Whiskey Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcLight

Reaction score
Some kits for Whiskey Beer (Bourbon Barrel Porter, etc) mention using 16 ounces of whiskey (let the cube ssit in that for 2 days - 2 weeks).
Some have said that's too much. Others have said that use the oak cubes, but you can pour the whiskey directly into the beer, no need to soak the oak cubes.

My question - for those who have used whiskey in their beer is:
How much whiskey do you use for 5 gallons/19 liters?

I will soak two ounces oak cubes in them for a week or so before adding them to the fermentor (after fermentation is mostly done, other than clean up)
Is 16 ounces too much?
12 ounces? 10? 8?

Two ounces soaked oak chips for 3 weeks in the secondary worked pretty well for me. Turned out a stout with a nice little bit of whiskey barrel finish.. Cheers! :mug:

I used the full 16 oz and I used Jack Daniels in it. Some people who tried it weren't big fans of Jack and thought it was a little too much. I thought it was perfect. If you like the whisky, I say use the 16 oz.

Funny, I just finished posting about my whiskey barrel aged beer in my blog:

Whiskey Barrel Aged Scottish-Style Ale

I know it doesnt answer your question, but used whiskey barrels are great to use, and they are an excellent addition to home brewing supplies and a good conversation piece!

But as far as oak chips, I agree with above that soaking them in whiskey for a couple weeks, then putting them in secondary for a couple weeks more (or to taste) sounds good.

just dont forget to check to see if the taste is what you like, because too muck oak takes a long time to mellow with age!

Two ounces soaked oak chips for 3 weeks in the secondary worked pretty well for me. Turned out a stout with a nice little bit of whiskey barrel finish.. Cheers! :mug:

2 ounces of oak cubes, but how much whiskey?
Surely more than 2 ounces?

This is what's worked for me. Buy a 750mL of whatever whiskey you prefer (I like bourbon or rye), then drink half the bottle. Steam your oak chips (or cubes in you case) to maximize absorbency. After that let them soak in the whiskey for 2 to 3 weeks depending on taste. The amount of whiskey you soak the chips in doesn't matter quite as much as how long you let them soak. Chips also have more surface area than cubes but lack the deeper oak character, so if you want less whiskey and more oak stick with cubes and vice versa. Cheers!

I bought bottle of Woodford Reserve (yum) and too a very small mason jar. I dumped the oak cubes in and poured in bourbon till they were covered. They have been in there for 2 weeks, and I am going to give it another 2-3 before I switch them into the secondary fermentor. using oak adds a diff flavor than just straight bourbon, It is supposed to recreate the aging of the beer in an oak barrel. Unique flavoring. If you just pour the bourbon straight it, I would think it would taste different.

I was told you could put JUST the cubes in for a softer bourbon flavoring, or the whole mixture if you want it to have a bit more kick. I know I will be pouring the whole thing in. That being said. 16 oz seems alot to me. I think I am just using like 6-7 oz. maybe 8.

I would soak the chips in the least amount of booze it takes to keep them submerged. Put vessel in freezer 12 hours, put vessel on counter 12 hours repeat until nothing floats. (This simulates how whiskey is aged in barrels.) After they all sink, about 1-2 weeks or you get bored/impatient, strain off the whiskey and add the chips into secondary. Let sit for 24 hours, take a sample, repeat until the flavor is right where YOU want it, then leave it 12 more hours. If the whiskey is not strong enough but the oak is as described, then add 1oz of normal whiskey to the beer until it tastes how YOU like it. Do NOT over whiskey, oak fades whiskey not so much.

Remember that whiskey you strained off? Try a shot. If you like it save for shots. Alternately some can be added to your favorite BBQ sauce or used in baked fish with butter, lemon and onion.

Asking how much of an ingredient to use is subjective because if someone says "2oz" that may not be enough for you or if someone says "750ml" that may be to much for YOUR liking. My way allows it to be perfect for YOUR palate! (and really that is the only one you need to worry about.)

GL

I used the full 16 oz and I used Jack Daniels in it. Some people who tried it weren't big fans of Jack and thought it was a little too much. I thought it was perfect. If you like the whisky, I say use the 16 oz.

I guess this goes to show you the differences in taste. I recently used about 10 oz (estimation) of JD in a batch and I thought it was a little overwhelming. Maybe 10 oz and 16 oz into 5g is splitting hairs.

>>I guess this goes to show you the differences in taste. I recently used about 10 oz (estimation) of JD in a batch and I thought it was a little overwhelming. Maybe 10 oz and 16 oz into 5g is splitting hairs.

I did a small experiment. I took a stout I had brewed and added 1 tea spoon of Makers Mark Bourbon to 10 ounces of stout.
It had a subtle flavor (my wife didn't really taste it, I noticed it, but it was not powerful).
That scales up to around 10+ ounces for 5 gallons.

I realize this is a very rough test, as the Bourbon may taste different after interacting with the oak cubes for a couple of weeks, and sitting in the fermenter for another month. Plus it may mellow with 2+ months of bottle conditioning.

I think I will try 10+ ounces, since I don't want an overpowering Bourbon taste. If all goes well, and I brew it again, I can always up that to 16 ounces (thats around a 50% increase).

Back