How many cooks should a LP tank last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naptown

Reaction score
I'm using a turkey fryer (unsure of BTUs) to cook 5 gallon boils. I'm just doing extract kits right now. I steep my grains inside on the stove, and then do the full boil outside. Both "kits" I have done require a 60 minute boil (+ the time it takes to get there).

How many batches can I expect to get out of a standard LP tank? Maybe I should I ask the approximate total hours you could expect out of a LP tank.

Any input would be helpful.

I usually get 4-5. I'd suggest getting a second tank instead of running the risk of going dry mid-session.

I started with a full tank yesterday and it just seemed like it ended up a LOT lighter than when I started. Yes, I have a backup in place. :)

Depends on your setup and temps, but I get 7-8 batches out of my tank. When first starting, I weighed my tank pre-boil and post boil (however I used it to heat the water up for steeping). I averaged 2.2 lbs of propane per boil. My tank weighs approx 35 lbs full and 17 lbs empty

Back