will my beer carbonate at 35-45 degrees F (1-10 C)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlmuml

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I just made my first Hefeweizen beer. I bottled it with app. 5 g of sugar. Will my beer carbonate in a cellar at app 35-45 F or do I have to move it to 70 or so? Because my last beer had no foam and i waited for 3 weeks or even more, so I don't want to spoil this one :). Thanks!

I hope you meant 5g of sugar per bottle?! And no,those low temps will not carb the beer. The yeast will go dormant at such low temps. Bring them up to 70F & they'll start to carb as they warm up.

oook i will. for how long should I keep them at 70 (threee weeks or so)? and should I after the carbonation put them back at 35?? will this affect taste of the beer? and yes I ment 5g per bottle :)

3 weeks should be good, and then putting them back to 35 will be perfect, they will settle and clear out.

As an experiment I placed 5 fresh bottles in my primary room at 16C and 5 bottles in regular dry storage (20-22C). After 2 weeks the 5 bottles in my fermentation (Cold) room feel like they did the day I bottled em. The ones in the dry storage have firmed up considerably and worth a test drive.. Even a few degrees is making a huge difference. At your temp,I agree with whats stated above. I could only assume no carb will happen. You should put Lager in it's place. However, you haven't ruined your beer.

Also,beers carbonate faster than they condition. They may be carbonated & pretty good at 3 weeks,but are often peaking at 4 or 5 weeks. Plus at least a week in the fridge goes a long way for good head & longer lasting carbonation.

Also,beers carbonate faster than they condition. They may be carbonated & pretty good at 3 weeks,but are often peaking at 4 or 5 weeks. Plus at least a week in the fridge goes a long way for good head & longer lasting carbonation.

I noticed this too. It's hard to keep beer in my fridge untouched for a week tho ... 2 days seems to be the status quo... Haha. I am putting in some beer for the super bowl this weekend. I bet its gone by Thurs... :rockin:

Back