morning. All out of magnum, bittered with some Amarillo. Out of Vienna, so I subbed with Munich. 1 oz of Galaxy @ flameout with 2 oz hopstand while whirlpooling from 170*-160* than quick chill.

Pitched a fresh slurry of S-04. Polished off my Galaxy hops - either going to order some more or dry hop with Centennial or Centennial/Cascade?

Just brewed my updated version (above) and racked it into the fermentor about an hour ago.

I forgot to pick up a fresh pack S-05 the last time I was at the LHBS and ended up pitching a slurry of S-05/BRY-97. The slurry mix has worked out for me in the past, so I've got my fingers crossed that it works for this batch as well.

I'll post pictures once it's ready.

Thanks.

Rack this in the keg 3 days ago. Loving it. Tasting a good amount of grapefruit. Not bitter. Should be a hit for the party next week. Thank for the recipe.

Just finished brewing a batch of this yesterday! Hadn't brewed since January, felt great to get back in the game with a recipe I love...

Forgot to take any pics... perhaps I will when I keg it... Can't wait!

Love that everyone is enjoying this recipe so much!

Cheers

Here's a pic of my version (recipe in thread above).

I'm very happy with this one. Thanks to Mykl428 for such a great recipe!

I'll be brewing again, but plan on using 100% Citra for the FO additions and Dry Hop, with Magnum for bittering, and will be following Mykl428's quantities.

Thanks!

Wrty.jpg

Here's a pic of my version (recipe in thread above).

I'm very happy with this one. Thanks to Mykl428 for such a great recipe!

I'll be brewing again, but plan on using 100% Citra for the FO additions and Dry Hop, with Magnum for bittering, and will be following Mykl428's quantities.

Thanks!

Looks great! I have been meaning to brew this with citra, should be good! keep us posted

I just dry hopped a batch of this last night I'm getting excited :ban:

I brewed up a batch of this last weekend, as it has been a few months since the last batch, which is too long to go without this beer!
I used Citra for the flameout hops on this batch, and I'm trying to decide what to throw in for the dryhop.
I've got Citra, Galaxy, Mosaic, Chinook, Columbus, Centennial, Amarillo, Apollo, Simcoe, Equinox, Eureka, Zythos
Someone help me decide!

I brewed up a batch of this last weekend, as it has been a few months since the last batch, which is too long to go without this beer!
I used Citra for the flameout hops on this batch, and I'm trying to decide what to throw in for the dryhop.
I've got Citra, Galaxy, Mosaic, Chinook, Columbus, Centennial, Amarillo, Apollo, Simcoe, Equinox, Eureka, Zythos
Someone help me decide!

MMMmmmmm I love Galaxy of course, but I also love the combo of Citra and Amarillo.... That's my vote:mug:

MMMmmmmm I love Galaxy of course, but I also love the combo of Citra and Amarillo.... That's my vote:mug:

Too late! I threw in an ounce of Citra and an ounce of Galaxy last night!
Thanks for the input, though. I might try that combo next time.

The 2 closest homebrew shops to me don't have Galaxy. I may be able to check the other shops, but they're a bit of a drive.

I have Citra hops, but I just kegged a Citra/Mosaic DIPA so I don't want to have 2 Citra beers on.

What hops have others tried with this beer that worked well? I was thinking maybe Simcoe/Amarillo?

What hops have others tried with this beer that worked well? I was thinking maybe Simcoe/Amarillo?

I used Columbus, Cascade and Citra in mine and I was pretty happy with it.

I think Simcoe and Amarillo could do well together. One thing that I would consider is looking at the AAs for each bag of hops, and adjust accordingly so that you've got roughly the same IBUs coming from the late additions of Simcoe and Amarillo. I've had Amarillo that was pretty low, and while it's a late addition, Simcoe could overpower it.

For the dry hop, I would toss in 1 ounce each.

I decided to go with Cascade/Amarillo/Simcoe. I'm replacing each 2 oz Galaxy addition with a 3 oz addition of that combo.

I don't think IBUs will be an issue since they're whirlpool/dry hop only. The original recipe gets no IBUs from Galaxy.

I'll be re-brewing my modded version in a few weeks and want to use up some of the hops that I have on hand.

I have 2oz each of Centennial, Citra, El Dorado, Mosaic, and Nugget, and would appreciate your recommendations. I will be using 30ml Hopshot Extract for bittering.

