I want to talk about filtration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcnewcp

Reaction score
Brewers,

As an avid homebrewer, I've always kept my beer unfiltered for various reasons. The only thing I remove is hop solids, post boil. I've recently discussed this issue with a friend who dumps it all into the fermenter, hop solids and all, and he swears by it. I've always thought that hop solids needed to be removed, but I have no real explanations for why. What are your thoughts/experiences?

The only filtering that gets done by me, is through my kidneys. My beer is extremely clear just from long primaries, EVEN when I just dump everything into the fermenter from the kettle.

It's really one of those preferences.

The only 'filtering' I do in my brews is using a hop spider for adding the hops. Everything else goes into primary. As with Revvy, I use long primaries (very rarely racking to another vessel, and then only for a damned great reason) and get very clear brews from it.

The only 'filtering' I do in my brews is using a hop spider for adding the hops.

This is what my question was mainly about. Do you think leaving the hop solids unfiltered will have any adverse affects on flavor?

Nope. IMO/IME flavor will (or should) be the same either way. I do find it easier to use tbe spider compared with using smaller bags for the hops. I use the spider to keep most of the hop matter out of my plate chiller.

I really started bagging my hops when I was washing my yeast. It just made it easier if I didn't need to deal with the extra organic matter. I might wash one strain soon, since its one I really like and still a "private collection" only strain. If Wyeasy does make it available year round then I won't need to wash it.

I use the spider to keep most of the hop matter out of my plate chiller.

I really started bagging my hops when I was washing my yeast. It just made it easier if I didn't need to deal with the extra organic matter.

Ok, none of my equipment or processes are affected by hop solids, so I think I'll just stop removing them. The only reason I did it in the first place was because I thought it would affect flavor, for some reason.

I have never thought of removing hop matter. My use of a secondary is for splitting batches and when I do this I end up with a more "filtered" beer. I've been on this kick of bottling half then doing whatever comes to mind for second half. Such as wood cubes for a stout or having a half peach half apricot pale.

I enjoy finding bits of hops in random bottles. I guess it reminds me that I made it. Although some people trying my beers make faces at this, but whatever. I have no opinion on affecting flavor as I never remove. Since you do remove hop matter you will have a great comparison on any affect by changing your method.

Oh yeah. Talking with a local brewing at his home the other day he was floored that I toss hops right in. If I had to guess I would think the 51%+ just toss hops in. He uses a hop bag and he is all about clear beer. Kind of funny 'cause my beers are the only beers I want and he doesn't like my beers at all do to the matter in them. Filtering is very important to some and doesn't cross the minds of others. To each his own:)

I agree with 99% of what I've read here, but once in a while, you want to brew a crystal clear Pilsner. Obviously the taste is there, but I've never really managed to get the crystal clarity of a filtered beer.
I've just switched from Irish Moss to Whirlflock... maybe that will help.

Ok... Let's assume we want to filter once in a rare while. Without spending a lot of money for a plate filter, what are the {cheap} options?

I was going to try a $5 in-line refrigerator filter. The kind used for ice cubes.

Someone posted that he split a batch between two fermenters. The top half out of the kettle was clear. The bottom half had break material, etc. In the end he was surprised that the one with the break material came out clearer in the final product.

I'm not concerned about clear beer myself. Obviously I don't want to drink a beer that looks like a starter, but I'm going for flavor not clarity. I typically dump everything from the kettle into the fermenter. When i brew a 10 gallon batch with my buddies keggle he trys to keep all the break/hop material out. I don't notice a difference with either method. My racking technique from fermenter to bottling bucket has more to do with clarity than what goes into the fermenter.

I used to filter the hops solids and after making a mess every other batch I decided to NOT filter and just dump 99% into my fermentor.

I see zero problems, no flavor difference and my beer can be as crystal clear. HOWEVER . . . . . .

I do use a secondary which will have sediment on the bottom and when I transfer into a bottling bucket I'll lose a little as any sediment left will be on the bottom.

I did a Pliny clone a few years back and 5 gallons each into two fermenters. The second fermenter had all the hop and other trub, it was incredibly bitter and undrinkable. So in my own experience it isn't the best process. I have my hops in bags now because of my plate chiller, but even without the chiller I'd keep it from the fermenter. Cold break goes in because I believe it to be beneficial to the yeast.

Bell's sticker I have on my kegerator..."If God wanted us to filter our beer, he wouldn't have given us livers."

I do the same as the majority posting here. I dump it all in apart from the thickest bits of sludge in the bottom of the kettle. After 4 weeks in the fermenter and another 2 to 4 in the keg, my beers are as clear as I care to have them.

Back