bayou classic 36 quart kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swackattack

Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYUA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

This is the item I purchased, price seemed fair. Seems to look good so far. Bought this to take my brewing up a notch to full boils (extract).

Figured this wouldnt be a bad entry level larger kettle, however I am now seeing that many say it scroches easily and is poorly made?

I really don't mind it not having a spigot (I dont mind lifting it) and the thermometer doesnt really matter either as I have a good one.

Anybody have any recomendations, should I keep or or return it.

I've contemplated purchasing this http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/42-qt-economy-graduated-brew-pot-w-stainless-ball-valve/

Or should I save up for a while and just get the blichmann 10 gallon?

Everytime I think I got it figured out, more and more questions! haha

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the 62qt and am very happy with it. Are there nicer pots out there? Sure. Are there nicer ones for the price? I don't really think so. I got my 62qt for $110 shipped (prime) a couple years ago, and added a weldless ballvalve.

Is the Polarware going to be worth almost double the price? Hell no.

that kettle is absolutely fine for five gallon batches IMO. Unless you have some sort of jet powered burner I rather doubt you will experience scorching. RDWHAHB

any kettle will scorch extract if it is not mixed well prior to heating...your kettle is fine, actually quite nice, no buyers remorse needed at all!

I have the 24 and the 36, and a blichmann....I use my bayou classics more...

+ 1 on the bayou classic kettles. I just bought (delivered today!) 2 of the 42 quart aluminum bayou classic stockpots with steamer baskets off of Amazon. For $54.26 each, it's a steal - and now I am finally making the jump to all-grain and full-boils. I also got the bayou classic double-burner a few months back (as I make 2 different brews side by side each brew day) - which does an amazing job of getting a lot of water to a boil VERY quickly. For easy low-tech brewing, can't beat the value of these. I also use two 5-gallon round coolers for mashing (maxes out at about 12 lbs of grain with fairly thick mash). All of these items combined are about the cheapest way I've found to go all grain. (None of my mash tuns/kettles have valves or anything, so as long as you don't mind lifting a little bit - no problems with this setup).

Cheers on the new kettle! Have fun and happy brewing!:drunk:

Been brewing with a 32qt Bayou Classic SS kettle for the last two years. I use it with the SQ14 burner and am very happy with the kettle. I usually load it up with 6.5 to 7 gallons of wort and just watch it carefully. Never had a boil over.

Back