Recipe

5 Gallons
OG Est 1.051
FG Est 1.013
50 IBUs (estimate)

● 6lb 2 Row
● 2lb Rye Malt
● 0.75lb Crystal 60l
● 0.50lb Munich Light
● 0.50lb Pale Wheat
Mash @ 154° F

● 30ml Hopshot @ 60 (30 IBUs)
● 2oz (insert hops here) @ Flameout Out - 20 minute steep before chilling
● 2oz (insert hops here) @ Dryhop - 5 Days

WLP007 Slurry - 10 Days at 64°

Any recommendations/feedback are appreciated.

Thanks!

I'll be re-brewing my modded version in a few weeks and want to use up some of the hops that I have on hand.

I have 2oz each of Centennial, Citra, El Dorado, Mosaic, and Nugget, and would appreciate your recommendations. I will be using 30ml Hopshot Extract for bittering.

Recipe

5 Gallons
OG Est 1.051
FG Est 1.013
50 IBUs (estimate)

● 6lb 2 Row
● 2lb Rye Malt
● 0.75lb Crystal 60l
● 0.50lb Munich Light
● 0.50lb Pale Wheat
Mash @ 154° F

● 30ml Hopshot @ 60 (30 IBUs)
● 2oz (insert hops here) @ Flameout Out - 20 minute steep before chilling
● 2oz (insert hops here) @ Dryhop - 5 Days

WLP007 Slurry - 10 Days at 64°

Any recommendations/feedback are appreciated.

Thanks!

I think Citra & Centennial combo for both hop stand and dry hop, but I also like Mosaic a lot

I just stumbled across this recipe and considering brewing it this weekend and using Mosaic at flameout and dry hopping. Anyone brew this recipe similarly?

This looks like a great recipe. Only critique is I feel like there's a missed opportunity to call this Ryes-n-shine American Pale Ale instead of Sunshine. I never miss an opportunity for a dad joke/pun name.

I just stumbled across this recipe and considering brewing it this weekend and using Mosaic at flameout and dry hopping. Anyone brew this recipe similarly?

I have used many different hops in this recipe, Galaxy has been my favorite, but I think Mosaic would work great here! It's one of my favorites, and I plan to brew this with Mosaic in the future.

Haven't tried it myself, but I say brew it and let us know what you think.
Cheers :mug:

Brewed something like this last Sunday. After a week fermenting it's looking nice.

6 lbs Pale Malt
2.5 lbs Rye
14 oz Crystal 60
9 oz Vienna
9 oz white wheat

.5 oz Magnum 60 minutes
3 oz Mosaic @ flameout
3 oz Mosaic to be added dry hopping at some point this week.

OG 1.058
IBU measured in Beersmith @ 56.6
ABV 5.9%

51581079531__2CF14484-32B3-4E80-89EC-126AD106CF7E.jpg

Anyone happen to try this with a Saison yeast? I've got all the grains and hops ready to re-brew this, but have really been digging Saisons lately, and have 3 satchels of Belle Saison in my fridge.

The only change that I would make is to omit the Crystal and replace it with some sugar.

Thoughts?

I'm sure it's some sort of forum faux pas to post a reply after your reply that no one replied to (say that 5 times fast), but here goes:

After reading a whole lot about yeasts lately, I picked up some White Labs WLP644, Saccharomyces "Bruxellensis" Trois, today and cannot wait to use it on my version of Sunshine Rye Pale Ale. Does anyone have any experience with this yeast?

From what I have read it will give some nice mango and pineapple characteristics, which should play nice with the Centennial and Citra that I have, plus the ferm temps range is 75° to 85°F, which means I don't have to worry about temp control. Score!

I'm sure it's some sort of forum faux pas to post a reply after your reply that no one replied to (say that 5 times fast), but here goes:

After reading a whole lot about yeasts lately, I picked up some White Labs WLP644, Saccharomyces "Bruxellensis" Trois, today and cannot wait to use it on my version of Sunshine Rye Pale Ale. Does anyone have any experience with this yeast?

From what I have read it will give some nice mango and pineapple characteristics, which should play nice with the Centennial and Citra that I have, plus the ferm temps range is 75° to 85°F, which means I don't have to worry about temp control. Score!

Never used it but I'm definitely intrigued... please report back!

I know it has been a long while since anyone has posted anything for this but was wondering if anyone has done anything with it lately? I I had a citra the pale recently and it was awesome so now looking to brew a the myself. Was thinking of all centennial for flavor/aroma. Any thoughts on this?

Back